Physical conditioning in FMA

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TheSilentOne, Jan 16, 2009.

1. TheSilentOne

TheSilentOne New Member

2. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Don't worry about using conditioning exercises specifically from FMA. Just find a good fitness professional to get you going in the right direction. Make sure that they have the credentials, experience, and educational background to properly guide you. Just like Martial Arts instruction, there are plenty of frauds and self appointed gurus out there. Do your homework and you will be much better off in the long run, not to mention less likely to get injured and you will make better progress. Anyone can put you on a cookie cutter workout program that they got out of last months muscle mag or from a weekend seminar by crossfit. A properly educated fitness professional will be able to design something specific for your needs and properly evaluate your progress over time. In addition, any issues that come up along the way will be more likely to be dealt with in an intelligent fashion.

I strongly recommend looking for someone with either at least a bachelor's degree in a fitness related field and who has certification from the American College of Sports Medicine, the National Strength and Conditioning Association, or USA Weightlifting.

After that, just train hard and consistently and the rest will take care of itself.

3. sjansen

sjansen New Member

As far as college degrees, they are over rated. I have four and know that what you are told by a well educated and experienced instructor is far superior to anything that you will get from someone with a bachelor's degree. Just doing the FMA exercises reopeatedly should train your body to meet or exceed what is necessarry for FMA. These exercises are body specific and only doing the exercises you do in class will ingrain the proper muscle memory and strengthen the muscles needed. I work out weekly and am still fatigued in the shoulder region after a good FMA session. Seek guidance from your instructor. They and your body will tell you what you need to work on.

4. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Your FMA instructor is unlikely to know jack about how to properly condition your body. They are trained to teach you a set of skills that is FMA they are not trained to understand how the body responds to work and to improve your conditioning, strength, or power. If they were, they would know that there is no such thing as muscle memory.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I think you're both right--doing FMA prepares you to do FMA, but it won't provide overall conditioning. For that, consult a trainer at a gym!

6. tiburon2112

tiburon2112 New Member

Invest the time to see what fitness strategy works for you. I view physical fitness as "combative conditioning" and incorporate body weight exercises (a la Steve Cotter, Steve Maxwell), CF workouts w/ dumbells & kettlebells, heavy bag, skip rope, elastic strength bands, running/sprint intervals into a timed 30-40min session.

My recommendation: research....consult with a trained professional....set your personal goals....decide on your combative conditioning strategy....do it....monitor your performance and adjust routine, as req'd. Partially concur with jwinch2. Train hard and train consistently.

After consulting with a fitness professional and trying your plan, you can view some interesting workouts that are posted on CF, DBMA, and WarriorTalk websites/forums.

"Remember, success is a journey, not a destination. Have faith in your abilities" - Bruce Lee

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  7. tiburon2112

tiburon2112 New Member

Comtative Conditioning

Invest the time to see what fitness strategy works for you. I view physical fitness as "combative conditioning" and incorporate body weight exercises (a la Steve Cotter, Steve Maxwell), CF workouts w/ dumbells & kettlebells, heavy bag, skip rope, elastic strength bands, running/sprint intervals into a timed 30-40min session.

My recommendation: research....consult with a trained professional....set your personal goals....decide on your combative conditioning strategy....do it....monitor your performance and adjust routine, as req'd. Partially concur with jwinch2. Train hard and train consistently.

After consulting with a fitness professional and trying your plan, you can view some interesting workouts that are posted on CF, DBMA, and WarriorTalk websites/forums.

"Remember, success is a journey, not a destination. Have faith in your abilities" - Bruce Lee

8. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Footwork drills are a great way to improve cardio while working on FMA as well as sparring. I've used heavier sticks for drilling techniques as well.

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

A good cardio workout is just going crazy with your stickwork on a dummy or tree, working in your footwork as suggested--continue until exhausted, or your sticks wear out!

10. TheSilentOne

TheSilentOne New Member

That made me wonder What are the European and Asian organizations dedicated to physical fitness in speed, power and strength like the U.S. organizations ACSM and the NSCA ? and thanks to the guys for the replies.

11. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

The UK Strength and Conditioning Association and the European College of Sports Science are both quite reputable. The NSCA has chapters in Japan and China as well which are very active.

12. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I forgot to mention that. I really need to get around to making those tire dummies....

13. TheSilentOne

TheSilentOne New Member

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Tak Kubota--he's great!Eh, some extreme training there though...

15. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Yes a tire dummy, tree or even a good heavy bag makes for an excellent work out! [​IMG] I make sure that bag work is an integral part of my every day work out routine. I will say though that I do vary it up with what I am doing. (stick, empty hand, etc)

16. Brock

Brock Asha'man

You wanna' see some extreme karate training I'd say look at Goju-Ryu's Morio Higaonna Sensei.

17. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Kettlebells, Kettlebells, Kettlebells

18. TheSilentOne

TheSilentOne New Member

19. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Got one sitting in my living room so it's the 1st thing I see in the morning when the coffee makes my brain function!:kaioken:

20. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Kettle bells rule! [​IMG]