Pinute training

Discussion in 'Misc. Sword Arts' started by davidtorez, Feb 3, 2009.

1. davidtorez

davidtorez New Member

What are some of the different FMA styles that incorporate the use of the single pinuti in their training, as I really am interested in this type of sword mostly.

Thanks in advance,

David Torez

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

My style doesn't really differentiate much between different types of swords!

3. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Pinute

Look for styles originating from Cebu. That said, the pinute is a somewhat longer, somewhat thinner bolo compared to most bolos so any style that uses a somewhat longer stick or bladed weapon (i.e. not a short or heavy weapon) will adapt quite well to the pinute.

You may find that the following styles adapt well to the pinute:

Pekiti Tirsia Kali
    Lighting Scientific Arnis
    Kalis Illustrisimo
    De Campo 123 Original
    Doce Pares Eskrima
    San Miguel Eskrima

The following DVD's might also be helpful:

Anything from the Atienza brothers.
    Fighting with Sabre and Cutlass (Anthony de Longis)

Best,

Steve

4. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

Hello David,

My apologies for the late reply. You actually have a lot to choose from. That style of blade is common all over the Visayas. The Ilonggo version of Pinuti/Pinute used by not only the Tortal family but many others in Negros and Panay as well is called "Talibong" or "Tenegre". They are all custom fit or personal preference blades, it is up to you how thick, heavy, long, curved the blade will be, the style of guard or even which materials you want the Panday to make the hilt and sheath from. There numerous styles of Arnis/Eskrima that use the Talibong in Negros alone. Each style is a custom fit too. If you want, email me mike@dtskali.com and I will give you the names and contact information for some of the instructors and systems in Negros Occidental.

God Bless, Mike

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Each a custom fit! How very labor-intensive that must be!

6. davidtorez

davidtorez New Member

Thank you for your responses fellas. I already have a pinute which i got through Ron at traditionalfilipinoweapons.com. It is serving me quite well actually, and I like the length and balance of the thing. Same length as the stick I use for my JKD/kali practise.

Have a good one.

Dave Torez

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

My JKD instructor has always treated the stick as a stick--never a sword!

8. Charlie

Charlie New Member

I know Grandmaster Cabales owns a Pinute and that is the sword of preference for him. He also has his dads Kris Grandmaster Angel Cabales used a custom made Kris. I have always preferred the Visayan Barong, so it’s just a matter of preference when training with a sword. I have seen videos of Grandmaster Illustrisimo training with what looked to be a Visayan Barong I could be wrong but I have seen other videos of his students working with Pinutes. As long as the sword is generally the same size for your art then it really does not matter. No close range art is going to use a Kampalan (sp?) and no long range art is going to prefer the Pinute.