Practicing with BOB

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by ajs1976, Jun 5, 2006.

1. ajs1976

ajs1976 New Member

Does anyone use a BOB for stick training? I'm wondering how well they hold up.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Mr. Hartman has several at his school. We beat them like...we beat Bob Hubbard. They take a surprising amount of abuse. I too thought the sticks would tear them up.

3. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

The sticks, the BOBS and this Bob. :D

4. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

If it is in your budget I would recommend getting one.

5. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Has anyone had noise issues with using a BOB in an apartment? Some folks have advised me of such a concern, but when I banged on one at Datu Hartman's school, they didn't seem that loud to me.

6. ajs1976

ajs1976 New Member

I have one of the medium sized wave masters with a base that is about the same size as the one on Bob. I had it filled with water and whenever I would punch or kick it, it would tip a little and then slam back down onto the floor. Depending on the technique it will also slide across the floor, which can also be loud.

I replaced the water with sand (it was leaking) and put some puzzle matts under it and it is quiter now.

7. MSTCND

MSTCND New Member

If I remember correctly from the 2003 Winter Camp... Bob takes a surprising amount of abuse (physical and otherwise) as well!

:viking:

8. kellygemini12

kellygemini12 -== Banned ==-

BoB is one bad dude,he takes a lickin and keeps on sittin,he dont care how good you are, you cant beat him!

9. Ron B

Ron B Junior Member

I will be looking into getting a bob when I get my income tax refund next year.I train alone alot and it will be a good investment to practice targeting.

10. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

whats a bob?

11. Carol

Datu Hartman may say this is a Bob...(Bob Hubbard, that is) ;)

[​IMG]

The thread is referring to Century's Body Opponent Bag, or BOB. It's a body-shaped vinyl "bag".

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. ricthedic

ricthedic -== Banned ==-

Looks like Bob got beat up tomany times! Just kidding Bob!

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

It's a Body Opponent Bag; A molded upper torso for striking practice. They work well.

14. Datu Tim Hartman

How did you know?

15. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

In class we dont have a Bob yet, so Abe gets beat up alot.

16. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

Actually in here in Hawaii we have more bannana trees than Bobs so alot of the old timers use bannana trees in our back yards.

17. Carol

I saw that demonstrated on a "Mind, Body, and Kickass Moves" (BBC series) clip on YouTube. That looks like a really cool way to practice.

18. Carol

What happens at the Meet and Greet, stays at the Meet and Greet. :D

19. ricthedic

ricthedic -== Banned ==-

Use Bob correctly

Bob is a great training tool if you know how to use it,you should have your teacher show you what drills to do,if you dont,you could learn things that dont work in real fight! Always ask your teacher if what your doing is correct! He or she knows best!

20. Datu Tim Hartman

Good Point!