Offensive avatar

Discussion in 'General' started by silat1, Aug 23, 2008.

1. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Billy were you standing next to me during that Three Dog Night concert...LOL;).....

Mamma told you not to come.....!

2. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Hell, I might have been, all I remember is that when the wizard did his strobe show, I thought Jeremiah was a bullfrog and had some mighty fine wine I also never stood during that concert, I had 10 row back center seats.. It pays to have low friends in high places back in the day

3. wes tasker

wes tasker New Member

Thanks for that... I'm a huge jazz fan myself - Mingus, Monk, Coltrane, Parker, Davis, Coleman etc. And to me, jazz is a great metaphor for martial arts:

scales = basics
    standards = forms or pre-set techniques
    band playing = drills / give and take
    improve / free form = fighting

Just like the Taqasim in Arabic Maqam as well..... Good stuff....

Time to go listen to "Love Supreme" again.....

-wes

4. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I concur Wes....JAZZ on that level is something ornate, not all people can dig JAZZ..most always complain that when they hear it, it sounds like noise. I tell them that JAZZ must be listened to not heard, there is a huge differance. One of my favorites was MAX ROACH...never before has there been such a percussionist who can lay down fills and still riff with the horn section....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJcuwurIwhQ&feature=related

Then you go deep into the Bill Evans sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW1QoGCrcEM

and one of my all time favorites Wes Montgomery....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOm17yw__6U&feature=related

Also check out Horace Silver..and for great JAZZ vocalists..Jimmy Scott

5. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Wes,how does this translate? I have a rough idea,and where is this from?

Honore Sapientia Gladioque Transcandere

6. pguinto

pguinto New Member

imo the "under God" thing goes way back in american history. when george washington was being sworn into office, he added the "...so help me God..." statement and henceforth set a precedence for all u.s. presidents taking office.

and kc, dylan was probly referring to drugs and other vices. cuz once the hooks sink in, you will serve that master... (just a thought, of course)

7. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

Never did bother me Bill. By the way it was great chatting with you in Guam. I apologize for having such a short trip and for things coming up. Next time I'm up there I will surely plan something with you. If you're ever in Honolulu give me a ring. Talk to you soon.

8. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Greg,
    It was my privilege of meeting and talking with you.. Very seldom do we get to put a face to a name, especially in the FMA community as wide spread as it is.. It took Mike Blackgrave and I almost 5 yrs to get a face to a name and that was when I brought him to chicago for a seminar..
    I was really interested in the Pedoy eskrima system and was looking forward to sharing some ideas and banging some sticks with you..

I will most definitely give you a call when I head back stateside or happen to be in Hawaii as the wife and I are looking at coming back stateside for vacation sometimes early next year..

I am planning to go to the Philippines in October or November to train with some of the people in the central luzon area where I have my land and hosue currently... I am going to schedule some time to train with the DTS guys in Manila and maybe get a refresher on the balintawak system.. I am also putting feelers out to get in contac with some of the eskrimadors who are still active in the Macebebe/Sta. Rita region of Pampanga as that is where the hot spot for arnis was back in the day.. Never can tell what I can dig up with a little work..

9. tim_stl

tim_stl Junior Member

be sure to let us know what you find if you do.

damn shame you can't make it to nagasulong this year- i was looking forward to seeing some of your cinco teros.

tim