news bot posts

Discussion in 'Philippine News' started by jwinch2, May 23, 2010.

1. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Does anyone else find all of the random "news bot" posts annoying is it just me? It would be one thing if the news was related to something MA or FMA but it isn't.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

We were hoping it'd get major things that people would find interesting, but even after having toned down the frequency it doesn't seem to generate much interest. It's an experiment so we'll be interested to hear what people think!

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

3. scrap it I'd say and maybe do a weekly round-up or something.

My problem with this update is finding new posts. It's probably a problem in chrome but I know there is a number of new posts in the top left corner that you can click. When I do it it does nothing. So, I rely on the window on the right hand side to see new posts. All the news bot posts take up this window so it is hard for me to find new FMA related posts quickly.

Just my thoughts.

Simon.

4. scrap it I'd say and maybe do a weekly round-up or something.

My problem with this update is finding new posts. It's probably a problem in chrome but I know there is a number of new posts in the top left corner that you can click. When I do it it does nothing. So, I rely on the window on the right hand side to see new posts. All the news bot posts take up this window so it is hard for me to find new FMA related posts quickly.

Just my thoughts.

Simon.

5. Gotta love this $55 Pinoy internet :(

Sorry for the double post.

6. KaliGman

KaliGman Professional Man at Arms

Kill it

I would vote to kill it. I find the bot posts do not contribute to the forum.

7. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

Unless you are a Filipino all the news from the Philippines is not that relevant, scrap it unless it has MA overtones.. It is annoying

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

We appreciate these comments! The FMA From Around the Web forum brings in posts from other martial arts fora, but not news per se; the news feed gets general news from the Phil. We don't have a way to get news that is only martial arts related, unfortunately. Does anyone find the news posts useful? The last thing we want is to make navigating the site difficult!

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

9. qwertz

qwertz New Member

please, get rid of it.

10. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Maybe I'm the odd one out, but I like reading them...

11. Some of them are of particular interest to me living here.

It's taking up the "New Posts" slot that bugs me.

It's been a while and IMO this new skin / update is not as easy to navigate. I have noticed also (but you will have the stats probably) that there seems to be less people posting. I also saw an advertisement (when logged in) at the top of the forum under the banner. This was where the "New posts" was shown before :(

Still, glad that god-awful "Tag cloud" has gone though :)

EDIT - my mistake it's still there but smaller.

I see that 6/10 of the "New Topics" are from the News Bot. This would be great if it was a news forum....

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Hmmmm, I wonder if the news posts could be auto-marked as read so people could look for them if they wanted but wouldn't have to deal with them in the new posts listing otherwise. I don't know if this is possible!

I too am not crazy about the new lay-out, but changes "under the hood" were important to site security and stability. We're hoping the next update of the software addresses some of the "look and feel" issues. Much of this can be customized...once they put all the hooks in.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

13. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

My feeling is that if people want to read news than they will go to a site that has it. If there is news that relates to what we do here or is worthy of discussion on a martial arts forum then someone will find it and bring it on here to generate discussion. Why I need to log onto a FMA forum to see a thread started by a newsbot about a Japanese guy who got lost surfing is beyond me. In my view it is a waste and just clutters up the forum with stuff that is not related to the purpose that brought all of us here.

In an effort to see if anything worthwhile had actually come out of those posts, I went through all 9 pages of threads started by the newsbot and was not able to find a single instance where discussion was generated as a result. In every single occasion it is one post and zero replies. To me this suggests that this is contributing exactly nothing to the forum.

I vote to get rid of it post-haste.

14. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Phillippine news feed is now disabled. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

- Carol
    - FMAT Tech Admin

15. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Thanks!