Preferred training blade

Discussion in 'General' started by ajs1976, Sep 22, 2006.

1. ajs1976

ajs1976 New Member

What type of training blade do you prefer: Wood, plastic, rubber, aluminium, other?

Why?

2. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Aluminium.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I like Sharkees. Aluminum makes a lot of sense, I know...but I just plain like the Sharkees. What can I say?

4. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

What are Sharkees, Arnisador?

5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I definately like aluminum and then wood. Plus lots of variety in size, shape and feel of the training knives I work with.

6. ajs1976

ajs1976 New Member

7. pesilat

pesilat Junior Member

Mine, in order of preference, are aluminum, wood, hard plastic/rubber. I don't like "floppy" rubber trainers at all - though they do have a place in sparring.

My reasoning for this order is simple. Aluminum behaves like a real knife as far as getting control of the weapon and other aspects. Also, aluminum trainers tend to more closely resemble real blades which makes it easier for people to remember that they *are* doing blade training and that it should be taken seriously.

Wood and hard plastic/rubber are decent because they at least behave like real blades for the most part.

Mike

8. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

9. Bill Bednarick

Bill Bednarick Junior Member

I like the aluminum trainers that I make for drills and coldsteel rubber trainers for sparring. If there is going to be alot of contact I either use the rubber knives, or use a bracer with the aluminum blades.

10. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

I like wood because i like to make my own trainers.
    I have never bought a aluminum trainer but I think I would love the feel of them if I used them.
    As for the rubber ones, I use the hard rubber, the floppy ones just do not handle correctly

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The floppy ones drive me crazy. It's like practicing with cooked spaghetti. But, I grant they sometimes have safety benefits.

12. STGHA

STGHA New Member

I love the feel of Aluminum blades. It gives you that "this is a knife" feel on both sides of the blade.
    I make alot of trainers myself, so if any of you need some, let me know!
    Steve

13. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Aluminum. It looks and feels like the real thing.

14. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

15. ajs1976

ajs1976 New Member

I ended up getting a sharkee for now, so I would have it for the Inosanto seminar I went to. Since I was only there for the first day, I didn't even use it.

After I start training, I will look into getting an aluminum one.