please help me find a filipino martial arts school

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by alpina, Sep 21, 2007.

1. alpina

alpina New Member

Hello everybody,my name is Al Pina i'm looking for a filipino martial arts school in my area which is northern virginia,i cannot find anything on the net,tank you all for your help

2. Cuts and Bruises

Cuts and Bruises New Member

Va Fma

How far are you from Fredricksburg? Professor A.P. Marinas is headquartered there. Pananandata is quite the system if you are a weapons geek, like me! http://pananandata.net/

This is as good a place to start as any.

Hope this helped.

Salamat!
    B

3. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

Welcome, there is and will be lots of info here about where schools are at seminars coast to coast etc.... Welcome

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

From www.wmarnis.com.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Brian Pancia
    Alexandria, VA
    [/FONT]panciab@comcast.net

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2009
  5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Hey Al good luck in your search and I hope you find a good FMA school.

6. alpina

alpina New Member

thanks for all you help,keep them coming...............

7. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Welcome to FMAtalk. :wavey: Starting up training is a very exciting time. Please let us know how you do with school selection and training!

8. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Contacting Professor Marinas of Pananandata would be a great idea if you're anywhere near Fredricksburg, VA.

If you're near Washington, D.C. you might consider Dr. David Wink. He teaches Pekiti Tirsia Arnis.

Best,

Steve

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

10. anubis4b

anubis4b New Member

Welcome.

11. jedtkd

jedtkd New Member

Maryland Bulls

Kumusta,
    I am not quite sure of your location but we are just south of Baltimore, MD. My instructors are Apolo and Bobby Ladra and we are the only authorized school to teach Pekiti Tirsia. You can call and talk to Master Apolo at Apolo's Karate. The # there is 410-768-7788. Also we are having a seminar on November 10 & 11 by Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje, the foremost expert in Pekiti Tirsia and FMA. You can get more info on that seminar under the Pekiti Tirsia page and also how to contact Master Apolo and Guro Bobby as well as myself. Looking forward to hearing from you, Jed

12. alpina

alpina New Member

Thanks Jed,your location is about 1 1/2 hrs from my home (Manassas,Va),i'll try to make it to the seminar next month,i'm still looking for a Guro close to my area but there is no one so far so i practice at home with my two sons using instructional dvd and some advice fro other Eskrimadores,thank you for the post and hope to see you next month...adios

13. Guro Marc

Guro Marc New Member

Hoy,
    Kumusta Po? Fine? I am out here on the West Coast in Southern California area. I teach and train in a Visyan Fighting Art called Pa'Kamut (PAKAMUT). I am always looking for others who wish to learn and practice FMA.

14. alpina

alpina New Member

thanks Guro Marc if you have any material that would help me let me know i would enjoy hearing more about FMA

15. madmicah

madmicah New Member

FMA in Northern Virginia

once you check out the school in maryland, you also might want to check out One Spirit Martial Arts in Herndon, VA (onespiritmartialarts.com). not a ton in the way of FMA but there is a decent Kali-JKD class that meets twice/week. good instructor and good bunch of guys at onespirit. not quite frequently enough but it's a start.
    good luck

16. alpina

alpina New Member

Thank you I'll check this guys out this week and let you know
    thanks again..............Al

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

Alexandria isn't especially close to you. But if you're willing to head out this way, we've got a group. It's not Brian Pancia's group, though the majority of people in this group are also from Modern Arnis. Most of my background is Doce Pares.

There's also the Trident Academy in Woodbridge. They're a JKD Concepts school, but they might have a dedicated FMA class. I'm not sure. One Spirit has already been mentioned. There's a lot of options in Maryland. The Ladra family and the Patalinghug family are both near Baltimore. There's a couple of JKD teachers in and around Columbia, Maryland. John Jacobo is there as well. I'm pretty sure he's a moderator here at FMATalk, but I might be wrong about that.

There are a few other options, but that oughta get you started. If you're interested in having a look at the group I mentioned, drop me a PM.

Stuart

18. jbyrd808

jbyrd808 New Member

Northern VA

I am currently getting ready to move to Leesburg. I will keep in touch. I know that is fairly close maybe we can train together.

19. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Looks like Bryan Mossey teaches the JKD/KALI classes in Herndon, VA. Try his website as well. http://www.scubajkd.com/

20. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Thumbs up for John Bailie

I know this thread is pretty old but I am new on the forum so I thought I would chime in. If you are still in Manassas and still looking, you may want to consider looking in Gainesville as it is only about 7 miles away. I do not know whether or not Bryan Mossey is still teaching. I tried calling him and sending him e-mails for a month straight with no response. Also, GM Marinas (sp?) wants a year tuition paid prior to starting your first class according to an e-mail he sent to me when I was looking. Something you may wish to consider when looking for a school that works for you.

Regards and I hope you ended up finding something you like!

Take care,

Jason

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2009