PACIFIC ISLAND SHOWDOWN - Ultimate Full-Contact Stickfighting Championship

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by RHC Chaz, Jul 19, 2006.

1. RHC Chaz

RHC Chaz Tuhon Chaz

Aloha fellow Escrimadors, Arnisadors, Kalisadors;
    The Pedoy's School of Escrima is proud to announce their inaugural International Invitational Ultimate Full-Contact Stickfighting Championships - Pacific Island Showdown - to be held on the beautiful Island of Oahu, Hawaii. October 14 - 15, 2006 at the Filipino Community Center Ballroom
    94-428 Mokuola St. Waipahu, Hawaii. Tournament will showcase Derobio Escrima's Full-Contact Stickfighting along with Solo-Baston Padded Stickfighting. For more information please visit our website: http://www.pedoysescrima.com . If your school is interested in joining in on the fun please send us your school mailing address and contact information so we can send out our registration and invitation.
    More information will follow ...

Mahalo,
    (San Diego) Regional High Chief Chaz Siangco
    619-208-3987

[​IMG]

2. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

3. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

The tournament is this weekend, looks like it will be a lot of fun!

4. pinapaitan

pinapaitan New Member

I was looking so forward to attend the sunday events but unfortunately Hawaii recieved a 6.5 richter earthquake and islandwide blackout that followed. :( Any info on the tourney highlights on saturday??

TIA!

5. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Aw man you should have came, GM Takashi broke out the generators at the FILCOM center and the tournament continued. There was plenty of live stick action!!

6. pinapaitan

pinapaitan New Member

Awwwww man!!! :( I missed it then!!

7. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

anyone got any viedeos of the event

8. RHC Chaz

RHC Chaz Tuhon Chaz

Aloha from San Diego

Aloha guys ... I unfortunately had to miss this years events but family in Hawaii made it happen and I'm proud to say it was a success for our school. Look to our website for pics and vids. Pacific Island Showdown is already set for next year so start saving and planning.

9. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

This year we had 70 fighters from locally and from the mainland. Next year we're looking to double the venue with fighters. Solo Baston and Live Stick fighting. So start saving and make sure you come with the right protective gear. (i.e. helmet, pads and body armor)

10. Ares326

Ares326 PSDE Main Branch

Aloha from the gathering island

For those of you who have missed it... it turned out very well. Even with the state wide power outtage the tournament continued on and it was a success. For next year's tournament please bring the appropriate protective gear. There were few fighters especially on the live stick matches that didn't have the right gear with them.

Until then... train hard and train well. We'll see you on the next tournament.

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That's great! It's wonderful that you were able to continue depsite the earthquake.

12. peregrine

peregrine New Member

the tournament went well and i was impressed generators were brought in for the power outage.

Ares326... if you are close to the tournament coordinators please relay to them the equipment was unclear on the rules, it did not say wekaf equipment was required which initially other type of gear was initially sanctioned then later renigged.
    Another polite suggestion would be posting the brackets, there was a lot of headaches with the power outage so logistics was affected, but if the brackets were posted, the transitions from fight to fight would be clear.

"right gear with them" depends on the game and where you play, some people like more gear... some get by on less.

Again great tournament, i can't wait for next year.

13. Ares326

Ares326 PSDE Main Branch

Pacific Island Showdown

I didn't know someone has taken one of our head gear. On our next tournament we should tag each gear with our school name. We also need someone to monitor them in one certain station. This way we have control with our school items.

14. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

No everyone entering will need to purchase their own equipment.

15. Ares326

Ares326 PSDE Main Branch

Tournament Gear

There will be some fighters that would manage not bring their complete gear. But that should be annotated on the next tournament. Fighters that doesn't have a complete gear should not fight. Also, we should have a fighters meeting couple days prior the tournament. This way, it would allow us to inspect their gear and if the fighters have further inquiries on the tournament. This was our first tournament and I know on our next venue it'll be much smoother and hopefully without the major power outtage.

16. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

Pacific Island Showdown Rules and Regulations

Peregrine,

Thanks for you imput. If you direct your browser to www.pedoysescrima.com you can see the rules and regulations for the live stick tournament. Under Fighting Gear: Garrottes/Baston/Sticks (Provided for fight by tournament sponser.)
    Fighters MUST WEAR OFFICIAL ESCRIMA/KALI/ARNIS STICK-FIGHTING HEADGEAR AND BODY ARMOR.
    Other protective gear- Gloves, forearm-elbow-knee-shin pads/guards, shoes, groin protector, and MOUTHPIECE.
    *Fighters are allowed to use any protective gear as he/she sees fit; however, gear must be approved by officials.
    This is for the safety for all and to free the sponser from liabilities. After all we want to display our techniques. A death or serious injury would end this for all.

Salamat,

Greg
    PSDE Main Branch

17. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

Pacific Island Showdown

After all the work and adversity Grandmaster Ty from the Pedoy's School of Escrima went through to put on our schools first big tournament. It's sad that someone actually walked off with one of our schools WEAF helmets that was graciously being lent to fighters without the proper gear. If that person is reading this, just return the head gear and no questions will be asked. It's all about honor and respect.

18. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Sorry for multiple posts.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  19. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Even though I did not compete the tournament was really fun and I really enjoyed watching the children and adults compete in the carrenza's. The girls and women put on a good fight too! Maybe there will be more women competing next time. I really thought the fights went off well and I thought most people tried to display some skill and footwork. Hopefully next year I will be able to compete and I am definitely looking forward to next years event.

20. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Sorry for multiple posts.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006