Pekiti Tirsia Instructional Clips

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by PeteNerd, Nov 15, 2007.

1. PeteNerd

PeteNerd Member

2. PeteNerd

PeteNerd Member

3. odalisay

odalisay Member

Nice videos!

4. blindside

blindside student

Those are great, thanks!

5. kswei

kswei New Member

Yes, agreed.. we really need more instruction video like this.. hope there will be a series like this. Thanks !!

6. kuntaokali

kuntaokali New Member

Great videos, I've never had the chance to work with Maginoo Tim Waid, But I think he might be comming to the school I train at in a few months,
    I can't wait. Great foot work!
    I think he'll be a perfect supplement to Grand Tuhon Gaje's training.

7. Kamao

Kamao New Member

:)

Grand Tuhon said: "I am the book"

His students: We produce video and publish them in youtube

That is so funny!

8. Chris Wiggins

Chris Wiggins New Member

And your meaning is what exactly? Given the dearth of crap on YouTube I think it's instructive to have an accurate representation of PTK on the internet. Check the sarcasm please.

9. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Very nice!

10. mikesf

mikesf New Member

Thanks - those are great.. Can't wait to meet Tim.

Mike

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  11. St. Bernard

St. Bernard New Member

Kamao:
    Grand Tuhon Gaje certainly does say that he is the book, and he is the DVD. Obviously, he is right. I can tell you from personal experience that there is nothing better than training directly with the man I consider the world's greatest living martial artist. THAT being said, given the amount of material that both he and Maginoo Waid cover during any given training session it is of GREAT benefit for their students to be able to go back and review what they show us.
    I certainly appreciate Pete putting the videos up that he has, and am hopeful he will continue to do so.

12. Bogey

Bogey Guest

There is no problem at all with video clips in general, but what you have to keep in mind is what is a video clip and what is an instructional video clip.
    So, my point is:
    Is this really an instructional video?
    If so, where is the focus on? Is it didactically broken down?
    What makes it a PTK instructional video clip?

Sticking with the examples above:
    Most of you said, these would be good clips - we remember we talk about instructional video clips - so what are they about? What do you have to keep in mind? Do they focalize certain methods, techniques etc.? If so, which and why?
    Before anyone starts yelling at me - I know what they're about, and I also know the context of the things shown, can all of you say that?
    Another point would be the effect on outsiders. What conclusions do they derive from these clips? Do they understand? - Most probably not.
    By the way, does anybody want them to understand or even see sth?
    Last but not least:
    YOU CANNOT ASK A VIDEO ANYTHING! So where is the instruction? We train a highly individual combat system, personally, I don't want to be a product of mass production and I'm glad that Pekiti-Tirsia bears the opportunities to express MYSELF.

Conclusion: INSTRUCTIONAL videos, books, pictures => baaaaad!
    ;)
    So maybe we just don't call it instructional video clips but clips of a training session...
    :D

13. St. Bernard

St. Bernard New Member

I'm not going to bicker over semantics. Call them whatever you want.
    Also, who really cares what an outsider views them as? Pete is PTK and he put up the videos for other PTK people. That is enough for me.
    There is more to the clips than meets the eye, certainly more than the techniques demonstrated. Look at how a master instructor moves, look at how he flows, look at how he teaches. All of those things are worth watching for as well.

14. PeteNerd

PeteNerd Member

I just wanted to make a quick reply. Since I posted previous pekiti-tirsia video clips from various tv shows, Tim Waid and Tuhon asked me to help them post some other clips. As a favor I posted these instructional clips. They are what they are.

Pete

15. blindside

blindside student

Its a vid clip to some and an instructional to others.

I don't think non-Pekiti students are going to get much out of it, you might be able to pick up tidbits, but an understanding of what he is doing is going to be a big jump without already understanding BI/BO and D&P.

Lamont

16. mikesf

mikesf New Member

Bogey.. chill..

Have some popcorn, watch and enjoy...

It's just a video clip.

Mike

17. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I'd have to say that were you there that day then it would be an instructional clip. I can also say as someone who wasn't there and can still follow most of the clip that it's still an instructional clip because it gives me a little sense of what PTK is about and sparks my interest in it. This is also the same reason that Prof Pallen of Senkotiros Arnis has been asking for many of us to add clips to YouTube and others such as myself have them on our myspace pages etc.

18. MEG UK

MEG UK New Member

Well as an outsider :) to this system... the clip I watched looked great and I would definitely say it was instructional.

I am pretty sure I understood it - the punio drill is fairly well known is it not? across several styles and I liked the approach.

I think it's great to showcase your style whether instructional or not !
    Take care

Marcie