outdoor training

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by RevDogo, Jun 21, 2011.

1. RevDogo

RevDogo New Member

Prof. Therrien, of Full Circle Fighting Systems, was telling me about his time with the GM.
    He said there were a lot of times when GM trained outdoors, in parks or any where that there was good weather and space. I can really appreciate that because I do the same. Being indoors has its good points but somestimes I need to feel the sun in my face and hear the birds around.

My istructor has a lot of good stories about The GM.

2. RevDogo

RevDogo New Member

3. LegendLoLo

LegendLoLo New Member

What i can say is. Show some stuff but not all so everyone can appreciate the art and be interested in learning it.

You can show basics and difficult defenses/offenses for they cannot learn it that easy by just looking at it, setting aside those advance players who knows some things.

I prefer practicing indoors to preserve my privacy as a person and for them not to know my capacity as a practitioner.

There is this one time. A guy approached me ( He was like 5'9 Good Physique around 30+ Age) and mocked me into a fight. I finished him in just seconds and my neighbors were like dropped their jaws looking at me fight.

I was only 5'5
    19 of Age that time

4. RevDogo

RevDogo New Member

I dont worry about privacy. People don't aproach me so it isn't a problem.
    I have lived in very poor/dangerous neighbor hoods most of my life.
    I like to train outdoors because I feel free and for some reason at peace when I can hear the birds and feel the breeze.

5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Nothing is better than being closer to nature! Training outdoors is a staple in what I do! ;)

6. RevDogo

RevDogo New Member

I don't want to sound corny...but it feels like you can draw energy from the outdoors.

7. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Junior Member

Mostly, I have trained FMA outdoors. I prefer it actually.

[​IMG]

I have a question though... if I want to hold training sessions in a public park (US), do I need to ask permission from the authorities?

8. RevDogo

RevDogo New Member

I never have.
    But then again, I only have a small group of 3 or 4.

9. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

No you can train outdoors without asking authorites. However, having sticks, training knives, etc. may bring some issues into play. I would not want to speak for any jurisdiction on it so just be prepared to be looked over in the US. Having said that I have never experienced a problem and have had lot's of police drive by and even stop and ask what we are doing. (even had some LEO's join that way) The key would be to inform them that you are practicing and only utilizing training tools. Where you would get totally screwed would be if you had live knives over the legal limit in your area. Bottom line know the law and you will be okay!

10. LegendLoLo

LegendLoLo New Member

=D Sometimes jurisdiction plays alot but mostly not if you only have a small group. We quoted
    " FREEDOM PARKS" to practice.