New Guy from Michigan

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by Shooter, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Shooter

Shooter New Member

Hello all. I am a new guy here from Michigan. I have had a long time interest in the Filipino Martial Arts, and have decided it is time to start. I am probably quite a bit older than most beginners, but one is never too old to learn, correct?

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Welcome! You're going to do fine--good luck!

3. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

No you are never to old! Welcome to FMATalk and know that several of us are from Michigan! [​IMG]

4. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Which part of Michigan? Who are you training with?

5. MPC1257

MPC1257 New Member

Old is a state of mind. If you don't mind then you're not old. I say you never too old to start learning, good luck.

6. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

I used to say "old age is always 15yrs beyond my current age".

7. Shooter

Shooter New Member

I am from the Shelby/Utica area. I have been looking for a school, but no luck so far. Anyone know about Guro Ben Harrison? is he worth seeking out, or is there someone else I should be looking at? Thanks for your help.

8. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Can't say about Harrison but I can ask around. Perhaps some of the other Michigan guys know him.
    I'm located about an hour and 1/2 south of you, near Holland. Kataas Puno Bong Jornales is located in Holland and there's a few other groups in the Grand Rapids general area. I'll ask them, they have a large circle they travel in.
    Welcome!

9. Brian R. VanCise

Ben or Guro Harrison is a great guy. You will definitely enjoy working with him if you get the chance. [​IMG]

10. Shooter

Shooter New Member

Brian, I thank you. I noticed on his website that he only holds class on Sunday. Due to being in school fulltime, and working to support myself, I have to work Sundays. Is there anyone else in my area that you might recommend? I am grateful for any assistance.

11. sjansen

sjansen New Member

It is a drive but you can check out Mike Tabor in Charlotte Michigan. He is well worth the drive. Look for his email and phone number on PKS (progressive kali silat) website. I have looked for many years and have found noone better and more knowing than him. He does a mix of many of the kali/escrikma/Silat arts.

12. Brian R. VanCise

Well there is Rich Parsons in Flint, Michigan. (absolutely great instructor and a good friend) http://fmaclub.com/index.htm

There is Martial Arts Unlimited in Madison Heights. Chris Malgeri is the teacher there and he has some skill and it is a full time school with lots of classes. It is a JKD and Brazilian Jiujitsu blend. http://www.maunlimited.com/HOME.html

I believe Chuck Gauss is in Livonia.

Enoch Carlton is a Modern Arnis guy that I believe this is his site: http://www.modern-arnis.com/ (definitely a good guy to work out with)

Hope that helps a bit. [​IMG]

13. Shooter

Shooter New Member

That helps a great deal. I believe that Enoch Carlton may be the one to help me with this. Thank you much.

14. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Shooter,

Tell Enoch I said Hi. And Good Luck training with him. I always enjoy talking to him. A good guy.

Thanks

Rich

15. Brian R. VanCise

Shooter you will enjoy training with Enoch. [​IMG]

16. Shooter

Shooter New Member

Brian and Rich, I thank you both. Will let you know how things turn out.

17. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Gentleman,
    Thank-you for the kind words and recommendations, I am humbled.

Shooter,
    I would be glad to help you in anyway possible.
    Please call me 586-484-8407 anytime.

Thank-you,
    Enoch

18. Shooter

Shooter New Member

Thank you, Sir. I will call later today.

19. Shooter

Shooter New Member

Brian and Rich, thanks for the recomendation for Enoch Carlton. I finally had my first session with him today. The lateness was entirely on me not him, but he is all you said and more. I thoroughly enjoyed my class time with Enoch. Peace to you both.

20. sharon.gmc

sharon.gmc New Member

Welcome to the forum!