Ok , so now I am totally confused

Discussion in 'General' started by kuntawguro, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Oh she does take it as a compliment, it just makes me chuckle every time I hear it... And yes Lucy certainly has a powerful presence indeed. She scares the bejeezuz out of my Celtic backside :augen22:

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Don't Call Me Ma'am: Senator Boxer
    California law maker bristles at general's greeting

3. Shaun

Shaun New Member

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Well, she certainly doesn't seem to grasp what it means when a senior military officer addresses you as "Sir" or "Ma'am". I thought it was embarrassing for her.

5. Shaun

Shaun New Member

IMHO,it shows a certain arrogance also.

6. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

What???? A politician who is arrogant..GASP! I have yet to see one who isn't a walking A-Hole..it is a prerequisite. I guess they feel that an overly polarizing personality will win the hearts and minds of the sheeple. The vast majority need to be rounded up and lobotomized....POLITICIANS = CHUM!

7. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

I wonder what other titles are mis used? Sensei, soke dai, sifu
    have been covered

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Soke is the worst offender...that's misused constantly!

9. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

SOKE??...LOL...isn't that how we pronounce Saki..after one bottle to many...."SOKE Damnit, I want more SOKE..hic..hic.." as the pink elephant saunters slowly through the room.....

10. The Old Way Traveler

The Old Way Traveler a sponge for knowledge

so can i put in my two cents and hit the dead mule with my stick?? hahaha..

this is by far the most entertaining thread i've read... thank you all!

some things on my mind:

one- "guru" mike butz is correct.. in the ilocos region, the word "guro" is pronounced as "guru" (i have family and friends that say it all the time) - the only difference is the pronounciation of the word.. it's just like here in america where people from Boston say "potty" instead of party.. it really means the same thing: TEACHER.. whether it was derived from India or from Malaysia or wherever else it came from.. it still means someone who enlightens others through their example.. :)

second - does it really matter if the spanish called FMA as arnis or eskrima or whatever else they called it?? does it make it less of an art if it those names were attached to it and not kali or any other "native" name?

there you go, i said my piece and broke my stick by hitting this dead mule over and over again..

james

ps.. i believe some of the natives called the philippines "Pulo Malayan" before the spanish came.. but, since all the datus lived in their own city-states or barangays.. i don't think there was a united country before the spanish arrived.. :)

11. Raul

Raul Mananandata

That's was the old name before it became "Bagong Balayan".