Opinions on this DVD set???

Discussion in 'Doce Pares' started by grapplerskwest, Apr 19, 2011.

1. grapplerskwest

grapplerskwest New Member

Since I'm not getting much of a response in the general forum I thought I'd try the individual forums that these sets pertain too...

Due to lack of training opportunities where I live if I want to train FMA I'm gonna have to do so thru instructional dvd's. After looking around I found some a few DVD sets that look interesting and was hoping that someone who has seen any of these before might have opinions on their worth and quality as well as their strengths and weaknesses. Please keep in mind that I am interested in FMA for both its stick and blade work and would like to find instructionals that delve into both if possible... If not your reviews of these DVDs based on your experiences is still welcomed and appreciated.

Crashing/Cutting/Slashing the Lines with Christopher Petrilli
    http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...cat=340&page=4

This one seems to be a mix of styles that includes Doce Pares...

The DVDs available from Dynamic Fighting Arts
    http://www.dynamicfightingarts.com/Distance.html

2. Restita D.

Restita D. New Member

I see your thread had not gotten any responses, but I'd like to respond.

I'm a student of GM Chris Petrilli, and he has extensive experience in Doce Pares, JKD, and Silat. He has also studied Aikido (as suggested by SGM Cacoy Canete of Doce Pares) and some Bagua. He has studied with SGM Cacoy Canete, Guro Dan Inosanto, Guro Burton Richardson, Guro Greg Lontayao, Pendekar Paul DeThouars, Sifu Joseph Simonet, and Sensei Aric Hensel.

He has distilled his experience into a method that allows the practitioner to freely express himself/herself through concepts of movement not just rote techniques.

I believe you would enjoy the DVD set if you haven't already purchased them. More info on Master Petrilli is here: www.fmaa.net

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

3. blindside

blindside student

4. malcolmk

malcolmk Member

I have seen the Petrilli stuff and I like it, I prefer the secrets of pangamot series myself. I like the way each technique is presented for both stick and empty hand at various angles and speeds.
    The onlt thing I don't like is the repetition of techniques building a long chain to get to the new one, but once you got the basic entry I guess you can pick up on a number of entry points and cchaining the variations does give pointers to these pickup points.
    I myself train Balintawak style but find many things of value outside of it, the Bobby Taboada series of dvd's is pretty good also; very sharp and dynamic.

5. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

I have "Crashing" and "Cutting" but have not seen "Slashing the Lines." They are well presented and contain useful information. You will need a training partner who knows how to take falls and endure a little pain to get the most benefit from the series. I think that the long repetitions of techniques are merely scaffolding to train you to become fluid and innovative - but the most important aspect will always be how you set up initially because everything flows from there. With that in mind, it is possible to imagine a different set of entries than the somewhat "straight on" entries shown in the series.