New cane (shillelagh).

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by arnisador, Jul 3, 2008.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

As I continue to recover from knee surgery, I need a cane inside for stairs and outside when walking in the woods behind our house. The outside use would make it very muddy, so I ordered a second cane: The Root Knobbed Blackthorn, effectively an Irish shillelagh. It tapers a bit more toward the ground end than I had expected but it has a nice weight and comfortable feel, looks beautiful and unique, and the knob surely seems like it could be practical. My family admired it too! It was expensive, but I am definitely happy with it. It can be used cane-style but I would mostly carry it and use it as needed to help me around or over obstacles, to push away branches and vines, etc.

Attached Files:

2. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

First my I wish you the best recovering from your surgery.
    The Blackthorn is a beautiful looking cane and one that should be sturdy enough to hold up well in the woods.

3. chris arena

chris arena New Member

Your Cane

Funny that you mentioned your cane. Just 2 weeks ago, one of my students presented me with the Ash version of your cane from the same supplier (its in the online catalog). I don't know how to attach images to this message, but it is stunningly beautiful!

I carry a Cold Steel rattan cane in my car as a Dog deterrent. (one of these days I will print an article called: Dog Fu. As I have had numerous encounters with fido in the past

The ash cane is lighter and much quicker than the Cold Steel cane. It is too shiny for stick to stick play but no problem. I plan on only hitting flesh.

By the way, Glen Doyle's video's are my best choice on the Irish stick. However, if you play Kellys "Connecting the Systems" tapes on the long pole. you get the same thing. Sibat is my favorite FMA study. I have spent a lot of time with it from Kelly, even to the point of some privates that I took with him last winter. At present I am working to develop the short staff NSI techniques into the walking cane as an individual private learning experience and some of Glen Doyle's stuff is almost seamless in regard to what I have learned so far.

Chris Arena

4. chris arena

chris arena New Member

One more thing! Sibat video on u tube

At my class this evening, we were playing a little "what if" and we shot a short video that I put up on u tube this evening. (search for... Sibat). This is basically a NSI Sibat technique that I have been experimenting on with the walking stick. There is an error in the form as I missed an important wrist strike. But then, this is how we learn.

The form is: inside block, quick strike to face. Pass the stick 270 degrees counterclockwise with top of cane,circle cane to strike (break the wrist) with the bottom of the cane(this is where I missed the strike). pass again 270 degrees and grab a wrist lock with your live hand and then underarm lock and go into a cane supported figure four and take down and finishing with a thrust or pin to the throat.

Again, this was done this evening, first take and no rehearsal. We go about 1 1/2 to 2 hours on Tues evening and like to put the last 30 or so minutes into the "what if" game.

Hope your knee is better. I had some micro surgery about 7 years ago, I tore some tissue while learning Datu Worden's Sibat Staff form 4. (I still LOVE Sibat Staff and Cane)!

Chris A

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, my knee is doing much better! I use the cane mostly in the woods or on stairs.

It is beautiful. I'm very pleased with my cane!

I'll check out Glen Doyle's stuff in more detail. I do want to be able to use the weapon as intended.

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Several people have stopped me and asked about my shillelagh as I walk in the nature park behind our house. One person said he learned of it from a favorite pro wrestler's use of it!

7. geezer

geezer Member

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but do you feel that the strength might have been compromised by the rather large hole near the knobby end where the strap is threaded through the shaft? If using it for self defense is a consideration, that is. I tried to defend myself with a cane once. After one hard swing, it broke into three pieces and there I was with my leg in a "walking cast", facing a large and now very angry opponent while I was quite literally holding "the short end of the stick." Fortunately for me, a third party intervened or there is no telling where the remaining end of that cane would have ended up.

8. MPC1257

MPC1257 New Member

I don't remember if I posted this somewhere else on the forum, but someone pointer me to this site: http://www.geocities.com/glendoyle/bata/

It's Glen Doyles family style of Rince an Bhata Uisce Bheatha * (Whiskey Stick Dancing)
    An Irish Stick Fighting Style

If I have already posted this then I apologize.

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, that is a concern, though it seems quite sturdy. It's right near the end, though, and if it breaks there I should have a pointy stick rather than a knobby one (I hope).

10. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

Well, since my surgery has not gone as planned. I migyt be using a cane for a few weeks. This is perfect timing for me to stumble across this thread. Thank Arnisador. Carving my own cane will keep me busy for a few hours, kind of a stress reliever.

11. Darrin Cook

Darrin Cook New Member

Stick vs. Club

Arnisador,

Something I had never considered until I saw Glen Doyle's videos is the use of a club, like the shilellagh. Most Filipino stylists just take a stick as a given, but once you consider it, I believe the club has very real advantages over the stick.

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

It certainly takes a bit of adjustment but it also has some advantages! I'm used to the stick so I prefer it but I know what you mean.

13. Darrin Cook

Darrin Cook New Member

Cold Steel Shillelagh

Cold Steel makes a polymer/plastic shillelagh.

While it is nearly indestructible, I find it too heavy. I prefer a weapon that does not taper at the end, which I think makes a butt strike less effective.

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The blackthorn one I have is a very attractive looking weapon with a nice weight but I do worry a bit that it isn't thick enough and might break in use.

I didn't think shillelaghs usually tapered?