NoVA Arnis in the Park

Discussion in 'NoVA Arnis in the Park' started by Dr. Tye W. Botting, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Today's arnis (9 Aug 2015): We started with a review of subligs from balintawak and did them classically as well as with several variations and feeding strikes randomly to apply the subligs on contact. We also reviewed a simple tokas for comparison, as well as the Professor's move that looks like a sublig from below (central to the first RvR tapi-tapi sequence I learned). From there we moved on to empty hands and did the empty-hand "tapi-tapi" drill (aka the 1-2 drill, or 3-2-3 count, or empty-hand sumbrada, or bkfist/back-smash/hook-punch, or...), again with variations and contact-counters and locks on (any) contact. Then we worked on single-stick random "sumbrada" free-flows; i.e. give and take with block-check-strikes. We did an isolated "feint-the-attack" move from last week's training with the Burton Richardson, followed by the concept drill in which you simply attack their hand if they attack yours, thereby not being there and turning the tables effortlessly. The idea behind the latter is that it's better to not be there than to block!

2. (Yep, out of order but meant to keep them all handy)

Today's arnis, 2 Aug 2015 (after a bit of working some kung fu with Dan, adding the next section of Hei Mau Chuan): A handful of us were there to go through a review of some sinawalis and some new ones (for us) from last weekend's WMAA Instructors Camp: single, double, simple 4-corners, 3-ct single (aka adv. single), single with tap and impact twirl, open double sinawali, double sinawali 4 (aka double 4-corners), X sinawali, double-double sinawali, sinawali 8, super sinawali, abanico sinawali, basic 10 count, my own double-zero sinawali (6 ct), and more. Then we worked on some isolated balintawak movements as they can be applied to tapi-tapi, working low and high subligs, and tokas. I tried showing some redonda twirling and some different rhythms including simultaneous and near-simultaneous strikes but couldn't do much since my forearm is still too painful. Argh.

3. (Two weeks ago)

Yesterday's arnis, 26 July 2015 (minus me): Anyo Isa single cane and double cane. Earth 6 (or low redonda). Crossada. Glad you all showed up and worked it - good for the old brain to pull it from your own memories. I'll be there this coming Sunday and help with any questions from yesterday before we go on. Pugay

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  4. (3 weeks past)

Today's arnis, 19 July 2015: A small group with some of the usual suspects, we opened with some single- and double-cane anyos (and alternate versions), then single sinawali for targeting and distance, then jumped straight into LvR tapi-tapi, some of the stuff the Prof. used to show in TX in the mid- and late 90's that I only have my "descriptive" or "mnemonic" names for: Given (which is a subset of Start, or other groups' #1), then Poke Ribs, then Bonk Head (also called "Bonk, Bonk, to the Head" a la ST-TOS), then Effortless Grab into Double-Trap. We also worked some LvR disarms and a few other things. Glad to have Guro Roman Picardo join in today - much fun was had by all, and we look forward to having him more in the future.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  5. Today's arnis, 28 June 2015: Some twirling and self-imposed cane and wrist locks to warm up, then working backwards through the 12 standard disarms (and variations including hubud, followups, impact disarms, etc), then we worked on a semi-sparring drill RvR for punyo sweeps, pokes, and passing knee(thigh) strikes. Small group but lots of good stuff covered. Great to see a couple returning new folks again, too!

6. Today's arnis, 21 June 2015: Some sinawali boxing with followups, both same-side and cross-hand: uppercuts, elbows, armbars, clothesline, forearm takedowns, etc. Emphasized balance control, timing, and distance, and we found a nifty detail to help with setup for the followup. Then one group worked on internal strength (we got sidetracked but it was fun anyway), and the others worked some LvR tapi-tapi concentrating on distance, footwork, and targeting for accurate feeds.

7. Today's arnis, 31 May 2015: We walked through some of the sumbrada and insertions from yesterday's FCS Kali seminar with Tuhon Ray Dionaldo, hosted by our friend Mosi Jack in DC. We got through most of the variations but will work on it more later. This sumbrada was a triple-hit give and take: Defender reacts to low #6 poke and drop blocks and responds with a no-windup #2 (balintawak style), abaniko #1, and low #6 poke to which the initial feeder responds with stick-up block, waist pivot to block the abaniko, and drop block - then it repeats from the other side. It's a nice drill to examine different options, under speed and very close in. We also had a man drop by with his two sons to see about getting them started, so I showed them some sinawali, entries and disarms, and empty-hand stuff.

8. Today's arnis, 24 May 2015: Started off with a bit of obstruction removal (slap-off and pull-off) and worked it into a give-and-take drill with slap-off/pull-off, tapi-tapi blocks, crossovers, pokes, driver exchanges, and more. Then we worked a bit of trapping hands / de cadena with a few applications, then empty-hand single sinawali, setups, and applications, then we sort of sparked around here and there showing the 1-2 drill (empty hand tapi-tapi), 6- and 10- count sumbradas, disarms, lock insertions and more. We had only half the people show up today but also a new guy, so we just played it by ear. Fun day, and we'll definitely be seeing more of the first drill later. Pugay

9. Today's arnis, 26 April 2015: A bit tired from this weekend, so we worked on several things covered at the camp Friday and Saturday - started with espada y daga palis palis, then moved to the flow drill with knives, then we worked angling and double-guntings with varied targets, then we worked quickly collapsing the tapi-tapi (pakgang) block when it's done to you, then we finished by putting a microscope on really instantly dominating once you apply that block so they can't collapse it on you and so that you've instantly opened the door for whatever followup you want to do. On that last, as the feeder of stikes to generate a block-check-counter, which we tapi-tapi block, we simply randomly decided beforehand how to make the controlling hand move their stick hand forcefully and instantaneously at the moment of contact, almost a technique in and of itself as it takes their balance, or closes them off, or hits them with their own cane, or whatever. This has to be done super-fast so we don't get the tapi-tapi block collapsed. Since I was tapping into "psycho mode" for this, they just used the momentum and commitment of that to followup on their own as appropriate. This little bit of programming for the tapi-tapi block puts the driver 3 steps ahead instead of one. Much fun was had by all!

10. Today's Arnis, 19 April 2015: Single sinawali then worked into doing it with one hand in reverse grip, then both hands reverse grip, then double sinawali with reverse grips. From there, we had reverse-grip defenders exploring movement, counter-striking, and disarms against normal-grip forehand strikes, backhand strikes, overhead strikes, and pokes - some interesting things came out, both adapted and new/specific to that alternate grip. Reverse grip is a good tool to emphasize the importance of movement, distance, and positioning - helps to not get too comfortable! After that we worked tapi-tapi basics with random feeds into tapi-tapi (pakgang) blocks with lots of good movement, high speed, and distance/jamming/control pressure, eventually working these up to having the non-driver take over the lead randomly and unexpectedly in mid-flow.

11. Today's arnis, 29 March 2015: footwork, distance, and timing in the context of random inserts and adaptability to them.

We started with 12 basic strikes assuming for each strike that your foe is just out of range, so as initiator you have to angle and close with footwork to be able to effect your strike. We worked the reverse as well ("initiatee"), in that case assuming that they're the one closing to attack or press you, but you angle-step and keep distance correct so that you can strike them instead.

Then we worked a dynamic version of single sinawali in which each person chooses of their own accord to either make a particular contact to strike powerfully, or to defend, or to hit the cane-hand (either offensively or defensively). Because of the distance control to attack or defend, and the two-sided randomness, this created a lot of good movement, control of distance and timing, and adaptability (e.g. both might choose to go for the kill-blow, then the slower one must not get hit somehow - block/evade). It ended up looking the way single sinawali should look - a lot like a fight. Just those 3 random choices and associated intents were enough to really get folks moving, managing distance, adapting, and targeting martially. It warmed my heart - good thing since it was below freezing!

Lastly, we applied what we worked with for the 12 strikes also against several 3-strike combinations for sparring, again playing both initiator and "initiatee." As the initiator, you angle to close to apply the combo but with the defender seeing the first motion and choosing to either block or to evade and counter-attack so the initiator now must adapt his series to either flow through a block right into the rest of the combo, use the first strike to jam and flow to the rest of the combo, skip the initial strike altogether and finish the combo without it, or change the initial strike to deal with the counter-attack (e.g. block/hit hand or arm/or hit anyway as angling took care of the threat). For the other variation, as the "initiatee" (your foe initiates by closing to strike), you angle to use the combo either as-is with the first strike a strike if your step to control angle/distance dissolved their attack or adapting to block, change targets (e.g. hand/forearm or jam center mass), etc. The next stage is of course additional possibilities or just free play against the combo, but it was a good start today.

The main goal was to microscope these aspects of uncontrollability or aliveness by using a subset of complete randomness within the context of the exercise to better train intent, footwork and distance, and adaptability. And that these things should always be in your mind even if you must train in a more prescribed fashion (your mind's eye should spot openings, look for options, adapt to what-ifs, etc, all while you're plugging and chugging away at a patterned drill - this is what I mean by training with intent and not just going through the motions. Heck, if I play patty-cake, I'm still thinking about openings, exposed angles, qinna/dumog opportunities, beating them to the clap, half-beats, 1vs2, etc, etc.)

12. Arnis today, 22 March 2015: Great to have so many people show up - in addition to regulars, thanks that we also had another 5 show up. Before class the regulars went over cane and empty hand anyos to get moving, then when start time rolled around at 10:30, we started with empty hand single sinawali with strikes and locks inserted and emphasizing footwork. Then we worked a progression starting with cane strikes to the actual targets (touch only, for targeting and distance and to save our partners), then against those strikes we added one move at a time for initial defender (D) or attacker (A), working each step in a variety of ways. We started with D angling footwork to avoid A's strike, then added D sweep blocks, then D checks at hand overlapping cane, then A closes and punches, then D destroys the punch using their or A's cane (or punyo), then D returns strike, then A closes and jams D's forearm, then D does the slap off and hits A anyway. We did a lot of variations and followups at each added step, only prescribing the step itself, all the while emphasizing footwork, distance control, and management of angling. We also did the punch insertion against the standard disarms off of blocks to work reaction and observation, to show the importance of shutting them down by angling, to emphasize the timing necessary, and to explore the options for mid-disarm responses. It was a good day - basic, but well worth it!

13. Today's opportunistic arnis and more on the road in CoSpgs, 11 Feb 2015: all the striking styles I could think of, a short tapi-tapi sequence to obstruction removal, followed by an option to end it from the non-driver side with a mean poke up the middle at the right time, obstruction removal vs 12 basic strikes and the empty-hand version, 4 hands on 2 canes leverage and sensitivity non-cooperative drill, cane retention, weaving disarms,
    staff-to-dantien paired walking, straight-arm paired walking, two-arm push-out grounding, more, and also good discussions on stances, movements, the value of forms, training, etc. Fun stuff!

14. Arnis today, 8 Feb 2015: Cane Anyo Isa with and without extra strikes/spins, piguro de otso and harada striking styles with footwork/distancing/targeting, then lots of time on the standard disarms 5-12 with details and options. A nice laid-back but focused day.

15. Today's arnis, 1 Feb 2015: We continued on with striking styles after a brief review as warm up, we went on to also do harada (multiple strikes), abaniko double-action, tusok, and punyo striking series' against the 12 basic strikes. Again, we stressed footwork, timing, check-controls, distance, targeting, and setup. I also covered weaving disarms using the first half of abaniko double-action with a two-arm weaving leverage to disarm, against both forehand and backhand strikes. I added on a cane single lock with the same entry for the backhand strike as well. From there we did a short RvR sequence that ended in obstruction removal (like a subliq) and also showed how to cut the sequence short even if you're in react mode by a hard tusok up the center even if you're behind and in total react mode. Fun stuff, and glad we had several people make it in the cold again!

16. Today's arnis, 25 Jan 2015: Good time working old school material, using striking styles against the 12 basic strikes: banda y banda, rompida, pigura de otso, taas-baba, and duplete. We got a lot of good work on those, and concentrated on footwork to support proper distance and targeting at the same time as checking between strikes to control the opponent. About 6-8 strikes each response to cover foot placement and targeting from a variety of angles and positions. We hadn't done duplete in awhile and it was a good crowning point to really stress good footwork. After that, we worked several drills to "wake up" the cane or weapon after it has been immobilized and then released - once freed we immediately used it to attack. As Professor said, "the weapon is alive!"

17. Arnis today, 18 Jan 2015: quick semi-review of the Kapatiran Mandirigma knife drill (6,7,7,5,5,5), then the modern arnis 5,6,7 poking drill exchange, then a bunch of LvR entries, sequences, disarms, hand-changes, baits and traps. Good to see so many made it out on a rainy just-above-freezing day! On top of that, our good friend Tom made it out to play, making the day even better. We all had a blast, and the weather be damned!

18. Arnis today, 11 Jan 2015: a few brave souls braved the sub-freezing and the ice on the ground at the park, and we warmed up with Anyo Isa empty-hand, had fun with sinawali boxing drill (w/ unbalancing blocking, uppercuts, elbow defense, and armbar). Then we did the 6,7,7,5,5,5 knife drill that brother Jhun shared with us from GM Shelley Milspaugh, of Kombatan. Thanks for coming and playing, folks - pugay!

19. Arnis today, 4 Jan 2015: An "ecumenical" version of Cane Anyo Isa for warmup (now my new favorite version), the 14-count sumbrada attached (with the help of my son Conal (9)), some unorthodox fast disarms and counters versus the final #12 and the middle #5, and LvR tapi-tapi double-trapping and some posing setups. It was good to see our old friends Keith and Keith again, too!

20. (archive of Arnis-in-the-park info from when I started logging in 2014, for reference - I was not as good as I'd have liked in writing what we did...)

6 Apr 2014: We had a good time at yesterday's Arnis and Kung Fu sessions. Some good review, but also a lot of new exploration. Since my travels are under control for at least a little while, I'll be there regularly for the next month, so come out and play!

30 Apr 2014 entry:
    Last Sunday: Anyo Dalawa, then tapi-tapi RvR with low-side attacks and hand-changes (review), then tapi-tapi LvR with posing baits then trap n handchange and continue (extend)
    Next Sunday: Anyo Tatlo, then knife vs knife, then tapi-tapi LvR (review from above), then tapi-tapi w/ leverage disarm to break flow.
    Upcoming: Anyo Dalawa Cane with pabilog inserts and applications, mandatory tapi-tapi (one review, one extend/explore), 1-2-5-12 "hit them anyway" drill with pressure and transition and applications, and all the usual basics
    My goal will to be more structured with at least one anyo as a warmup/review, mandatory tapi-tapi (1 review/1 extend), and basics refinement. After that, it's all icing.
    Please remind me to call partner changes, please ask if you're wanting more knife/sinawalis/disarms/sumbradas/striking-styles/flow-drills/whatever.
    I'll also try to be better at getting some pictures to show the fun we're having.

19 Jun 2014: Stick basics, a medium-long sumbrada (18-count), abaniko tapi-tapi variations, and traditional abaniko corto entries today at the park. We'll work on the followups in the coming week(s).

6 Jul 2014: A bit of review, then the 1st series of abaniko corto vs forehand strike (traditional diagonal slashing followups with disarms, locks, and throws), and then RvR tapi-tapi. Will continue with the abaniko corto followups in the coming weeks - next is the 2nd series of abaniko corto vs forehand strike (the vertical cane-up/cane-down series).

12 Aug 2014: Today's arnis with my visiting top arnis guy, Guro Abel Mann Martinez: trading random tapi-tapi (flowing, sharing, crossing, stealling), flowing with knives and barongs, abaniko sparring, the Kombaton kruzada knife drill (GM Milspaugh via Guro Jhun), swapping very fine details on disarms 1-12, some "duh" findings we both had, plus some work on the kung fu crescent knife set. More tomorrow!

24 Aug 2014: Basics today in arnis: cane anyos for warmup, then 12 basic strikes, then 6-count drill and variations (LvL, RvR, inverses of both, then adding off-beat and simultaneous live-hand strikes), then some quick tapi-tapi with hand changes and leg strikes. We also had another person join us, and it looks like they had fun and will be a lasting addition - cool beans!

31 Aug 2014: simultaneous counter-strikes with disarms (multiple variations) and ground pins after throws. It was a good day to remember the Professor. Next time: knives! Note I will not be there next Sunday, but Rita will have a couple of knife drills to work on and hopefully you all will still get together. Always plenty to work on!

14 Sep 2014: cane anyos isa and dalawa, 1-2-5-12 obstruction removal drill, 12 basic strike feeds into tapi-tapi blocking, traps off of that, and then empty-hand single sinawali with striking and locking.

21 Sep 2014: De cadena empty-hand with entry applications, then empty-hand "tapi-tapi" (aka the 1-2 drill) working into offensive contact-locks as alternates and against obstructions, then basic/starter RvR tapi-tapi (give and take version the Professor rarely showed) with disarms worked in (including a nice effortless positional one). I didn't get to the defensive contact-locks, but I covered a ton anyway - there's always more for next time! We were very happy to have guest Kuntaw instructors drop by to come playtoday, too - we all had fun mutually crossing hands and sticks and sharing. Hope to see them more whenever they can make it! Even without a few of the older regulars, we had 6 of us, which made for a healthy group and the ability to change partners enough to get a better feel for things.

28 Sep 2014: Simple leverage disarms vs #1 or #2, then closer/faster variations, then empty-hand vs stick versions. After that we did a quick review of the first two series of old-style abanico corto vs a forehand strike then on to the cane-armbar series of abanico corto variations, then faster and faster feeding pokes to block-check-strike and stop-block. Finally, most of us headed to lunch for some family visiting. A good day, and even more since we had another out-of-town visitortoday.

12 Oct 2014: Got moving with single sinawali and variations, then redonda w/ variations, then double sinawali w/ variations using pop-overs/recoils/round-the-head/banda-y-banda insertions. Then we migrated to some basic lock flows with emphasis upon maintaining control throughout such that the lock is effective at any point in time and position. After that we worked driving aggressive strike feeds again and again with a partner who would block-check-counterstrike and the feeder would periodically sneak in disarms randomly at as full-speed as they could handle - I liked this since the feeder could control the speed and targeting to set up their disarms to their own level of ability. Great job and great fun!

19 Oct 2014:Just a few things since it was a shorter day before the tournamenttoday: some cane anyo review, trading crossada blocks vs various strikes, then some basic abanico corto vs a backhand strike, and finally 3 different sumbradas (6-count, box drill, and crossada). As an added bonus, we had a surprise guest drop in to play with us, GM Datu Tim Hartman- you never know who's going to come on by! Thanks again for the visit and for showing us the crossada sumbrada and sharing some excellent points on several other areas.

26 Oct 2014: Small grouptoday, but a fun bit of stuff fortoday's arnis: warmup with "air" sinawalis flowing one to the next with some variations, twirling as shadow-sparring (a la GM Taboada), then feeding block-check-counter to stick-up (pakgang or tapi-tapi) blocks with emphais on feeling what could come next even while planning the next feed, then more feeding but now inserting random disarms or finishes at the pakgang block (on their own or called by me). We spent about an hour on these two with no breaks - good reflexes and base for skills. I pressed them faster and faster at the end, and they were much more natural/relaxed/flowing/quick. Lastly, we went back to abaniko corto against #2 strikes, adding cane-forearm takedowns and upwards cane-wristlock/throw.

2 Nov 2014: a bit of cane anyos to get moving, then sumbradas and their left-handed variants and LvsR, then building on the RvR cane give and take subliq drill, we worked in taking the lead at various places randomly and some variations vs the trapped-grab into a center lock part.

23 Nov 2014: Started with the cane anyos, then worked cane pass-through drills, then empty-hand, then progressed to the flow drill with guntings done empty-hand and then with knives. After that a bit of RvR tapi-tapi where passenger-tries-to-take-control after the pakgang block but driver counters, breaks out, and controls using tulok-type pressure. Also snuck in a popsicle-stick under chin finish option during the breakout as well. We built on that to rolling punyo strikes to change to LvR with another trap and finishing with tulok-type domination. Good times.

7 Dec 2014: double sinawali warmup, then go to single stick vs. double sinawali with several variations. After that, I had them do L vs R tapi-tapi with the rib-poking after guiding their #12 punyo wide, done both in microcosm and as old-style backing out to single sinawali and re-entering. I stressed that the driver must dominate the balance and the angles. We also worked it into the larger context with backhands, traps, etc. Lastly, we worked the 1-2 empty-hand drill and concentrated on targeting and contact-entries - any time they make contact with you in this drill, you should be able to make them pay for it. Again I stressed the domination, and this allowed me to work in some classic Professor moves.