new school

Discussion in 'General' started by adam t babb, Aug 8, 2009.

1. adam t babb

adam t babb New Member

thinking about starting a new fma school any sujestions?

2. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Patience...take it slow and cover all possible bases.....wise marketing, location.....if you cover these it will take wings and fly...it may take awhile but it can and will happen. I jsut did it myself. best of luck.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yup...and timing, because now we're in a recession. Be aware that to succeed you usually have to teach kids, in which case the stick is just a stick--bladed weapons tend to scare off parents.

But good luck if you do go ahead with this!

4. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

Location! location! location! it is about where you place your school, then the time of year. For example you do not want to put it in an area where parents do not want their kids to be,or where women are affraid to go. As for the time of year, it is not wise to start when school begins, elementry,jr., or high school and college, parents and students will have plenty of expensives and costs like books and fees just to name two. After that is football, halloween Thanksgiving and Christmas, not to forget about prom and homecoming. I say this because many of your students will be in that age bracket. Others will come in like adults who are single and working with no other expensives (bills), and have some extra cash to spend. It is those who seek self defense or a social outlet or maybe to get in shape that will come in regardless of time of year, and those should be selling points. These are just a few things to consider and there is much much more.

5. Bahad Zubu-Florida

Bahad Zubu-Florida New Member

I would recommend doing some internet research on martial arts school start-up or maybe just a business start-up in general. This site may help:
    http://martialartsbusinessdaily.com/category/martial-arts-business-articles/starting-a-martial-art-school/.

Also, I recommend visiting your local Small Business Administration (SBA) and/or Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE).

About SBA:
    http://www.sba.gov/
    The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) was created in 1953 as an independent agency of the federal government to aid, counsel, assist and protect the interests of small business concerns, to preserve free competitive enterprise and to maintain and strengthen the overall economy of our nation. We recognize that small business is critical to our economic recovery and strength, to building America's future, and to helping the United States compete in today's global marketplace. Although SBA has grown and evolved in the years since it was established in 1953, the bottom line mission remains the same. The SBA helps Americans start, build and grow businesses. Through an extensive network of field offices and partnerships with public and private organizations, SBA delivers its services to people throughout the United States, Puerto Rico, the U. S. Virgin Islands and Guam.

About SCORE:
    http://www.score.org/index.html
    SCORE "Counselors to America's Small Business" is a nonprofit association dedicated to educating entrepreneurs and the formation, growth and success of small business nationwide. SCORE is a resource partner with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).

SCORE is headquartered in Herndon, VA and Washington, DC and has 370 chapters throughout the United States and its territories, with 11,200 volunteers nationwide. Both working and retired executives and business owners donate time and expertise as business counselors. SCORE was founded in 1964.

Hope this helps...

6. sjansen

sjansen New Member

Just remember that there are more martial arts schools in America than there are McDonalds (Totally true fact!). So, if your starting a new one be ready. Most fail within the first year. You want almost no overhead i.e. rental, startup, renovation, media/advertising, and instructor payroll. Expand slow even if you have a bunch of students at the get go, most will quit in the first few months no matter how good of an instructor you are. Especially, don't take students quitting personal just look for new ones, call the old ones and try to see what improvements you can make even if they are not going to continue with you. Look at the long haul and not the immediate future. They say that if you don't have at least three public schools within a 20 mile radius that you will have trouble sustaining student enrollment whether it be young kids or adults.

Good luck and let us know how everthing is going.

7. silat1

silat1 Active Member

a few suggestions that I used when I started my school and capitalized on my degree in marketing.. I started with a woman's self defense program and giving demonstrations along with talks on self defense to various groups.. It pays to have a program to get people in the door and use your training to get them real interested in your program.. I also did a couple of demonstrations in the malls we have out here, that is where your most exposure is going to be.. I taught at one location for close to 15 yrs and at one time was running 3 schools plus giving private lessons to interested personnel.. My client base was geared toward kids when I first started out, but after a few years, everything started working out so the classes were equally proportioned with adults and kids.. Kids classes came first and were broken down by age groups, then we went in 45 minute sessions.. Adult classes ran for more than 90 minutes and consisted of empty hand and weapons classes as the group progressed.. I have two guys who have been with me for close to 20 yrs and they are working in the military and security field.. It all started from a demonstration at the mall..

8. smartial02

smartial02 New Member

try victory martial arts.. they are good. watch their updated videos. hope this will help you..

9. sjansen

sjansen New Member

After school feeder programs work well also although you will not be able to incorporate weapons. You could promote this to the students in the feeder programs to get them to come to your home school.

10. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I have hard feelings about after school feeder programs as most of the time they turn out to be a cheap alternative to babysitting.. I tried to teach an after school program, but once the parents just dropped off their kids and disappeared, I closed it down because it was a waste of my time.. I also had parents trying to tell me that their kids were ready for testing in rank advancement, but when I would ask them to show me specific basics, they got the deer in the headlight look..

I also had kids interrupting my class because of the area where I taught which was a youth center where I had the gymnastics room booked off for 2 hrs per class day.. It was part of my contract agreement that the class wouldn't be interrupted during my times and the staff was not to let spectators in unless they told me prior to class starting.. I told them that the kids who were in my class had my priority and any one not in the class could either come prior to class starting or after my class had ended.. It was with this procedure instituted that I had the ability to teach the class without interruptions.

I haven't taught kids since the end of the 90's and for the most part, I will not teach kids classes for the time being. I am continuously asked to come back and teach at the youth center again as well as other locations on the military installation where I work, but for the time being, it will not be entertained..

I know that a lot of instructors count on the kids classes to pay the over head costs in operating a commercial school, but I don't need the money and will not lower my standards to prostitute myself or my arts for the almighty dollar...

Just my personal opinion

11. adam t babb

adam t babb New Member

i thank you all for your information i will keep you all updated on the progress