Newb Questions...

Discussion in 'General' started by Sooter, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Sooter

Sooter New Member

Newb here with a couple of quick questions. I'm interested in learning eskrima/arnis/kali but I'm in the military and so will not always be in the same place. So my questions...

1) How similar or different are the various styles?

2) If, as is likely to happen, I have to jump from style to style, are they easily blended?

On a separate note, it is my understanding that stick and knife work is the same attacks and defenses, is this correct?

Thanks...

2. Sooter

Sooter New Member

Really guys... Almost 100 views and not one response!?

3. TaskForce3Tango

TaskForce3Tango Loose cannon

FYI Your 100 views are probably guests and bots.
    I too am military. I've been training off and on for about 6 years. I started of with Lucay Lucay system blended with Inasanto/Lacoste Kali. I recently deployed. While out here I found a trainer that I've learned Balintawak arnis from. In the words of Bruce Lee " Use no way as a way, Use no limitation as a limitation" Every martial art will translate something into the other. I also train in Muay Thai and BJJ. I can easily change forms or incorporate techiniques between styles. Not one form is better than the other IMO. It's all part of becoming a more evolved fighter. You take what you can use and discard what doesn't work for you. That is all.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

4. michigankalisilat

michigankalisilat New Member

Unfortunately your questions are very vague. Are there any styles in particular that you are interested in?

There are hundreds if not thousands of available styles of Filipino martial arts out there. Regardless of if they are called kali, escrima, arnis, each style has something unique to offer. Some are blade based, others stick based. Some focus heavily on footwork while others rely on rapid upper body movements. Some styles teach principles where weapons can be interchanged. Others teach a specific set of techniques for each weapon.

Depending on the style, some are easy to jump between. Others may contradict each other. I strongly suggest picking one style and take a few classes. See if you like how it feels.

Hope that helps

Eric

5. RETIRADA

RETIRADA New Member

Hi Sooter,

I guess I can provide you with my personal insights/experiences as I was at one time moving/learning from one FMA style/system to another, mainly out of curiosity and the willingness and eagerness to always keep learning something new while the opportunity was there. Started FMA in 1985 and cross-trained at the IMB Academy, Inosanto Academy then studied/trained in; Villabrille Kali, Doce Pares, Balintawak, Lucaylucay Kali, Lameco Eskrima, Pekiti Tirsia and lastly Kalis Ilustrisimo.

No one style/sytem is better than the other. It all depends on what you are looking for and how much time you have time to train. There are more similarities than differences. Then there are specialization aspects as well.

If you are in the military, I suggest learning a very simple and direct FMA system or method. A system that has only one strategy/concept in handling various types of edged and impact weapons. Simple footwork and techniques that are easy to retain, practice and apply. Always train left and right side.

Good luck.

Louie

6. >>1) How similar or different are the various styles? <<
    More similar than different but there ARE differences. FMA is like a multifaceted gemstone with each facet representing a system's/style's viewpoint/focus. Look into any one facet and you may see brilliance; look into another and you may see faults.

>>2) If, as is likely to happen, I have to jump from style to style, are they easily blended?<<
    Yes, if and only if you understand the principles and concepts of FMA. Understand this and you will be able to flow not just from one FMA system to another but also to & from non-FMA systems.

>>On a separate note, it is my understanding that stick and knife work is the same attacks and defenses, is this correct?<<
    The stick, the sword and the knife may all be gripped and wielded the same way and there are some patterns of movement that are common to all but each weapon has its own advantages in utilization and its own weaknesses in exploitation. My opinon (and it's just that, an opinion):

When training, view the weapon you're holding and the weapon you're defending against, for what they are.

If you view the stick as a sword, you will not learn to make full use of all the benefits that a stick gives you and you will fail to become proficient in some of the easiset ways to defend against the stick. ("Oh, I can't grab that end; that's supposed to be a blade.")

If you are using training swords, bolos, machetes and knives then practice your blade-based system/subsystem.
    If you are training with sticks, then practice your stick-based system/subsystem. There is nothing wrong with a stick-based fighting system. Learn both; you have your whole life to practice.

If a grenade is thrown into the room, you're not going to say to yourself, "Oh, somebody just threw a knife into the room." View things as they truly are and act accodingly.

Alex(ander Bautista Bayot France)
    Barangay Looc, Sibulan, Negros Oriental, Philippines

7. Sooter

Sooter New Member

My apologies for taking so long to get back... If the different styles can be broken down between blade and stick emphasis, i guess I'd be more interested in bladed systems. Perhaps PTK as I hear blades are focused on in that style. However as I stated before, where I'm posted and the availability of training opportunities and venues plays a big role in my options.

8. GrandmasterP

GrandmasterP New Member

Depends on where you are based and what's available locally; you can't really learn without a teacher so check out the schools you can get to and then do a bit of research into each one before deciding which one to attend would be my advice.

9. Charlie

Charlie New Member

I once asked my instructor why do all the styles look so familer. And I do agree with his answer there are thousands of martial arts styles but there is only so many ways to block a strike with out it looking redundant so most styles look similar the major differance would be the philisiphy of the system. Every system has something to offer when there is an issue with the system it is useally the teacher or practiner not the system its self.