New Systems

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by fangjian, Jan 18, 2009.

1. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

Somebody suggested I ask this question instead of asking how many different styles of Balintawak exist. I'm not asking instead of, but it is just as interesting to me.

What styles have come from Balintawak? What is different? What is the same?

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Modern Arnis has Balintawak as a major component!

3. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

Could you explain a little bit more? I practice both, but am very low level at both so I'm hardly qualified to add much.

4. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

Or point me in the right direction ( website or something) please. The only similarities I've really seen are the angles of attack(1-12). I've heard some say Tapi Tapi drill was based off Balintawak it but seems very different to me.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Remy Presas was a Balintawak student and very good at it. He based Modern Arnis principally off of it and his family's machete-based system. You don't see it as obviously as he stressed general self-defense (not stick-dueling). But he also added some things intended to counter a Balintawak player!

6. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

Thanks Arnisador.

There are others like Necopa, and CEM. Any players from these styles want to share their knowledge with us. It would be appreciated. Also someone mentioned Lapunti came from Balintawak but in my searching I could not find that info.

7. Robert Klampfer

Robert Klampfer New Member

Point of order: Lapunti did not come from Balintawak. It has some Balintawak influence in it. Johhny Chiuten is credited for that, as well as the kung fu influence in their footwork.

Robert

8. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

Thanks for the info. I had watched some of their videos and found their movement interesting, saw some Balintawak-like stuff but when I started reading about it I couldn't find the answer.

Some others I'm having trouble finding history for are; Serrada, DeCuerdas, and Sonny Umpad's system.

I know Sonny Umpad did Balintawak. What lineage? How much did it influence his system?

9. Mono

Mono Member

Yuli Romo (Bahad ZuBu Kalis Illustrisimo) also studied Balintawak - though I dont Know if je includes any into his Bahad ZuBu Training (I ve seen him Play Balintawak though...)

Maybe Twist can elaborate and give further Infos!?

10. Twist

Twist Junior Member

Hmm... He certainly did quite a lot of Joe Go's stuff with me at the end of my stay with him - but that's not really typical Balintawak.

So I'd say it's more the Gokosha. - I think, Joe Go's principles had a big influence on Mang Yulis foot/bodywork training... not so much the Balintawak, though.

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I always thought of it as a very localized system--I'm surprised how bit its impact has been!

12. dark_hadou

dark_hadou Junior Member

During the early 1970's GM Yuli moved to Manila, where he studied the Balintawak Eskrima system, learning from Boy Ursal, a senior student of the legendary Grandmaster Joe Go. In this period, GM Yuli also trained directly under Joe Go, extending his skills in the Balintawak system while also learning Tat Kun Tou and the Bio-Olisi - long-stick fighting method.

13. I would also echo what Twist has said before.

Master Yuli never considered himself to be a "Senior" in balintawak. I know he respects the system a lot and frequently shows Balintawak drills when talking about different systems and approaches, etc.

As Twist says, the bio-stick and Gokosha influence Bahad Zu'bu more perceptively than any of the Balintawak stick work. The majority of the Bahad Zu'bu stick work derives from Illustrisimo (bio-stick aside).

Simon.