Paul Vunak/PFS/DEFCON.

Discussion in 'JKD-Kali' started by arnisador, Jan 10, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Does anyone know what the story is with Paul Vunak's new DEFCON program? What exactly will it entail? Is it just a new marketing program, or a real shift in philosophy? Details here:

2. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Sounds like a new marketing ploy! However, I am willing to
    reserve passing judgement until I see some of the material.

Brian R. VanCise
    www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

A new marketing scheme is exactly my guess, but I am curious to hear exactly what it is that he's up to with it. I think most of his stuff has been good material, albeit over-hyped.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The current issue of the U.K. martial arts magazine Combat (which I found at a Hastings bookstore here in NM) has a regular feature called "The Filipino Way" by Keith Gilliland. In this issue (Jan. 2006, Vol. 32 No. 1) it features a terse two-page (three columns) overview of Paul Vunak's appraoch to Kali. I didn't learn much, but then, I have been studying under one of Mr. Vunak's instructors.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I don't see the DEFCON stuff up there any more...did he abandon this project?

6. ajs1976

ajs1976 New Member

There is an article about DEFCON in the current issue of Black Belt (Chuck Norris on the cover). It does show some techniques, but the focus seems to be more on certain situations: Sexual Assult, Home Invasion, Kidnapping, Car Jacking, and a fifth one that I can't remember right now. There is discussion on each situation and how to recognize a potention situation, how to aviod it, and finally recommendations on how to handle it when it occurs. It is only a couple of pages, so there are not a lot of details.

I wonder about some of the statistics used in the article. I think it mentioned something like 1,000,000 home invasions and 50,000 kidnappings per year. Those numbers just seem really high to me.

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I'll look for the article...thanks for the lead! Is this what is now being referred to as Executive PFS on his web site? I don't see the DEFCON info. any more (by that name), but the same descriptive text is still there.

8. ajs1976

ajs1976 New Member

Not sure about the PFS connection, I will reread the article when I get a chance.

9. ajs1976

ajs1976 New Member

I skimmed through the article and did not see any mention of PFS. It did mention RATs (Rapid Assault Tactics) a couple of times.

I think the first quote you posted is acutally the beginning of the article.

The DEFCONS sound like examples of SD scenerio training.

Just so you know, this article is in the July issue.

10. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

Paul Vunac Defcon

I know Paul can fight as his skills been tested in many bars.I know Paul had a few special force people train with him.I also know he had Pvs. then whent the Street with Police cars footage & he had others but 1 comon thred remains.Ive seen his wood dummy-knife-stick-seminars-students seminars as they branch off.No matter what it was called the same Head butt -knees & elbows are deployed,He dose it well-(but as a student under Bruce Lee )We never did Head butt-Knees & elbows.Its not scientificly possable to deploy with non telegraghic motion-nor is it deployable with scientific defence.Our motions were based on Epie(head to toe fencing-Western boxing for hook,jab,cross,backfist,upper cut-Wing chun traps & terms such as tan sau & lap sau & the rest for evolution.We cant evolve it we repeat the same set pattern or sequences just a new name wont change it.Example-If you have a bed of roses & I plant a daisy-tulips-beans-lettus it is no longer a bed of roses.Bruce stated If Jkd is the art you rep. lets say it is (y) then you must represent & be y & if the other style you do is x to do x & call it y with out the representaion of y you lost all that is,but if youmix x & y and still call it x then the representation of x is adhere to but no longer is it x.!Mind you ,you must train ever part of you body if you are to do combat.

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Where I study PFS there is a very strong emphasis on the HKE approach, but only after entering to that range and gaining the clinch. It seems to work to me!

12. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

Vunak defcon

Like i said Paul can fight.Im not putting him down.As a student under James Lee & Bruce Lee for 2 years.We never did Head butt-knees--Elbows.Its not scietificly sound to deploy with Non - telegraphic motion.There is no simplicity or the context of no way as way.Sure it works.That dosent make it Police-or Street- Or Kali- or any other of the seminar or comercal titles its labled.Im just saying I see on every tape H-K & E.You think for the panajockmen he would teach differant.Its still H-K-& E.

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

It is very strongly emphasized. Because it's done after clinching, though, it seems effective to me. We always have at least one hand grabbing the neck at the time.

When we do pananjakman, it's basic boxing--jabs, crosses.

14. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

Paul Vunak Defcon

If youd be so kind to let me quote from my teacher Bruce Lee-To move to me you must step.This gives me the oprtunity to intercept.I use my longest wepon,(My side kick) to your nearest target(Your knee).In Jkd if it is truely Jkd- we Intercept.We dont have time for the clinch,1-as it offers the opertunity for multi-attackers to advance while you were to fixated on the 1 clinch.My Last seminar I showed how to desolve any attack-even verious multi &( it was all desolved.)If you truely know Jkd there is no trapping.We intercept.Like a missle it destroys the targets.This leave no room for attacks or counters.It must be non-teligraphic-simplistic-scientific & a hint of self exploration for plyable and insubstancual attacks.

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

We do hear often about longest weapon to nearest target in PFS, and we practice that. But, the idea is that intercepting allows us to move to trapping range, where the clinch becomes a finishing tool. We practice some Wing Chun style trapping too. The clinch is strongly emphasized--but so are ways to get there, which is where the interfcepting comes in.

I like the system. Whether or not it's true to the JKD heritage, I cannot say!

16. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

Paul is great & a great fighter like I sad, it has lineage.Heres any easy way to see JKD & if its other arts.
    I give you a glass of water.If i put 4 tablespoons of kool aid -it becomes grape drink.In order to keep it water Yet use the kali-silat thai-ect.
    First we look at the proprties of JKD.Scinetific & non telegraphic.
    For me to study silat -put on a sorong-do jurus-long kahs-ect.
    this is silat.Not 1 part of that is JKD.How ever I can use ulsa the riseing kick-or maybe salag the blocks.I use what I know is to the format of JKD & not hinder it.So like the cool aid.
    I have to choose how much can I use with out the water turning color & properties.What is scientificaly sound- non telegraphic- smplistic to deploy- & easy for me to exsplore to my use.Vunak has great ways.I know Bruce would have enjoyed his egor & hard endevors for the art.

17. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That's a very traditional view! When I see people mix their Tae Kwon Do with some boxing and call it JKD because they have used Bruce Lee's "philosophy" of mixing arts, I think to myself that that isn't really JKD. On the other hand, I think that seeing the art evolve and change is only natural. If nowadays ther's more kali or grappling in some people's expression of the art, that still seems like JKD to me.

I like your emphasis on the interception principle and I see your adherence to the "absorb what is useful" strategy when you say that some things could be taken from silat and such. But, after interception, mustn't one finish the job? Doesn't that require closing? If I intercept with a jamming kick, I may have only stopped my opponent's forward momentum. The PFS solution might be to clinch and use HKE.

18. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

Thanks if you want to read a realy good view on what I say Intercepting Fist is !!
    Go to" martialtalk" goto "serch" type " interceptin fist." I had to put it tight as they only give so much room.But I think youll enjoy what I saw & might want to print the conversation between me & another.We had fun & great questions asked & aswered.Thanks agian.As my teacher Bruce would say
    Dojosai;

19. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I don't think I know the term dojosai; what does it mean?

20. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

Dojosai this is ( i hope i spell it right)

Cantenese & it was used by my Sifu
    Bruce Lee
    Kind of translate to Thankyou !