Pacific Island Gathering and Tournament, August 4th 2012

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by Navadisha, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Come join us for the 9th annual gathering of blade combat enthusiasts in Chicago, IL.
    We welcome all schools who practice blade combat to gather in a safe environment while exploring the realities of bladed combat.
    Divisions will include Sayaw, Continuous Sword (first blood rules using padded stick/sword), Sword & knife, combat knife (marking) and new this year we are hoping to introduce padded Kampilan competition.

Contact Guro John Bednarski at Midway Kodenkan 773-284-8818
    or email at kali@midwaykodenkan.com

2. New2FMA

New2FMA New Member

Sounds like FUN!!

3. NAGA

NAGA Member

9th annual P.I.G.

Hello All,
    Well it is that time again for the 9th annual Pacific Island Gathering Tournament. Fondly remembered by the acronym P.I.G., and this year we are going to have one exciting blade oriented tournament. We are the only tournament of this type and scope in the Midwest. Also the top-dog prize this year will be a combat sansibar! I will announce special guests on this thread also in the near future!

Thanks,
    John

4. Tagadagat

Tagadagat New Member

This year's top dog prize [​IMG]

5. NAGA

NAGA Member

Thanks, for the photo fed.....
    thanks all,
    John

6. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello All,
    This just in Grandmaster Tom Sipin will be at the years P.I.G.!

7. BirdieKing

BirdieKing Member

I'm looking forward to heading down for this Tourney! Always a great time and good fun!

8. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Junior Member

Rules, Divisions, and Fees?

9. littlebadboy

is the use of fencing mask allowed?

10. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello All,
    The rules or the basic rules are online on youtube. Fencing masks will not be allowed only wekaf style helmets, if you do not have one one will be provided. Divisions we will list soon as well as fees, which will be reasonable..... Also I hope to see you this year....

Thanks,
    John

11. littlebadboy

Will there be weight divisions?

12. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Here are the rules vids from a previous year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXeBZFj9o2I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=schUhIFcIG4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jpHAwBHR08

13. billc

billc New Member

The gathering will be a great time. I enjoy seeing the other styles of FMA, it is a great way to network and find out where other groups are. Another thing I will enjoy this year...ginunting trainers. I ordered a ginunting sword trainer from one of the best craftsmen out there and he will be bringing it with him to the gathering. If you need custom made knives or a sword trainer that is longer than the standard 18-19 inches, come to the gathering and get a look at what he can do. My instructor has two ginunting sword trainers by him and they are really incredible. I also have knives that he made and they too are great. Just another reason to get to the gathering...custom sword and knife trainers, made to order...

14. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

three weeks!

just over three weeks away! Hope everybody is training hard.
    I know the guys in Minnesota are training like crazy as always and will show up to give their opponents their best.
    Several schools have members leaving this weekend for Vegas and the Duel in the Desert. So they will certainly be in good form when they return (Best of luck to them all).

This looks to be a great tournament once again! :laugh:

15. Tagadagat

Tagadagat New Member

Yep, here in Minnesota we are training very hard. Every day we make sure we eat our twinkies and ding dongs as our in between meal snacks, as well as avoiding any over-exertion such as exercise, and practicing our strategy by playing plenty of video games and watching tv instead of sparring...muwahahahaha :laugh:As always, looking forward to playing, having fun, and meeting new friends.

16. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello All,
    Well do too a technical glitch the registration forms will be yup by this weekend here on FMATalk, instead of our website. Nevertheless, they will be up...

Thanks all,
    John

17. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello All,
    Also just in case you can also PM Navadisha and he can also send sign up sheets too you that way... Also please no personal checks the day of the tournament...

Thanks,
    John

18. James Miller

James Miller Member Supporting Member

19. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

One week left!!

One week left to get in some final training!!!!!
    Prizes have been purchased for the combat knife division and the padded swords for the long sword division have been field tested (literally). This new division will be another interesting exploration of bladed combat, the root goal of this long running tournament.

20. littlebadboy

Just in case, can I register on the day itself?

What is the tentative schedule? What time should players be at the place?