practice swords

Discussion in 'Misc. Sword Arts' started by lonecoyote, Oct 19, 2005.

1. kroh

kroh New Member

Thanks for the input...I look forward to getting a pairand trying em out ...
    Regards,
    Walt

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

My wife ordered me two of these for Christr\mas. (They only sent one--apparently "Kris" herself called my wife to apologize! My wife felt they handled it very professionally. Number two is on the way, we're told.) I really like it. It's got a nice feel and a nice weight. Of course it's not built for heavy banging, but I like the feel of it. It brings out my sword-like movements better than a cane does and I'm glad I have it.

But, now I want a larger (wooden) sword. This one is good but I need a bigger one for comparison purposes!

3. Alakd'an

Alakd'an New Member

We have an Instructor at Alakd'an Modern Arnis Club who machines our training swords and knives/daggers out of oak, maple and aluminum. Check out our web site at www.alakdanarnisador.com for photos. We can create any style of bolo in wood or aluminum. You may contact "Buzz" Harrison directly 810-656-5814.

4. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

The feel of the KrisCutlery bolo's is great! I use them for
    a lot of different drills. I also like to use aluminum trainers
    as well as the real thing. Nothing beats training with
    different tools, different sizes, different types of wood,
    metal, synthetic etc. If one trains like this then it does
    not matter what you pick up you will adapt to using it.

Brian R. VanCise
    www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

5. James Miller

James Miller Member Supporting Member

Datu Hartman just got some new training blades in over the weekend. For those interested in getting some contact him at admin@horizonma.com

:bow:

Attached Files:

6. Brian R. VanCise

7. James Miller

James Miller Member Supporting Member

Mr Hartman has them made in Canada. There are plans for more designs in the near future.

8. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Brian,

The Journeyman who did the finish work on the two aluminum trainers I have that you have seen makes these. He is the Nephew of the guy I was telling you about. I like Jason Arnold's Work, which you can see in the picture.

9. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Yup,

Jason does great work!

10. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Hello All,

I can highly recommend the blades from Alkadan Arnis. They are beautifully done & hold up great to hard hitting.

Peace

11. Bill Bednarick

Bill Bednarick Junior Member

Brian,
    How are the trainers I made holding up for you? I'm going to be building some more when the weather warms up.

12. Brian R. VanCise

Hey Bill,

These trainers are great! Definately some of the best that
    I have handled. Hopefully you will open up a store soon so
    that everyone can get some.

Brian R. VanCise
    www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

14. Douglas

Douglas New Member

Obviously the rattan baston is the original practice sword. :) However, with a blade, the edge orientation is critical, and a trainer with realistic blade profile is a plus.

Oak is usually the wood that is used, although hickory and ash tend to take more punishment before they crack. My $.02...

15. 408kali

408kali New Member

Looked for this group on the net and couldn't find anything. The link is invalid.

I'm very interested in checking out what these folks have available.

I'll call as a last resort!

~John

16. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I can't get the link to work either!

17. 408kali

408kali New Member

18. 408kali

408kali New Member

I've tried cloth hockey tape and its sticky, as in the sticky stuff gets on your hand and stick. I recently tried some matte tape for picture frames/crafts and it works GREAT.
    I used it on a homemade Sjambok I made and fashioned a worthy handle.
    I'm going to use it on one of my little rattan sticks to replace the old handle.
    If I can I'll post some pics of the tape I'm talking about, and provide more info (I jacked the tape from my wife's craft table hehehehe).

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

Wow. I forgot about this thread entirely for, what, two years?! Shameful! :)

In any event, I'm glad you liked the TAKKnife sticks. I've been really pleased with the knife I got there as well. And I'm seriously considering getting the Equalizer. (It's the practice sword patterned after a Filipino design.) He's also got some practice barong available (on a limited basis). Seriously thinking about picking one of them up as well.

If I were a rich man...

20. Bill Bednarick

Bill Bednarick Junior Member

I just made these up and am putting a them in the Ad forum.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2007