Padded Stick Comparisons

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by variance, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Thanks for your input. I hope you get to see a pair one day.

It's no rule about "No head-shots" as there are no rules. If I go for one against a BZ practicioner I will usually be in a lot of trouble and our aim is usally to take the opponents hands out of action - but that's a whole new discussion entirely ;)

2. wes tasker

wes tasker New Member

How do you differentiate between the "false sense of security" caused by a padded stick (whichever type...) and the "false sense of security" one gets when wearing a fencing mask?

-wes tasker

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  3. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

That sound like allot of protection still, My instructors (both filipino) competed in tournaments in the Philippines with no protection what so ever (full contact with rattan or Kamagong). My guro said they were force to were helmets and everyone was making a big deal already.

And by the way we spar with the padded stick with no armour or helmet.

4. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

Yes, but if you're training for this type of fighting, it's a bit different...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6EZE_rmsQs

5. Phil Mar Nadela

6. The Phalanx

What is your point?

7. Phil Mar Nadela

It is the same back home with out the helmet and all the padding. And i also assume that back then when my Guro's did it was a full out fighting till someone surrenders (broken bones and all).

So what is the difference?

8. The Phalanx

Why do I get the feeling that you want to start a macho war?

9. Phil Mar Nadela

No disrespect, i am just merely curious. Full contact fighting is being done back home but because of injuries (and deaths) they have to resort to Armour and padding.

I do apologies if i past of as being rude, plus if you know me in person, i am the least macho est guy you'll meet[​IMG].

10. I think this thread is straying off topic... :) how about a thread in the DB forum about protection TP?

If people want to compete in DB events then more power to them. Maybe in the future (especially if they come to the Philippines LOL!) I'll have the chance to spar in one - though I'd probably have to pull a B.A Baracus type sedative on the wife heh heh.

As I was trying to point out earlier, if you want to train every day / as much as possible you need some form of protection. PG Egdgar Sulite developed his style of gloves for that exact reason due to students training with broken hands...

Plus, you only really learn when you get hit so it's better to put yourself in that position as often as possible and to experience enough pain to know you've been hit but still be able to train.

11. Phil Mar Nadela

Logo's?

Kuya Simon,

How would the logo's look like? I was just going to PM you about getting a pair for myself and a friend and I’m intrigued by the logo thing. Is it embroidered or sticker and how much will it cost?

12. Hi Phil.

It's a durable sticker. I know they're pretty tough as I had to peel a few off for a customer who didn't want them branded.

[​IMG]

Providing the order is for at least 10 sticks it wouldn't cost you any extra at all. You can send me a graphics file with the design and I'll take care of the printing.

Simon.

13. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

if you have difficulty for choosing quality sticks I advice or just a sugestion if its just for practice sparing it is just fine to buy generic stick and with a foam. wrap the foam and the generic stick with baggage tape to make it stirdy. and if wrapping cloth are already available in the market you try to put it inside to for safety. you got a cheaper padded stick in lesser spences

14. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Junior Member

I know this is kind of an old thread. I did not want to clutter the forum with redundant topics.

So, what is the best value padded sticks available today and where to get a good deal?

Thanks everyone!

15. brooke

brooke New Member

Have tried most of the above padded sticks and so far our favorite at LESKAS Seattle are the HIT stick series by action flex. They seem to hold up very well with out turning into a floppy noodle.
    The Sof Stx we tried in various forms, plastic core, hickory, indestructibly etc. and we broke them pretty fast, the wood core ones broke mid stick usually on a block, and the indestructibles the tops popped off. We hit pretty hard so if your sparring is gentle or low impact these may work for you. On the up side you can get them in custom lengths and they even do shapped (knives/swords) which is neat. They also have a nice feel to them heft wise.

the ATF padded sticks with rattan cores, broke all three we ordered in 2 sparring sessions. on the upside they use rattan so they feel great, just like your normal stick, but because they are rattan they do seem to break easy.

SMAK Stick this is probably the oldest padded weapon we have and use, the core has held up pretty well, but the padding has totally broken down. Not sure if these guys are still in business.

Actionflex "normal" we found these to be a tad light weight and while they start off pretty nice they quickly become very whippy.

Actionflex "HIT series" and the dog brothers "stiffer/est" these are our favorites, they have so far maintained rigidity and padding. Our older one is going on 4 years and is still functional, the padding has started to break down, but i would say we have definitely got our moneys worth. Another good point on action flex is they range of sizes you can get the sticks in.

HATAW sticks: have not tried these yet, due to the limited range on lengths they come in. Our school prefers longer sticks and the HATAW sticks are kinda short for us.

16. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

In my opinion the Action Flex Hit Sticks are the best on the market. They hit hard and are still good to use in my kid classes. I use them in my tournaments and haven't broken one yet.

17. littlebadboy

Thank you Brooke and Datu Hartmann!

So, where can I get a good deal for Action Flex Hit Sticks? What is the usual length used in torunaments here?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  18. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

I sell them. The length that are used most in tournaments are 28".

19. michigankalisilat

michigankalisilat New Member

Anyone know where to purchase hataw sticks now that Simon is on hiatus?

Just shattered my first padded stick from Kali Gear. They worked well for soft sparring but didnt hold up to full contact.

Eric

20. littlebadboy

I read on a different thread that he will be up again soon. He transferred to Taiwan for better shipping options I think. Do you want to try sof-stx?