PlayStation 3 Violence.

Discussion in 'The Den' started by arnisador, Nov 18, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I'm surprised by just how much PS3-related violence there is out there. In Conn., a couple of robbers decided that a bunch of kids waiting in line to buy $500-600 devices was too tempting a target to pass up, resulting in one victim shot when he didn't hand over the money. In Indiana, two would-be robbers followed two men home to steal their PS3s, using a chain and tire iron; one of the criminals was stabbed in the resulting altercation. Two video game store employees were robbed of games at gunpoint in Englewood, OH, and a PA teen was robbed of his game at gunpoint.

What a mess! People were trampled in Fresno and there were other such problems as well. They need a better way to distribute these games. If this happens again with the PS4, it's negligence on the part of the distributors, to my mind.

2. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

The violence largely isn't over a game, it's over a huge scalping opportunity.

PS3 systems are listing for $2500-3000 on eBay.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

It's amazing to me that they can sell them for that much more...it's like, as you suggest, scalping of tickets.

The dangers of this type of situation were discussed in the JKD class this morning. I wonder if the maker will be held responsible for creating
    such dangerous situations?

4. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

I don't know if they will or not. It sounds to me like Sony is starting to field some bad press about the incidents and have announced that they are "working to improve their distribution."

Somehow I'm left thinking that all of this is just lip service...

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member