Physical conditioning in FMA

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TheSilentOne, Jan 16, 2009.

1. TheSilentOne

TheSilentOne New Member

Pavel Tsatsouline's kettlebells cost a fortune. Are there any high quality kettlebells for a reasonable price ?

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

[​IMG]

(Uechi-ryu karate, from here.)

3. punisher73

punisher73 Member

Muscle memory does exist. It just an easier way to say "myelination" and people will understand what you are saying easier. Myelination is the process of that happnes when new information is learned. Myelin is a fatty protein that the brain releases to coat the connection between two dendrites. It is done the first time a connection is made. The more reps done the "thicker" the connection. To put it another way. When you first learn a physical skill, your body has no specific way to do it. It will try and find the closest "program" to help you out. This is why your movements take lots more energy and muscle to do. As you properly learn the skill your body starts to get rid of the unnecessary things until it becomes fluid and efficient. It is at this point when it becomes an almost unconscious process that people call it "muscle memory".

4. punisher73

punisher73 Member

I think they sell them on ebay. I'm not sure of the comparable price though. I have also seen them at MC Sporting goods (up to 25 lbs) because they are becoming the "in thing" now.

For those that use them, are they really that much better than just doing the exercises with a DB?

5. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Yes, the weight has an awkward balance to it so, there are more stablizing muscle groups used when using them.

Heath- Century carries kettlebells as well, and you really don't need a very heavy one to start out with. I have a 20# I'll try to remember to bring to class for you to try. That'll be a good guage as to what weight you'd need.