NoVA Arnis in the Park

Discussion in 'NoVA Arnis in the Park' started by Dr. Tye W. Botting, Aug 11, 2015.

1. 14 Aug 2015: Weekend arnis (at Bushi No Te): I covered converting incoming strikes to your cane hand into attacks to their cane hand, intercepting hand/wrist/forearm strikes against any incoming strike, feinting the attack, and priming for a response to get an extra few steps ahead. Abel also covered sinawali boxing drill variations including empty-hand, knife, cane, and espada y daga. Dan covered abanico strike applications from a variety of circumstances.

2. Today's arnis, 23 Aug 2015: We started off with the 12 basic strikes, then started doing them various alternate ways including witik, tusok, punyo, duplete, double-strikes mirrored from vertical center-plane, tusok-duplete, normal strikes with 90-degree down-spins upon contact, followed by playing with alternate 90-degree up-spins upon contact. For each of these, we played with altering the order and even the targeting as appropriate, as well as combinations of multiple strikes on different types of contact (impact, check, block, grab, etc). After this, we spent some time working a simple hand-changing stick semi-sparring sequence, emphasizing opponent control of distance, balance, and timing to eliminate holes in the exchange and provide opportunities for alternate followups. Lastly, we worked a bit on a Balintawak-based suyup (accepting block) technique leading to a fast elbow destruction followed by any number of additional strikes or whatever. Fun day!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  3. Today's arnis, 30 Aug 2015: We started with 12 basic strikes. Then, since I have recently been going over old 1995 footage of the Prof Presas teaching Raymond and I tapi-tapi strike flows, today we worked some of those LvR semi-sparring sequences (tapi-tapi without traps) with some reminders on old-style details, entries, and balance control. (We call these sequences "start," "de cadena" / "rolling," and "poke ribs." Some others call the first two #1 and #2, I think.) We also looked at some lead-changing and lead-keeping opportunities the Prof had shown but I had almost forgotten. And I was reminded of an old empty-hand version of the "Start" LvR sequence that trains both hands - he used it to help people their first time - it makes for a great empty-hand drill and provides conditioning, timing, and sensitivity attributes to work both LvR and RvL leads. Lastly, we worked single sinawali cane flows and some empty hand single sinawali with opportunistic locks.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  4. Today's arnis, 6 Sept 2015: Started with some redonda twirling: normal, pop-overs, altered rhythms, over-under-overs, and pop-unders. Then we worked some basic but non-standard sinawalis: 4-corners single, advanced single (3-count), 10-count, X-sinawali, open double sinawali, open double vs standard double, and X-sinawali vs 2-count single sinawali. I like the latter because it's a way to have one person doing a single sinawali and the other doing a double sinawali - unsettling for most! ;-) After that, we returned to some of last week's LvR semi-sparring (basic tapi-tapi) details for correct targeting and pressure, and also including the empty-hand drill adaptation of "Start" (aka #1), both sides and some give-and-take. Fun, even if I was a bit unfocused this morning.

After that, I headed to Day #2 of Jon Escudero's DC Lightning Scientific Arnis seminars here in the DC area - fun! Today was mainly single stick entries to serrada range with assorted followup sequences and options. We also applied that to knife, with the added problem of weapon control. Then there was the "Sharknado" wherein random sharks-with-knives attacked random swimmers-with-canes who had to flow from the entry based upon what best worked for them from today. Very fun, but I found it hard to not break into other habits under pressure - I need remedial speed to be sure to work stuff I'm not as familiar with! ;-) Rita attended Day #1, which was a lot of knife work, pressure drills, and similar game-format play/pressure. Good Stuff(tm). Too many things happening this weekend to catch them all, so with all my travel (and injuries) I was happy just to be able to do this much. As always, it really good to catch up with my friends Jon and Angelo Garcia and his group again! Pugay po

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  5. Today's arnis, 13 Sep 2015: Actually, the first hour was basic internal strength training, including standing, arm raising with fascia, establishing peng paths versus various force vectors contacting the shoulder, hip, and knee and going down the leg, between the feet, to the opposite foot, triangling off-center, and also horizontal and angled upwards. Then we worked a grounded turn connecting through the arms that is sometimes called "old ox power."

After all that was done, we then moved on to some arnis. We worked defensive-initiative "following the stick" immediately upon seeing a windup, the defender figuratively lets the aggressor's windup draw the defender's cane in to strike in time with that windup - both for forehand and backhand strike. We also worked the version if there's no windup - you still follow the stick and parry it palis-style and followup as you like. From there we worked the "pre-programming" I was stressing awhile back from the feeder's side for tapi-tapi blocks but this time from the person being fed's point of view - in this version, the person defending the feed (a poke or strike) still block-check-strikes but expects that if they are tapi-tapi blocked, they just follow the blocking cane with their live hand to jam-trap instantly and followup accordingly. We worked these faster and faster with pressure and off-balancing to show the speed value in pre-programming for a what-if; if they don't tapi-tapi block, they get hit, but if they do block they get momentarily trapped and hit anyway. ;-) Lastly, we worked with the weaving disarm, both outside against a forehand strike and inside vs a backhand strike, following up with a cane single lock and extra strikes or an compression roll to the tricep.

Fun stuff, even if I was a bit tired and immobile from all the travel. Thanks to everyone coming out on such a great day!

6. This weekend's arnis, 19-20 Sep 2015: On Saturday, I participated in the WNY Gathering of Eagles event near Buffalo, NY, and had a blast. For my session, I worked on entries that your opponent gives you (moving and attacking their cane-hand when they try to strike you, following their cane on the windup to come in and hit them simultaneously with their windup, slashing their knife hand when they try to slash yours (gets your hand out of the way and provides a "handy" target for you). I also worked what I call "pre-programming" to prime yourself for a counter strike if it comes (if it doesn't then you get to just hit them) - if they counter strike you already need to know you're going to block/parry and, _more importantly_, what you are going to do dynamically with it (down, up, in, snake, etc). From there, with the right mindset your own counter-counter strike just comes automatically and very fast - you're 3 moves ahead instead of just your initial strike, which is always a Good Thing(tm).

On Sunday, since we had a smaller group of folks that have been doing the weekend thing for a long time with me, we decided to go back and circle the wagons and remind our selves of the details of some of the "canonical" LvR tapi-tapi as the Professor showed me in the '90's. I wanted to make sure they really had the standalone patterns to build on, but also to work when I might not be there, including: Given (aka Start or #1 but without the driver doing the catch and backhand/fist), Start (aka #1), De Cadena (aka #2), Abaniko (both help-protected and not), Bonk Head (hardly ever seen anymore, at least I haven't seen people doing it), and Poke Ribs. Hope to get to the rest of our standard sequences next week, then work the RvL versions and opportunistic blending, injections, reversals and such to work back into random play from a solid base position. RvL really tends to expose holes in your delivery as well as expose opportunities to change roles non-cooperatively.

7. Yesterday's arnis, 27 Sept 2015: Started off with a bit of the pass-through drill with random feeds high and low while moving around - first sticks, then knives (basically single-contact palis, guiding at the hand/wrist). From there it was a natural progression to the flow drill with knives (pass through with live hand while gunting or slash with knife), again random feeds. Next was slash/parry defense against random pokes then counter with your own, at which point the other person responds in kind (fun and fast) - extra attention to distancing and movement here and we also inserted extra punches or kicks from whomever was being attacker at the time. We had escalated quite a bit at this point, so we took a step back and built up the 5,6,7 stabbing drill one poke at a time (vs empty hand), concentrating on details for the movement, positioning, trapping, and control for the bicep lock for each poke before adding the next in the sequence. Transitioning from 5 to 6 and from 6 to 7 I pointed out the all-important incidental slashing as a freebie. This amounted to about an hour of knife work, so then we switched gears back to my push to review the canonical patterns for LvR cane semi-sparring (tapi-tapi), this time with the one we used to call Inifinite Traps (really only 4), concentrating on the concept of distance and pressure for proper control and also targeting of force vectors for maximum effect with minimum vulnerability. As a teaching role, the driver must provide realistic attacks and control to get the required response; ideally the driving begets the response.

8. Today's arnis, 11 Oct 2015: We did a quick review on canonical LvR cane semi-sparring/tapi-tapi for three basic levels (given, start, and effortless grab, or #1 without the catch-and-backhand, #1, and #3?), then worked right into the opposite role RvL, with R as the driver. From there, we spent a fair bit of time on advanced insertion of opportunistic simultaneous extra strikes and their proper timing and positioning. They were "ba-dap!" timed with parries or with transitions. Fun stuff, and very glad folks have gotten this far - yep, you start off feeling uncoordinated again, but the challenge is worth it!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  9. Today's arnis, 18 Oct 2015: We started with a three-part single-cane spinning sequence, doing each section R- and L-handed, then adding the next sections. It was essentially a spiral double-zero x, followed by abaniko double-action, followed by traditional pabilog down to the ground then traditional horizontal tip-hook. Once that path was attained, we then worked out-of-sequence and false-transitions or stutters. After that we changed to do some light padded stick sparring concentrating on spins and tip-flips from the previous exercise. For a change of pace after that, we worked espada-y-daga sumbrada with stabbing whenever parrying with the cane, working both R and L primary sides, then worked the analog with cane and elbow strikes (very challenging for distance and delivery optimization), then again with cane and simultaneous elbow strikes/knee checks. We finished up with the spinning exercise from the beginning, and most agreed it was better than it had been before all of that. ;-)

10. Today's arnis, 1 Nov 2015: After a bit of kung fu having Sifu Schmitt continue learning Hei Mau Chuan, we had a couple of new folks (a mother and 12 yr old son) for arnis today. We started with how to hold the cane, covered contact areas on the cane, proper punyo length, striking so that the palm is behind the contact no matter the direction, and then worked to the first 5 strikes. For a bit of context to how this all works together with footwork, we talked them through standard disarm #1 and #4, with footwork and angling. This was complex enough that control was secondarily worked on, so once that was more comfortable, we took a step back and worked footwork for incoming #1 and #2 strikes so that their medio-range strike could not hit while at the same time the responder's largo-range strike could still strike to destroy the hand of that incoming strike. Taking another step back, we then worked stepping (forward-ish and backwards-ish) to ensure that the stepping power goes right into the cane motion effortlessly. From there, we went to empty-hands, just working the 1-2-3 counts of trapping hands against first an arm just sitting there, then any incoming empty-hand strike, again using closing and jamming footwork. Lastly, my 8 yr old daughter Sonja wanted to show them single sinawali empty-handed and with canes, complete with insertion of punches/pokes so the new people could see where they might be going soon. Thanks to Rita and Dan working one-on-one with the new folks so I could go back and forth and show and tweak for each.

11. Today's arnis, 15 Nov 2015: Small group today - just me, Rita, and Conal, but we started off with single sinawali with random pokes, then went to single sinawali with poke-respond-pakgang-punyosweep and continue, and finally we did single sinawali with pokes and redonda vs each poke and continue. After that, we did LvL 1-2-5-12 drill with a little bit of random punyo sweep takeover, and finally worked left-hand spinning as shadowboxing, concentrating on acceptable transitions and mid-combo changeups. Low-key day, but fun!

12. Today's arnis, 22 Nov 2015: Great to see people come back after a break for surgeries and such. We eased in with some single sinawali and lots of different drills built on poke insertion. From there I had everyone do the 1-2 empty-hand drill (sometimes called empty-hand tapi-tapi) to get some reflexes and hand motion going. Then we worked random strikes with block-check-counter to tapi-tapi block. Lastly, we went on to RvR and RvL sumbradas (6-count and 10-count only this time). Easing back in for newly-returned folks - welcome back!

13. Today's arnis, 29 Nov 2015: Excellent day today, perfect weather and lots of great folks. We started with a bit of our take on pendulum flow give-and-take, then moved right into the flow drill with canes (passing into slashes), then empty-hand flow drill (passing into guntings), both stressing aspects of footwork and correct feeding to get the response you want. From there I switched to empty-hand X-sinawali and Datu Hartman's application versus a jab-cross. Then we moved to the empty-hand tapi-tapi (aka 3-2 drill), which is essentially a combination of hubud and trapping hands. I then inserted several contact-driven insertions for locks, strikes, and throws, including 3 or 4 variations of forearm takedown, armbar, slap-off, wrist-forearm lock, and inside and outside center locks. After that, our guest Guro Jhun shared a nice multistep, mid- to long-range Illustrisimo sequence that he gave us in several 4-move steps. It was nice because it covered specifics of footwork and both fore- and back-hand strikes, high and low, which lets us take and work on the pieces both separately and together. Thanks, brother Jhun!

I have to say it was great seeing so many of our local FMA family dropping by today - you know you're all always more than welcome any Sunday, and we always have fun! Thanks Keith and Keith, Mosi, Bill, Roman and Rudy, Jhun, and of course half our regulars that could make it, John, Jim, and Rita;11 folks in all on a wonderful "winter" day - great way to jump into the Sunday! Pugay po!

14. 20 Dec 2015:
    Yesterday was a great way to spend GM Remy A. Presas' birthday - training Modern Arnis with friends up at WMAA. Thanks for having us, Datu Tim Hartman!
    For today's arnis, we did some shadow striking for warmup and flow (cold outside!), then we moved on to give-and-take feeding finishing with a variant of the 1-2-5-12 drill. Then I had the group review some Astig Balintawak that we worked on yesterday - the outside obstruction removal sequence culminating in the cane-thumb trap, and then the sequence versus the cross-body grab-attempt to the elbow tokas and the elbow tranka moves. Great review everyone, and we'll see you in the park again on 10 January (taking off Christmas and New Years' weekends). Happy holidays!

15. Today's arnis, 10 Jan 2016: After taking a break the last 2 weekends, I decided we could use easing back in with some basics, and since I felt like reviewing some of Datu Hartman's Astig Balintawak basics, we drilled the 4 sabligs, tukas, and the 5 declaws. Everyone's starting to get pretty smooth on those. We also had a good discussion on what makes a sablig a sablig and some necessary details for the control arm going over your stick arm (essentially get out of your own way). And of course we snuck in a bit of free play once the techniques started to feel more natural. Next week more basics, maybe striking styles, disarms, sinawalis, or etc. (Thanks to Rita who took the pics!)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Today's arnis, 17 Jan 2016: In the area's worst/first snowfall of 2016 ;), we kept on the new year basics theme. I decided to work things back out from the short range stuff we've been working of late so we did several striking styles against an attacker's incoming forehand and backhand closing strikes at medio range after attacking the hand at long range, emphasizing footwork, distance, targeting, and flow; after striking the hand at long range, defenders worked targeted counter attacks at largo and medio with rompida (vertical slashing up and down), banda y banda (side to side), pigura de otso (upwards figure 8), taas-baba (up and down), double-zero x, abaniko double action (like a combo of parts of abaniko, pigura de otso, and taas-baba).

We then had the defenders flowing randomly through 3 striking styles as you respond to the incoming strike, expanding the focus to footwork, distance, targeting, flow from style to style, and adapting to the positioning from all that when working the transition. While it's good to develop these attributes, all of this is rather artificial since the striker will almost certainly move fairly quickly.

Therefore, the next escalation was to have the attacker not only do the initiating strike, but also follow up with a random cane strike again any time after the 2nd strike of the striking style flow (ideally between count 2 and 3) so that the defender has to adapt in mid-response and keeps going. After this we also added into the mix the possibility of random empty-hand strikes from the attacker to enhance the adaptability of the continued responsive flow. Then we did the same thing two-on-one, with the alternates swapping after the 2nd strikes.

After all of this, we moved on to de cadena (trapping hands), at first concentrating not only on that flow but also on controlling the transition from outside to inside and back, working outside vs inside, inside vs outside, and outside vs outside. We then added deeper commitment and penetration (e.g. for diving throw vs outside or forearm strike to side of neck for inside). We also added an only slight move-in for knee strikes to the thigh in the midst of the drill. We discussed options for elbowing the incoming strike (count 1) and/or scraping down the shin. All of these were to be done without breaking the 3 count rhythm of the drill (so working on partial- and simultaneous beats) and while maintaining control of whether you wanted to be on the outside or the inside.

A good day in the warm snow. Mabuhay ang arnis!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  17. Today's arnis, 31 Jan 2016 (no park arnis last week and this week due to weather!): I taught non-arnis people today after also doing a session of seizing and grasping (chin-na) principles and how that applies to applications of movements. After some basic stick orientation covering how to hold the stick, striking areas, and how to swing it, I had them build a nice single-stick progression one step at a time: A closes distance to forehand cane strike B's head (medio), B triangle steps right to manage distance (largo) and cane hits A's hand, B manages A's cane and closes (medio) to cane backhand strikes A's head, A closes (corto) and jams B's strike with live hand at wrist, B does slap-off and cane strikes A's head anyway (or wrist lock, or cane-trap, or hanging shoulder lock, or single lock, or hanging cane lock, etc). They actually got that pretty well so I gave them a taste of double-stick work with redonda against targets, 3 basic flavors: all-same-side, same-same-across, and same-same-across-back2same.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  18. I just got back from almost 2 weeks in Texas that included teaching arnis and self-defense concepts at several venues all around Texas - it was like a Texas mini tour.

First, on Sunday 31 January as part of the early Chinese New Year celebration at Wang's Martial Arts in Houston, TX (my teacher for the last 33 years' kung fu school), I taught the sessions described above.

The next venue was Tuesday 2 February in College Station, TX, when I paid a visit to the Tae Kwon Do and Modern Arnis school of my old student and friend, Dr. Michael Hume. After being introduced as his first instructor and watching him warm his group up with tapi-tapi basics, he asked me to show them some tweaks. It quickly progressed to a bit of my unique power application and sharing details on how to get counter-counter striking to happen faster and be several moves ahead by choosing alternate targets well in advance (pre-priming). Later, I had them do several nearly-forgotten Left-vs-Right tapi-tapi sequences and variations that Prof. Presas shared with us back in the mid-'90's.

Lastly, at Hanshi Raymond Montoya's annual ABBA Texas Elite Retreat in Austin, TX, I taught one session on Friday 5 February on short power basics, and another session on Saturday 6 February on Modern Arnis that went into more detail about counter-counter striking, starting with a hubud armbar to shoulder strike, then again working with gripping and striking basics, to block check counter, to blocking/managing/return striking and going on further. It was a study in my favorite topic, "I hit you anyway!"

I was honored to share with each of these folks, and it really made my annual visit to Texas even more enjoyable and memorable. Thanks to everyone that participated! Mabuhay ang Modern Arnis!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Today's Arnis, 14 Feb 2016: Fun time in sunny 14 degree F weather with 4 other folks not afear'd of the cold. After some kung fu review and progress with Dan, we all went through the cane anyos and the first 3 empty hand anyos to warm up and get some flow going. Then Dustin walked them through some Bigay Tama basics from last week's Lightning Scientific Arnis seminar with our friend Angelo Garcia - starting with footwork, then adding high feeds, low feeds, pokes, overheads, and more. From there, I wanted to review some different sinawalis, so we started with 4 corners, then moved on to sinawali 10, X-sinawali, pera-peral ("cowboy 6"), pera-peral double sinawali, open double sinawali, double sinawali, and finished with 2 versions of single cane versus double sinawali. Fun day in the cold and glad we kept moving!

20. Today's arnis, 21 Feb 2016: Trying to review some material, so we started with florete versions of baston anyos 1-4, empty hand anyos tatlo and apat, then moved to kuntaw anyo parts x-1, x-2, and x-3. From there, we worked on sinawali 8 and abaniko sinawali. Lastly, we snuck in some abaniko sumbrada. Most of this was in the rain and eventually the basketball folks couldn't handle it, but we kept on training and playing anyway. wink emoticon After that, I headed out to finish the weekend balintawak 2-day training I started yesterday with Master Eugene Nepangue out in Gainesville - great training and folks, and enjoyed seeing some random inserts and options and applications to sneak into anything as I see fit. Thanks, Eugene for sharing and Jhun and family hosting and taking such good care of us.[​IMG] [​IMG]