New to The Forum // Hand Protection

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by Jonthan, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Jonthan

Jonthan New Member

Hey Everyone,

just wanted to shout out a hello. Name is Jonathan, train Arnis De Cadena if everything goes well in Calgary, AB and Okotoks, AB.

I am on a quest here as well. I am looking for a place to buy equipment from, manly Hand Protection that allows you to grip your opponents wrist while still Protection the fingers. Currently using Boxing gloves, Hockey Gloves and lameco eskrima Hand pads. Respond on here or Private message me ideas, thoughts, or retail or wholesale.

2. RETIRADA

RETIRADA New Member

Check out the Eskrima sparring glove w/c allows grabbing the opponents wrist from the Doce Pares Eskrima groups either in the US or Cebu City, Philippines. I do not have their website address but please search the web for it. If I come across it I will forward it to you. But you are on the right path by using the LAMECO hand and arm guards. I consider these to be very valuable training equipment.

3. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

Hello and welcome to the forum! Say, did you go to the Kali Academy Summer camp? I was there!

4. Jonthan

Jonthan New Member

Hey Phil,

ya I was there, you were the reason I joined this forum.

5. Jonthan

Jonthan New Member

Where you talking about this

http://www.eskrimador-supplies.com/images/wekafgloves.jpg

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

7. Phil Mar Nadela

Jonthan,

That’s great that you are here!
    I know it is frustrating to find equipment that works for you, that’s why I started making my own sticks.
    Have you considered making a glove? Maybe a design that will work for your style? Many FMA improvised there equipment, Like Master Yuli. He made padded sticks (out of stockings and rattan) back when nobody sold them, Guro Sonny and fellow member Kuya Simon (eskrimakaliarnis.com) confirmed it.

Phil

8. Hi Phil et all,

I have seen photos on another forum of guys here in the Philippines making their own gloves (like welding / gauntlet gloves) so like Phil says it is possible and a cheaper option.

A glove I do sell fits your description well:

[​IMG]

However, I am currently sold out until 2 / 3 weeks. As previously mentioned Tuhon Pat o' Malley's Wife's company eskrimador-supplies.com has a similar glove at a good price.

I do have the "Lameco" style gloves in stock but they do preclude grabbing. The advantages are great protection and a lower cut on the wrist allowing more mobility. If anoybody wants a pair they're $36.99 (inclusive of worldwide shipping). Just PM me.

[​IMG]

9. dboeren

dboeren New Member

At our school we use Lacrosse gloves. They're much less bulky than hockey gloves, etc... and are dextrous enough for grabbing with.

10. Phil Mar Nadela

Gaunlet leather gloves

Jonthan,

Are you still looking for a glove? I wanted to wait until i got it but i ordered a "gauntlet" type glove from a gentleman that does Arnis in the Philippines. His name is Raymund and he sells and makes hand protection out of Carabao (water buffalo) leather. It has an open grip and less padding so you grip and use your free hand more. And it is leather so apparently its hard enough for heavy sparing. He even made a blog on how he constructed the pair that he made for me. It will take a week to get here but I can't wait to try it. Apparently he uses his pair for live stick sparring.

Here is the link to his blog and site http://subastore.multiply.com/journal ,http://subastore.multiply.com/, it has good pics of the glove and one of him wearing it http://subastore.multiply.com/photos/album/10/ME#1.m I'm not sure if you need an account to see the blog and photo's but i will take pics and
    I'll try to make a review after i tried it anyway.

11. Phil Mar Nadela

Raymund Suba's Gauntlets, Impressions

I received the gauntlets a few weeks ago but was unable to post pics and impressions for my home computer crashed.

Here are some pics of the gauntlet with and without gloves (for extra protection)

At first i was surprised how light and thick the leather was. It is very hard, i still cant believe it is leather.
    I was also a little reluctant using it for the fingers are lose and it only use elastics to hold the fingers which covers the the knuckles, it made me feel very exposed to strikes. But it was enough to protect my fingers in a closed grip and it gave me allot of mobility. The grip was excellent and it felt like i wasn't using a glove.

It takes some time to get use to, when sparring i forgot that i was wearing it. Although it is light,like any glove it gave me a limited wrist movement and abaniko strikes are harder to do.
    The arm guard of the gauntlet is lose enough that one can use some padding if necessary, although i felt like i did not need any.

Raymund (the gentleman that made it) can customize the gauntlets, i asked for him to add the arm guard and to dye it black, he also offered elbow pads made with the same material.

Raymund took a while to make it, but it was all worth the wait and i am very satisfied with my purchase.[​IMG]
    I highly recommend it to someone who likes using ones live hand for wrist grabs.

Attached Files:

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Cool! I'll be interested to know how they hold up. My wife works leather and helped my son make a shield...

13. Phil Mar Nadela

So far i have used it twice in sparing and it held up pretty good. I guess i just have to wait to use it in the upcoming tournament for the real test.

14. Guro Michael

Guro Michael New Member

We use LaCrosse gloves. They are designed to grip and strike. Some guys cut the palm leather out from the glove. The best ones seem to be Warrior brand (made in the Pilipines) or Brine. We also use LaCrosse helmets for sparring, after adding leather collar guards.