New Stick and Blade Combatives (L.S.A.I.) website

Discussion in 'Lightning Scientific Arnis' started by Shaun, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Shaun

Shaun New Member

2. The Old Way Traveler

The Old Way Traveler a sponge for knowledge

thank you for the website mr. porter... i loved watching the video with GM Luna... simply marvelous!!!

3. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Very nice website and I echo the comments about the video of GM Luna. Very good stuff!

If you don't mind a question, where is the material for the solo dagger coming from? It is my impression that LSA is not typically focused on that weapon and your own description of the art via your website would seem to suggest the same thing. You mention in your description studying other arts so I would assume you have borrowed some material from one or more of them. Would that be fair? If so, have you had a difficult time blending that material into LSA or was it a relatively smooth process?

Cheers Shaun!

Jason

4. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Yes,the clip of Mang Ben and Master Ybanez is really superb and a pleasure to watch.
    Mang Ben was 78 at the time of this video and stiill very strong.
    Thanks for the interest.

5. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Thanks Jason,yes the clip of Mang Ben is as good as FMA gets and I mean this in a modest way.
    GM Lema is simply a legend of the Filipino martial arts and was a true gentleman.

Ok,the solo dagger material.I am assuming you mean when holding the dagger (as opposed to defending empty hands against a small bladed weapon).
    Again,this is largely based on our 'working the stick' / Serrada fighting.I am sure you have heard this before and I apologize for this,but it is really about the footwork being all important.The fact that the weapon is a small blade is incidental.It is the timing,tactics and footwork that is the key, not the weapon.Yes,there will be adjustments made depending on what weapons both you and your opponent are holding, but I feel the essence of the fight is the three attributes I have mentioned and of course the desire to kill your opponent before he kills you.
    If it is you holding empty hands against a dagger,these are techniques shown to me by Mang Ben.
    You are quite right Jason in thinking that the dagger or blade is not as emphasized as much in L.S.A.I. as the baston or Itak / machete.This is because it all stems from the baston or longer blade.It is much more difficult to control of a longer weapon than it is a short blade and if one gains mastery over the baston and Itak, the knife soon follows.

Yes I have influences from other systems, but this is mainly (but not exclusively)in the empty hands aspect of what I do in Stick and Blade Combatives. The cross training aspect mainly comes in to it from applying Lightning counters ( and developing counters) to techniques from other styles and systems and to observe the tactics and techniques of other styles.
    Have I borrowed techniques from other systems,yes, but not many as I am trying to simplify what I do, not complicate it - as I mentioned,the cross training has been mainly of use in seeing what other sytems do and ensuring that Lightning counters are applicable to these 'other' techniques,or developing counters of my own.
    If you wan't me to be specific about techniques I have 'borrowed'and incorporate in to Stick and Blade Combatives I will.
    A friend of mine and an Instructor in his own right has shown me a very nice Italian knife technique that just works.So I teach it to my group.
    It has not been difficult at all incorporating non Lightning things in to what I do as if the techniques are sound, meaning good footwork and simplicity,they generally fit in with the LSAI syllabus anyway.
    One VERY important aspect of what we do at Stick and Blade Combatives is to 'push the envelope' with regards to using the baston against more common everyday weapons.My philosophy is that you are far more likely for example in the west to encounter a baseballbat than you would an arnis stick, so we spend a lot of time training against these types of weapons and this has been time very well spent.

Hope this helps.

6. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Thanks for the detailed response Shaun. I would be very interested in seeing some of your translations between the stick/machete to the knife sometime if you ever get motivated to do such a video. I have heard many people talk about translating the stick to the short knife using the same movements but I haven't seen it done very well too often. For example, I am a big believer in tightening up your movements with a small weapon but I consistently see footwork and arm movements which, while they are perfect for a 28 inch stick, are out of character for a small knife such as a pocket folder that people commonly carry. I have also come to feel that the thrust is much more important with a short blade as a slash, particularly to non-vital areas, is not going to have nearly the same effect that it will with a longer weapon. There are many other examples in my view of how stick work does not translate as easily as some suggest to knife, but those are two obvious ones that come to mind.

Anyway, those are just my ramblings. Having said all of that, I really like what I have seen from LSA in terms of stick and stick and dagger and would be very interested in seeing some short blade work whenever you feel up to putting it out there. Good luck with the new endeavor and kudos for having the stones to throw your work out there for all to see.

Thanks again for taking the time,

Cheers!

7. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Thanks Jason.You are correct,the motions with a typical folder should be much more economical.I think however is only a small adjustment that can be rectified with going through the fundamental strikes of one's particular system with a short blade.
    You also have a very valid point IMHO about thrusts being more effective perhaps than slashes with a short blade.A good example would be trying to cut through a leather coat or jacket with a slash that is not 'right on the money'.

I had not thought about doing a short blade video as I believe there are quite a few out there.This said,it does interest me and I will probably do one in the future.Thanks for your encouragement and good luck and have fun with your own training.

8. The Old Way Traveler

Mr. Porter, i have a couple of questions.... you mentioned on your website the LSAI, the art Mang Ben perfected, had some Serrada based movements.. Where did he learn Serrada from and who taught him??

keep posting your videos up!!! i enjoy and try my best to emulate the movements you have shown..

james

9. Shaun

Shaun New Member

It is really difficult to be specific about where for example Mang Ben learned Serrada.One of my LSA colleagues perhaps on Mang Ben's home island of Panay may know these specific details,or perhaps one of the other LSA Masters may know.
    What I can tell you is that Mang Ben's initial FMA tuition was with his father Juan Luna.He then later travelled extesively learning from various prominent Masters on the island of Panay, bearing in mind that this was not common (I believe) in those times to seek out Masters teaching other systems as many Masters did not publicly teach what they did.There was also the ever present danger of being challenged to a duel, which could be with live steel.
    Thanks James.

10. The Old Way Traveler

thank mr. shaun for your reply.. i think that GGM Angel Cabales (of Serrada fame) was from the island of Panay.. maybe they crossed paths before.. i just love the way Mang Ben flows with his strikes.. so fluid, yet devastating.. i wish i can get to that level, or even come slightly close.. haha.. is there any LSAI schools around the US? in arizona, perhaps??

james

11. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Thanks Shaun. I hope you do decide to put out such a video. I would be very interested in seeing what you come up with.

Later,

12. Shaun

Shaun New Member

The only place to learn LSA in the states is Seattle.This will change however in the not too distant future hopefully.

The Serrada in LSA,refers to the close range facet of the system as opposed to another style, you possibly know this?

From the second Mang Ben would hold a stick,it was pure joy to watch and feel,lol.

Thanks again.

13. The Old Way Traveler

the people i train with here in arizona are serrada based people, although they mix in largo mano and de cuerdas principles too.. but mostly, we try to get the serrada side of the art down to a science..

i don't know about feeling Mang Ben's strikes as pure joy... maybe a cross between pure terror and relief that he can control his stick the way he did.. haha..

thanks!!!

14. LegendLoLo

LegendLoLo New Member

Good Day!

Sorry for intruding on your talks. I've back read all the stuff that are posted here and learned more history of what LSAI is all about. I've also watched the videos that are given and was mesmerized by the moves of the late Grand Master, Very fluid and outstandingly effective and beautiful.