Other Arts You Would Study

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by The Phalanx, Dec 8, 2008.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

As well as to doing FMA I would also like to try out other arts as well... My list goes...

-Muay Thai or Muay Boran

-Krabi Krabong

-BJJ

-Join an MMA gym

-Sambo

-Krav Maga

I did some work with guns before and was even the Co-Captain of my rifle team... But I would like to get my hands on gun work as well like Krav Maga...

I tried out Bujinkan Budo Taijitsu(Ninjitsu) one time and I wasn't very impressed by the instructor who I was introduced to...

What you guys want to do?

2. tellner

tellner New Member

Krabi Krabong
    Submission Wrestling/BJJ
    Harimau
    More time doing practical shooting

3. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Nothing else...I am at a point in my life where simplifying is my goal...deleting as opposed to adding. Simply making what I have work optimally for me. After 29 years of doing this it comes down to simplicity with intent. Movement is movement..a kick a kick a punch a punch a step a step it matters not whether it comes from a system but rather that it comes from me in the cleanest simplest way possible.

The same goes with firearms. I have been through several military training schools for various weapons and also some private academies. The same holds true here..sound basics and intent. I am not a commando, I am not SWAT etc. so why train like one. I believe in training for what I am..a middle aged father of two, husband and eskrima teacher. I simply work to be good with my pistol or shotgun in the environment I live in i.e. my house car or in a public setting. One of my pet peeves is people who go and train to be an ueber commando yet there life dictates they punch the clock at Pet Smart..LOL...it all falls back to the premise of being what you are, not what you were, not what you dream to be...time flies by way to fast to get caught up in a Walter Mitty existence.

So in closing..I just do what I do and try to make it as simple as possible and pass it onto the few who choose to train with me. After that it's all bubble gum....

my .02 centavos

PG Mike

4. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Hey,
    I train to be ueber commando and working to become a member of the rapid response force for my command.. I am reliving my youth by doing all this.. I train to be the next replacement for the James Bond.. If that roll passes me by, I am training to be the next Batman because I already have my utility belt although the only thing I am missing on my belt currently is my pepperspray and batarangs.. Now with that being said with tongue in cheek, I train to be able to do my job better as a cop..
    Although, I am like PG Mike and have been through several military medical and security schools, I gave up the Ricky Rescue attitude when I retired from the military and decided to kick back and maintain the position of a mushroom grower which is usually results with me keeping people in the dark and feeding them crap.. Most of our job results in a need to know how a situation both mentally and physically depending on the situation we respond to.. It pays to go outside the training box from time to time and be able to slam dance or physically restrain an individual when the situation dictates and trust me, the crap they teach us in our academy was crap.. It was like the keystone cops teaching Conan the Barbarian for the most part..

5. The Phalanx

It has come across my mind on what I want to do actually do in my MA career...

When I first joined FMA I wanted to be able to know how to defend myself against the everyday nimrod who watches way too much UFC... But after doing about 2 months of FMA, I know how to do that...

So I've come to the point on where I want to take my training... Sometimes I want to see if I can break it into professional fighting like MMA since there are numerous MMA gyms in Hawai'i and sometimes I just want to have a good exercise...

I'm still young and would like to know how far I can take myself but at the same time I have my "real" life I have to worry about... I don't want to have to comprimise anything I have right now and it might bite me in the ass later on...

6. silat1

silat1 Active Member

:uhh::disgust:

7. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

What I will study when I have more time in the near future will be a combination of a small portion of what I have studied in the past, what I practice and teach now and what I have stumbled across recently.

I will eventually go back to studying and competing in Shau Chiao and learn more about Kusti. It will be a blast traveling the world again here in a couple of months for work. The competing in Shuai Chaio will help me hone my Dumog skills even further. Along with some free style wrestling/BJJ too. Concentrating on reversals and getting back on my feet, again, to hone my Dumog skills. After everything I have listed, it looks like my best bet might be to go with JKD Grappling.

When it comes to firearms, I will stick with where I am at, I have tried other sytems even the most popular and it is far inferior to where I am now.

As for other blade systems, I have truly been impressed and overwhelmed with my Tausug friend's family system, the late Hadji Yasser's Tanadjalan Silat(Yakan)as well as Navadisha Silat. John and I had the opportunity to go to Grand Rapids over the holday weekend and I we were both fell in love with Navadisha. It was a really cool and effective but differnent perspective on blade work than what we are accustom to. I hope to be able to continue, it would be a privilege.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  8. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

Can't find time.

I would like to study any kind that is available in my area and fit my time and budget. It would be nice to have more time but i already volunteer my time in teaching the kids and learning FMA (learning 2 styles right now under 2 instructors) which makes it hard.
    I am also taking amateur Boxing (I think it is a martial art) which i take for fun, at first i thought it was an aerobic class but it was 'real' boxing. I barely lasted the first day! It defenately help my sparing in arnis. It also doesn't hurt that i lost a few pounds.

But if ever i have the opportunity to do another art, i will definitely take taichi, I love the softness and control (also, cause i will be an old man by the time i become better in FMAist [​IMG])

9. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

I feel your pain and it makes me wonder how people like Guro/Sifu Wetoskey ever found the time to become certified instructor in multiple systems. Guys like him and my Pendakar(whom I have not had the time to train with in a few years now) are very proficient at several methods of play. It's not can they beat them but," which method do you want me to use to beat them?" I know there are a small hand full of others like that, but it makes me wonder if they have time to sleep..........

10. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Mike,
    I know where you are coming from... It is hard to maintain an active training program when you have other incidentals that hinder your desire to expand your knowledge and get certified in the programs.. It takes some serious time management to have the time to train and maintain proficiency in various systems, sleep, eat, study and work always gets in the way of this aspect of what a lot of other people can do on a whim.. I guess time management is something that we must learn as we get older and set priorities accordingly. There's something to be said about having time to get the certifications and maintaining a viable training program that can be modified around the other life sustaining incidentals of adulthood..

:boohoo::tantrum:

11. Dec

Dec Junior Member

I am no expert in all things martial art, but I do know crap when I see it. Stay away from Bujinkan Budo Taijitsu(Ninjitsu). The few people who know what they are talking about charge alot ($150+ a month) and take forever to get to the point where things are usefull. There is a guy localy that teaches this stuff, but the attatude that he has clashes with mine. I can't just give respect, it has to be earned. I never had to call my FMA teachers master and drop and bow down when they entered a room. Im also not a big fan of wearing a karate uniform, sweats and a tshirt is fine, we arent in fudal japan.

Thats the reason I want FMA, no beginner basics that have no real world applications. Try fighting from a horse stance with your fist chambered at your waist. With FMA (the little I was exposed to) it was 100% use full and pratcical in real life situations.

I hope to be back in a FMA class soon, till then its the 12 basic blocks and strikes over and over for me. I can beat the snot out of a heavy bag now tho

12. WuLord187

WuLord187 Albo Kali Silat Student

If you have the time, money, health, and talent. Stick with your FMA and get serious in MMA if you want to compete. Cross training is good as long as you maintain the fundamentals of the styles you train in so nothing gets lost or diluted. Some will say don't get involved with sport martial arts, but there is nothing wrong with sport martial arts as long you don't try sport figthing methods in real situations.

13. The Phalanx

When people say don't get involved in sport MA their views of the real world threats in the streets might be a little hindered...

In the streets, you will get cut by a knife you can't see or get shot by a drive-by... Or just get mugged by homie and his friends... There is no MA in the world that will teach you how to defend yourself against multiple opponents... Nobody will take turns on you, they will just come at you full force, all at once...

If someone really wanted to kill me, they wouldn't go mano y mano on me... That would be stupid... They would shoot me from afar or sneak a knife from where I can't see it... That's real situations... Flow drills, carenzas, triangular footwork won't matter when it comes down to someone really wanting to kill you... They would do it as fast as they can and there ain't nothing you or your training can do about it...

14. KaliGman

KaliGman Professional Man at Arms

How interesting. Are you basing this viewpoint on your personal experiences? You see, there are quite a few people on this forum who have successfully utilized their training against multiple opponents, against opponents armed with knives and firearms, who have been shot at, etc. and used their training to survive. Looks like I should have just put on some thick padding, went to the local Kaliforniakickboxingtakemydoughyogamcdojo and done a bit of sport training, then sat around at home watching kung fu movies, eating pizza, and drinking beer instead of all that hard training I did. But wait, then I would have been dead when I had to go against multiple opponents to rescue a fellow law enforcement officer who was getting pummeled in a riot situation, or that time I.....enough war stories.

As Joe says, some sport fighting helps build timing, stamina and speed. Too much focus on the sport aspect, however, will have you responding with a sport "rule based" technique instead of using that "banned" move that will put your opponent down right now. I have seen people get hammered trying cute little sport techniques on the street. You fight the way you train, so I recommend that my students don't get too bogged down in the sport mindset, but encourage them to "play" now and again if they wish to--as long as they realize that it is not "real" and that what is needed on the street can be vastly different than what is seen in sport. We train primarily for reality, not to look pretty or win a trophy, but to stay alive when things get crazy and bad.

15. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Aerobic and anaerobic fitness is also essential IMHO,possibly more so than studying an additional martial art.

16. tellner

tellner New Member

Thinking a little more...

If I had all the time, money and opportunity there is a couple others which would be interesting:

Kalaripayittu if my body were up to it
    Gatka
    Piper if I didn't dance like a White guy

17. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

What people? And why would you care what any one else says or suggests? Do your own thing and be happy doing it.

Real World Threats? Every swinging dick views this differently based on what has happened to them or a friend and in some sad cases what they see propagated on TV, Movies etc. it is sticky subject and in all honesty one that can only be answered by self.

True enough, but there are other things that happen in THE STREETS as you put it. An angry person who wants to sucker punch you because he had a few to many drinks. An over zealous individual who feels you cut the line at the COSTCO etc...so yes THE STREETS can be deadly..if you choose to play in them. That is the quandary isn't it. If one lies with dogs fleas are sure to come. If one is a descent human being and keeps away from idiots and thugs then in all likelihood one can go a lifetime with NO problems. I am 45 years young and since I turned the corner on stupidity and cleaned up my life many , many years ago..I have had but one altercation and in said altercation I was ambushed by a thug with a blade..guess what? MY FMA saved my ass...the ability to stay cool and calm helped, the ability to counter what was coming helped, the ability to angle and move helped..all of this is what I learned in FMA..oh yeah, the ability to stop this idiot dead in his tracks and send him to the hospital badly beaten helped.

IMHO, wrong...multiple opponents = me pulling my pistol (and yes a pistol and the ability to use it is as martial as it comes) or my blade (see above, moving, countering, usage of blade)....again thank you FMA and Pencak Silat.

And you know this for dead certain? 100% no other way it can go down? HMMM, I disagree....I have been a bouncer and a body guard in my past life and I saw many group settings where it appeared to be a mass attack on one but in essance only one or two had the cajones to jump. There are always antogonists who have the backbones of jelly fish who egg the fray on. So in my estimation to say what will happen based on opinion is just that opinion. The only way to know what goes down is to be in the fire at that precise moment in time. Remember laying with dogs!

Again how do you know? To many variables in life to say oh this will happen. Also remember not every murder victim was planned. People loose their dang minds and do stupid things for a brief moment that ends up taking life. they probably didn't mean it, it just happened. Prisons are full of people who lost control for a brief second and took life...out of jealousy, anger etc...so who knows unless we are in that moment.

See above...real is in the moment and until that moment comes it is all conjecture and theory.

Then why are you training? If this your logic as it pertains to martial arts then this same logic must be applied to all arts. hence, why are you even training anything at all? Sport or non-sport. It makes absolutely no sense. I guess those Filipino guerilla fighters (Giron< Ilustrisimo etcetc.) who survived the roughest combat during world war 2 were un effective?

Perhaps not your training but do not speak for everyone. My training saved my ass and I am sure a few others on here as well.

May I ask, how long have you trained and how many schools have you jumped from? Reason being, it seems you are extremely ancey to find the next best thing...Derobio for a bit, Dog brothers and now MMA.

No disrespect but it seems to me that your stance on these arts come from very limited knowledge.

The empty barrel makes the most noise when thumped ~ Moi

PG Mike B

18. Shaun

Shaun New Member

I come across situations in my work where I see and sometimes have to deal with violent,nasty people that quite frankly, decent people would not want anything to do with.
    It at these times that I feel extremely fortunate that I practice FMA.

19. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Well said Shaun. As a police officer you see far more than most.

Mabuhay kuya

PG Mike

20. The Phalanx

My POV is different as well as everybody else's... To me, if one really wants to kill someone, they should at least plan it out instead of just going berzerk... To get the best results, things must be planned... You guys do have a point on the unexpected...

But I am talking about a planned hit... I do train for the unexpected... But I don't go out looking for trouble and I don't frequent the clubs and nite-life as much as I used to... Though I always carry sometype of weapon with me wherever I go... It's not your traditional knife you buy at a gun shop but makeshift ones like metal pens or a key-chain with a string attached to it... If I could carry a blade and loaded guns with me I would... But Hawai'i laws won't let you...

I'd be strapped more than The Punisher maaaaayynnne...

:bigun2::rocketwho