Pedoy's Derobio Escrima

Discussion in 'Pedoy's Derobio Escrima' started by Mchief, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Chief Bo

Chief Bo New Member

Hey Dad good to see this forum up. Will be back hopefully next week. Looking forward to seeing all the newly promoted Escrimadors!!! I'm happy to see the pics of grandpa up, looks good.

2. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

We Finally got a Forum!

Good Job Master Chief,
    Hope to see you at the Showdown, October 13th. Its gonna be bigger and better. Looking at around 100 fighters. Its gonna be a long day. We're will be having two rings.
    By the way how can we post some pics? I got some good ones.

Greetings from the Pedoy School of Escrima "Main Branch" Waipahu, Hawaii

Greg L

3. Mchief

Mchief New Member

Pic

Aloha Greg
    Email pic to csiangco@gmail.com Good to hear from you let your friends know about FMAtalk.
    Mchief

4. Mchief

Mchief New Member

Welcome on board. This is a good place to share Derbio. The moderators have deep respect for all FMA. We are one big Ohana.

5. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Ill try to take as many pics as possible.

I thought I would add this note about Arlan "Salty Dog" Sanford one of the founders of DBMA:

http://dogbrothers.com/wrapper.php?file=bios_sanford.htm

[FONT=arial, helvetica,times]Well here is my life story (at least in martial arts)

[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica,times]I started training about 11 or 12 years ago primarily in a sort of cobbled version of FMA with a little of the JKD stuff for empty hand. About 9 years ago I started with Chai, and in '88 was certified to teach Muay Thai under Chai. In the mean time I had done a little training with Tuhon Gaje when he was in Albuquerque, maybe 6 or 7 months of erratic training. About this time (88) I met Eric and Marc at a tournament in San Jose. I got to fight Eric in the open class. After the fights Eric invited me to come visit. I went in Jan. of 89 for 8 days. We went to the park and fought almost as soon as I got off the train, and we fought every night for literally hours for 8 days. What a way to start! We got together every 2 or 3 months after that sort, of pre Dog Brothers. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica,times]I started training with Punong Guro Edgar Sulite about 5 years ago and although I haven't taken all the certifications yet, he has me listed as a intermediate instructor. I have also been with Guro Dan; I am a 5th year apprentice instructor with him. I trained with Chief Dan Medina in Derobio Eskrima and was the last person promoted by Grandmaster Braulio Pedoy before he died, in Hawaii in 92. I am currently a second level red shirt instructor in Derobio. I started training with Ajarn Jason Webster in Krabi Krabong about three years ago. I also trained in Thailand with Arjan Samai at the Buddhai Swan swordfighting school in Bangkok. I will be going back this spring to finish and get my gold sash (Ajarn). I have also trained a little in Old style Muay Thai with Jason and Kevin Jakubs. I have been training the last year with Marcos Gonzales in Machado Jiu Jitsu. Of course I have continued fighting Dog Bros. I teach the stickfighting and I have a class in Thai Martial Arts (Krabi and Old style).[/FONT]​

6. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Who are the other Escrimadors? Are they still alive?

7. cityboy

cityboy New Member

Fighting Aspects of Derobio??

Masterchief Chris,
    I have a few questions on the art of Derobio....What ranges of combat does Derobio cover? Many of the arts specialize in a specific range i.e. short or long range. MMA is taking the form of mostly striking and grappling arts, how does Derobio compare? Does it have a striking component? A grappling component? How about kicks? Sorry for the many questions. I'm interested in finding an art that is practical and covers different ranges as well as fighting standing up and on the ground. One never knows where the fight will begin and where it will end up. Thanks for your insight and wisdom.
    Cityboy

8. Mchief

Mchief New Member

They have all passed.

9. Mchief

Mchief New Member

Pic

I have access to the media gallery on this site. Email me csiangco@gmail.com or post on the thread as an attachment.

Aloha
    Mchief

10. Mchief

Mchief New Member

Range of Motion

We cover all ranges because it begins long, we meet in the middle and we end it up close and personal. Our specialty is medium and close but I like to train in all ranges. Some because of health reasons cannot move in quick so we teach them how to defend from far away and that allow the attacker to move in on them and then counter. We practice what we call agaw joint manipulation and joint breaks. We also practice Dumog (grappling) but we don't wrestle. Before we take an attacker to the ground and we practice not to go that far, but if it does we break bones or dislocate joints before they reach the ground. The fight will end when your attacker realizes its no use to continue to be aggressive. But if your life and family is threaten we take it to a different level. We defend according the intensity of the attack.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  11. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Hey guys, the new Derobio Website looks great.
    Looks like there is still some more work to be done but it still looks good. Looking forward to when more information is available.

http://www.pedoysescrima.com/index.html

12. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

Brah, I posted this cause I felt it was a question only you could answer. So I pasted it here for you. See you in 2 weeks. A hui ho

#18 [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Today, 12:25 AM
    robertlk808 [​IMG] vbmenu_register("postmenu_16209", true);

[​IMG]
    Althought mentioned briefly I thought I would post this paragraph out of an article written by Ron Harris. Whether it is true, I dont know but perhaps MChief or StixMaster can enlighten us.

Certain styles evolved into long knife methods. Philippine Army General Faustino Ablin originally developed Derobio Eskrima for cavalry saber. After this style went to Hawaii under the late Braulio Pedoy, the saber techniques were practiced with stick, knife, and bolo. An emphasis was placed on locking and disarming. The revised techniques are not suitable when mounted.

The full article can be found at
    http://www.realfighting.com/issue7/rharris.html

13. Mchief

Mchief New Member

Gen. Ablen and Sabers

Because the Sword was long and heavy, Gen . Ablen realized that by moving low and outside of the strike he could evade and counter. Once inside the tip he could trap and cut with his bolo's. With short bolos' he could move in with speed and accuracy. Also when a Derobio man moves outside to evade he is also moving away from the short sword or Dagga. By the time the attacker brings the Dagga into play it is over.

14. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

Pacific Island Showdown II.jpg

15. Mchief

Mchief New Member

range

We also practice sikaran and ground work. Our kicks are low kicks.

16. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Greg tried to reply to your PM but got the following message:

email me at robertlk70@gmail.com and Ill try to help you out.

17. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

Reading and Learning

The blade training in Pedoy/Derobio must be very precise in their techniques. The general was a trained swordsman with plenty of battle experience with his saber and bolo using it efficiently. Dealing with live blade and live stick, one really needs to be fluid in their defensive motions with no wasted movement but moving with attacker or flowing with him. It must be very focused training in Pedoy/Derobio to develop the sensitivity to play with live weapons. In GGM Pedoy's picture I see a defensive and offensive position with the bolos either ready to cut or to move and pass with a tight small profile. Those eskrimadors in Hawaii sure could play ?? Aloha

18. Ares326

Ares326 PSDE Main Branch

MChief,

It is great to know that you have opened this forum. Hi, my name is Anthony Tanare (aka Tony) and I'm GM Ty's senior student from the main branch. We have met once before when you visited during Batikan and GM Ty's birthdays; and then the following day you and Chief Chaz has given a seminar during class. I didn't get a chance to thank you for your visit, but then again, I'm appreciative that Chief Chaz has visited couple times and showed me valuable techniques to prepare myself on our last tournament. Currently I'm deployed (in the Navy as YN1) and unfortunately won't be able to participate on this year's tournament. Although I'm not physically present and unable to compete my prayers, cheering spirit and best wishes for those who are competing for our school. Please extend my best regards to Chief Chaz and Chief Bo; and hope someday we will all meet again. Take care and May God Bless Us All.

19. Mchief

Mchief New Member

Mahalo for your kind words. If you are ever in San Diego please visit.
    I will pass the words to my Sons.
    God Bless and A Hui Hou!
    Mchief C. siangco

20. Ares326

Ares326 PSDE Main Branch

Thank you Mchief. I'm looking forward on visiting your school someday.