Please Help me find an FMA school

Discussion in 'General' started by firstmode, Jul 31, 2010.

1. firstmode

firstmode New Member

Hello!

I would like to train FMA! It has been years since I trained but would love to get back into it with my wife.

I am looking for a school near Hoffman Estates, IL

Thanks!!

2. adam t babb

adam t babb New Member

guro nate defensor is in the chigaco area

3. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

4. tim_stl

tim_stl Junior Member

5. pguinto

pguinto New Member

Sergei Aberilla of TCE might be available. I had a few sessions with him at the Woodfield Bally's before i screwed up my left ACL (Note: he is not associated with Bally's).
    You could probably reach him thru the TCE Webmaster at www.tacosa.com

6. billc

billc New Member

I used to train with Nate Defensor but now I train at the Midway Kodenkan with a Dekiti Tirsia Sirada instructor, John Bednarski. I have trained with quite a few people in the area and would have to say that John has a great deal of knowledge and has the ability to teach that knowledge. DTS Kali is a blade based FMA that John learned from Jerson "nene" Tortal. He also has knowledge of Kombatan, Kali Ilustrisimo, and several other styles of FMA. He also teaches Silat at the school. If you are interested in the FMA I would highly recommend training at the Midway Kodenkan with John. On August 14 and 15 John is hosting the Pacific Island Gathering, a seminar and tournament event. If you can make it, it would be a great way to see the school, meet John, and participate in a bunch of seminars and demonstrations of traditional FMA's as well as a family style of wing chun. Some of the arts that will be participating are Modern Arnis, BAlintawak, Bandalan Doce Pares, and I think that John will be demonstrating as well. I have to say that of the FMA teachers I have known, it would be worth your while to check out the kodenkan. There is a lot on offer if you really want to do FMA, especially blade based FMA. Check out their website and check out the Pacific Island Gathering thread here on FMAtalk.com. If you have any questions you can send a message. Thanks.

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I can put in a good word for John Bednarski, whom I have met! You'll train well and eat well with him. :)