Pocket Sticks.

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by arnisador, Apr 26, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I'm wondering if the concentrated force is 'spent' on the fracture with little left to displace the whole skull, while the distributed force, since it doesn't go 'into' the break, can displace the whole skull and cause the concussion...sort of like a bullet causes much damage but doesn't propel the body backwards, but an equivalent hit from the flat of a shovel would move the body back.

Just thinking out loud...

2. nash

nash New Member

This again is a very good question. I'm not too sure about how that would work. I guess here we can examine the mechanics of brick or board breaking. Since the skull is relativley thin it may work like a stack of bricks. A stack of individual bricks is easierto break than a slap of the same height (which would be the thickness of the slab). It has to do with the pressure required to break a material. The pressure to break a half inch brick is considerabley less than a 6 foot thick brick of the same material. The pressure will transfer to the next brick as you drive through. So can it be the same with the brain? If you break the skull and try to drive through could you cause the pressure to transfer to the brain and cause a concussion?

3. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I think a bullet would still cause concussive damage to the brain as well as the penitration, so my guess would be that a pocket stick would do the same.

4. nash

nash New Member

Ok, I just got done talking to a medic friend of mine. He said that a concussion is in reality the brain swelling and pressing against the skull. When I asked him if fracturing or punturing the skull would cause a concussion, he said that he doesn't know. But since the brain is such a sensitive organ, it is likely that the brain would swell and press against the skull causing pressure, dialated pupils and memory loss. These are all symptoms of a concussion which can be seen in victims of fractured skulls and gunshot wounds. So in cunclusion it is likely that a fracture skull would cause a concussion, however it could cause serious damage to the brain. So what is better, a minor bit of damage letting you escape the dangers, or possibly causing some brain damage to the attacker?

5. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

I'm...not a medic. I can only speak in regards to what I learned in rehab from a car accident when I was 17. There are different grades of concussions and different levels of injury. Mine was bad but not life-threatening. A break in the skull I would think would be a life threatening injury.

In terms of what is better for the defender...in many ways that is a legal question. In my state, if one is arrested fighting with anything except empty hands, the state will bring Assault with a Deadly Weapon charges. These charges have been brought on people for having shod feet (a foot with shoes on), for having a pen in their hand, and a variety of other circumstances that I think are a bit ludicrous but...it is the law and I must abide by it.

So...in terms of what is better for the defender...the best answer I can come up with is...the amount of force that is necessary for the situation.

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Hmmm...a good point. Even if the initial trauma didn't cause swelling the way a punch would, the secondary effects quickly would.

7. nash

nash New Member

Exactly Carol, and the only time deadly force is authorized (deadly force in military terms is defined by the most amount of force needed to make an apprehention) is when your life is in danger. There are certain steps that should be followed. Shout, show, shove, shoot is what we use. Shout at the assailant to get everyones attention. Show that you do have the means to injure them. Shove them away, and then use the greatest amount of force needed to neutralize the situation.

8. DAMAG-INC

DAMAG-INC New Member

I've been working on the same stuff with the unopened knife. In this video link below I used simple English terms for the layman instead of using the FMA terms (i.e. "gunting", "pak-sak"-etc.). I made it as easy as possible to comprehend for this demonstration for the Gen. public.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g6gZMOlWEw

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I think about this often--how I could use an unopened folder as a dulo-dulo, at the least to buy time to open it.