Other weapons training in JKD-FMA

Discussion in 'JKD-Kali' started by du212, Apr 16, 2009.

1. du212

du212 New Member

From what I've seen a lot of phase 1 phase 2 curriculums focus around single stick, double stick, stick and knife, knife, double knife....

Just curious if and when other weapons (staff/sarong/palm stick/etc) are included in a JKD-FMA curriculum?

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Not where I study--overwhelmingly single stick or knife.

3. du212

du212 New Member

Thanks Arnisador.

I havent heard of any phase curriculums having them either and was (still am?) assumming these weapons may be taught at apprenticeship or instructor level.

So even if not if the general JKD curriculum, I have seen in the Rick Tucci DVDs (vol 7 and 8) references to the staff and sarong and recall a Guro Inosanto seminar several years ago , where he did almost a half a day going over Sarong.

4. rooke

rooke New Member

Weapons...

From my understanding, most of the sarong work I've seen in JKD has been Silat based...not Kali. But I could be wrong as to the origin/derivation.

As for palmstick, that seems like a logical extension of the empty-hand curriculum or the blade's thrust/stab portion of the curriculum.

Rooke

5. sjansen

sjansen New Member

That's about right. You will not learn anything more in depth until you are at instructor status or beyond in most.

6. Leif T. Røbekk

Leif T. Røbekk New Member

Hi.
    An another thing is that there is not any Weapons in JKD at all.
    If you se a jkd instructor using Weapons, then is not jkd as Bruce was doing when he was steel alive.

I am a instructor in jkd and in filipino arts, but are not blendinf them together.

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Where aI study JKD they are blended together, and it works well, but it's clearly an FMA grafted into the JKD.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

I did a bit of sarong in my JKD/Kali class. Not a lot. And what we did do could have come from either silat or kali. There was nothing that screamed SILAT, anyway (though I'm much more familiar with kali than silat).

9. Leif T. Røbekk

Leif T. Røbekk New Member

It is ok what your guys are doing, but when you have a stick or a sarong in your hand then it is not JKD as Bruce develop it :)

A lot of the JKD schools around has put in a lot of silat and kali elements in their training and mix it together that’s ok, you have a weary god blend there but it I NOT JKD. J

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Well, I think a lot of people call it JKD/Kali for a reason, but there's also the whole Original JKD vs. JKD Concepts bit. Some people think JKD has particular techniques, and others that it is mostly just a philosophy.

11. sjansen

sjansen New Member

Do you see JKD concepts using weapons more readily. If so, in what order.

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I see JKD Concepts as much more open to adding things, which usually means the stick(s) and knife of eskrima, in my experience.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

You have a right to your opinion, obviously. And I don't much care whether it's JKD or not. But bear in mind that Lee believed in preparation for actual encounters. That's often going to involve weapons, so it makes sense to train in something that applies a lot of the concepts and applications Lee supported to weapons practice.

In other words, I think there's a case to be made that FMA extends Lee's method to weaponry. And that, if preparedness is the goal, that extension is vital.

Stuart

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I wonder how much Bruce Lee addressed weapons defense while teaching?

15. kroh

kroh New Member

It was my understanding that the whole reason behind JKD (and I am not saying this from ignorance as I am a Jun Fan / Jeet Kune Do Practicitoner ) was to take what Lee was doing and continue to refine it as needed. There SHOULD be a base cirriculum whereby once student has the intricacies down, can then add or subrtract in order to fill the need.

Adding or cutting FMA concepts from the cirriculum would be a direct extension of this. Of course Lee's method wouldn't look like this but who cares? Evolve or be a museum peice. If you like the original method... go with that. If you like conceptual method... go with that too... The whole reason the concepts crowd and guys like SBGi go with the conceptual method is they didn't want to listen to the "That is not Bruce's JKD," speech.

As far as other weapons go... it follows logic that if you are going to be doing JKD for more than just self defense (military and LEO's) then you will have to work some sort of weapon training in there some where. One JKD guy who has taken the philisophical approach of JKD and added weapons to it is Hock (Walter) Hochheim is famous for this. His approach took JKD and Kali and whittled them down even more in order to produce military grade skill sets. Take those skills and apply guns, handcuffs, pens (illisi pallad - sorry... my romanization of Tagolog sucks) side handle batons and you have your JKD with extras...

Good stuff,
    Regards,
    Walt

16. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Where I studied JKD the FMAs were already well integrated, so I am unsure about his original intent, but what you say makes sense!