New Book; Lameco Eskrima: The Legacy of Edgar Sulite

Discussion in 'Lameco' started by Guro Dave Gould, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Guro Dave Gould

Guro Dave Gould LAMECO ESKRIMA SYSTEM

Hi guys, I just wanted to announce a new book which I wrote and that is now available through Mark V. Wiley and Tambuli Media. It is titled: "Lameco Eskrima: The Legacy of Edgar Sulite". Primarily the book delves deep into the Life of PG Edgar G. Sulite and the Lameco Eskrima system. Additionally, the reader will learn a great deal about the 5 major influences credited with the creation of Lameco Eskrima. Primarily, Sulite Rapelon (GM Helacrio Sulite Sr.), De Campo 1-2-3 Orehenal (GM Jose D. Caballero / Mang Eric Olavides), Pekiti-Tirsia Kali (Tuhon Leo T. Gaje Jr.), Modernos Largos (GM Jesus Abella / GM Pablicito Cabahug) and Kalis Ilustrisimo (GM Antonio "Tatang" Ilustrisimo). These systems and there Grand Masters are heavily delved into to reveal much about their methodologies and training ideology identifying some of the more important lessons which Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite took away from them during his training under their very astute tutelage over a period of numerous years. The book thoroughly recounts the life, the art and the legacy of Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite and his Lameco Eskrima system. Broken down into 10 distinct chapters, 292 pages with over 100 pages of illustrated photographs and numerous Historical photos. As I trained Lameco Eskrima privately under Punong Guro Sulite at his home from 1992 until he passed away in 1997 he would recount numerous stories and events to me which I wrote down in my notes on a daily basis. It is from these notes that much of the book is written. Two forwards were written by Master Jun Pueblos and Master Alex L. Co and the afterward was written by Dr. Mark V. Wiley who also did the editing and shaped the book from what was presented him in written form. The book also has essays written by a few of of my Lameco Eskrima brothers from PG Edgar G. Sulites "backyard" who share their memories and reflections of our teacher, specifically: Hospecio "Bud" Balani Jr., Roger Agbulos, Steve Grody, myself, Dino Flores, Gary Quan and Arnold Noche. Regards, David E. Gould. here is the link to follow for those interested in learning more about the book: http://www.amazon.com/Lameco-Eskrim...qid=1415230995&sr=8-2&keywords=lameco+eskrima

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  2. Aric_Ashgrove

Aric_Ashgrove New Member

That is great news! I have been waiting since I saw it first posted on Tambuli Media's page, which does seem like forever ago. I ordered my copy from Amazon as soon as I saw your post. Thanks! Also a question for you Guro Gould: What is in the works next for you with Lameco Eskrima?

3. Guro Dave Gould

I hope that you enjoy the book. To answer your question, I have a series of books in mind regarding the Lameco Eskrima System in specific that I would love to have released. I am currently writing; "Lameco Eskrima: Building a better fighter", which will delve deeply into the Basic foundation of the Lameco Eskrima System and more importantly how to develop it, giving deep insights into how PG Sulite developed us as fighters in his Private Backyard Class at his home in Los Angeles, California. The book will go into great detail regarding how to build, develop and actualize a functional foundation of combative attributes paying heavy attention to the delivery system in specific. After reading: "Lameco Eskrima: The Legacy of Edgar Sulite" you will have a better idea of what this will entail as the delivery system among numerous other essential components are broached and explained in that book in great detail. I think it will really benefit everyone who would like to refine their fighting ability to be much more efficient. Anyway when you finish reading the book please share your thoughts with me about what you thought of it. Best regards.

4. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I ordered the book and it should be here next week.. will be looking at the book that PG Edgar wrote and I picked it up in the Philippines back in the 90s.. should be an interesting comparison between the time PG Edgar wrote it and the current book..

5. Guro Dave Gould

Hi Bill, I hope that all is well and that you find yourself in good health. I am sure that you will like the new book as it chronicles the life of PG Edgar G. Sulite from the very beginning of his involvement in the Filipino Warrior Arts until his very last days, indicating numerous significant points of reference in-between. As well the book delves heavily into the 5 Major influences and Masters under whom PG Sulite trained revealing many of their methodologies and insights to fighting. As well the Lameco Eskrima System itself is heavily dissected, explaining from PG Sulites perspective sharing numerous insights which he held as being most essential in mastering his system of Lameco. I am glad that you got one of PG Sulites books, just know that there were three and all of them are highly recommended as even today more than 30 years after he wrote the first they are ahead of their time and a must for any serious student of the Filipino Warrior Arts. Enjoy the read and I am looking forward to your thoughts after you have completed the book. Best regards.

6. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Dave,
    Just referenced the first book as it had some of the local Filipino instructors who are on guam but was listed in the first book that PG Edgar wrote.. I picked it up and took it to the instructors who were mentioned in it and they were surprised that their names were still acknowledged.. One of the instructors was a plankowner of aikido being introduced in the Philippines and is known as Ben Gallarpe.. I know him and his sons as they were some of the first guys I met when I got here in the mid 80s.. I used to train some of his guys in sinko tiros when we had time.. I was also at one time a student of another instructor who was named in the book, but have went my own way..

I hope that the book has a good turn out as a lot of the newer generation instructors have a lack of connect to the individuals who we trained with over our time in the FMA as I have lost two instructors in the last 10 yrs and as they get older, the link to the past seems to be disappearing into the sands of time.. I am currently training with Nene Tortal and Dekiti Tirsia and just recently met some of the Kalis Ilustrisimo guys who operate a school in the area where my wife is from.. Research is ongoing and hopefully, I can get the time to write a book on the Pampangan roots of the FMA that I have had since the 70s.

Good luck on the rest of your Lameco projects and hope to meet you one time when I return to the states

7. Aric_Ashgrove

Aric_Ashgrove New Member

I am enjoying your book so far, and hope I come upon a day I can excitedly digest more of it at a time! I do have a question though, in case you might know of a place... Where can anyone get copies of PG Sulite's books? I have contacted Mrs. Sulite, during orders, and I can only get an ambiguous "they will be reprinted soon." Do you know of any other ways or more information on the reprintings? Thank you very much to anyone who may know!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  8. Guro Dave Gould

I am glad that you are enjoying the book and that you are getting something positive out of it. Regarding Punong Guro Sulite`s books they are out of print at the moment. Mrs. Sulite has the rights to reprint or republish when she wants to. I hope that will be soon as even decades after all three were initially published they are still ahead of the game regarding the Filipino Warrior Arts in specific. Especially the last book, "Masters of Arnis, Kali and Eskrima", that one was gold as it revealed many insights of the older Warrior whom are no longer with us any more. Other than waiting for Mrs. Sulite to reprint them your only option is to wait until someone places one of their copies for sale on Amazon or e-bay which is rare as any one with one is not so likely to give it up. I have seen "Secrets of Arnis" sell for as much as $1500 US Dollars and "Masters of Arnis, Kali and Eskrima" sell as high as $2000 US Dollars. Neither of those were autographed which would have driven the value of the book much higher. I received all three books from PG Sulite autographed by him as gifts during my time training with him and would not imagine giving them up. Good luck in your search though they really are great sources of knowledge if you can find them. Best regards.

9. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Finally had a chance to sit down and start reading the book.. All I can say is Hot Dawg, it covers a lot of history and some of the individuals who I have ran across during some of my trips to the Philippines brings it to a higher level.. I have a deep respect for PG Edgar as he was articulate in how he expressed the training in the days when I was in the Philippines at the same time.. Guro Dave, keep up the good work and look forward to more of your links to PG Sulite coming out in the future as I will most definitely be ready for them..
    Mabuhay ang Lameco eskrima

10. Guro Dave Gould

I am glad that you are enjoying the book Bill. It was important for me to chronicle the life of Punong Guro Sulite and the evolution of Lameco Eskrima from its infancy until its peak. One of the things that I really wanted to do in this book was to allow the reader to glimpse who Punong Guro Sulite was in his entirety as a person and not just portray him as solely a Filipino Warrior Arts Master. I asked some of my Lameco "Sulite Orehenal Group" brothers to share their experiences from Punong Guro Sulites "Backyard" so that the reader could have more than just one perspective, that being mine. One of the things that Punong Guro Sulite always said to me as one of his chosen standard bearers of Lameco Eskrima was that for one to have a clear and concise understanding of who he was and what Lameco Eskrima was intended to be that one had to see himself and his system through numerous perspectives. He would say that we as his students all carried something different, individual pieces of who he was and what his system was supposed to be. That we were all like individual pieces of a jigsaw puzzle and the more of us that you place together than the more complete the image of he and Lameco Eskrima would become. As well I felt it important to delve deeply into the 5 major influences which Punong Guro Sulite credited with the creation of the Lameco Eskrima system as that is where he received his knowledge in training for numerous years under those Masters and systems. I am happy with the body of work and I am pleased that it has been so well received. Above all else my intent is to always protect the legacy of Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite and to guard the original vision which he established for his Lameco Eskrima system.

11. Aric_Ashgrove

Aric_Ashgrove New Member

I was able to finish Guro Gould's book just before the holiday, and I just wanted to give more praise here, for the FMAtalk community ( I also gave it high regards on amazon.com)! Great writing style, interesting and well developed retelling of stories, great and useful information not only for FMA practitioners but also teachers of other arts, since the subject delves into the intricacies of the evolution of Lameco Eskrima as well as its progression. Loads of useful information without being a technical manual of arms. Guro Gould's next Lameco book will be an insta-buy for me (not that this one was not already, having purchased, studied and trained the material in his DVDs through Budo International). Don't wait! Go get your copy while you can! Some day this may likely sit next to your 1500 dollar copies of PG Sulite's books!