Need a good fixed blade knife

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by jwinch2, Jul 20, 2014.

1. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I typically carry a Spyderco Manix 2 folder, but for reasons I cannot understand, we have a local ordinance (San Antonio) which prevents the carrying of any folder that has a locking mechanism which effectively turns it into a fixed blade knife. However, we can still carry a fixed blade providing it is within the state requirements, which is under 5.5 inches and not a "Bowie Knife".

So now I am in the position of needing to find a fixed blade that will work for EDC.

If you note in the Manix 2, it has deep choil which I like. Any fixed blade I purchase would need to have the same thing.

[​IMG]

I like the ESEE knives from RAT quite a bit, but the steel they use is prone to rusting unless you take care of it regularly. I am looking for something a bit more low maintenance.

[​IMG]

Finally, I looked at the Waid Covert, from Biegler Bladeworks (the place I will almost certainly buy my Ginunting from at some point down the road), but I would prefer something with a higher quality blade steel than 154 cm. In addition, there are no jimping/serrations where the thumb would ride much of the time which serve to prevent slipping in case (God forbid) I have to actually use it via thrusting.

[​IMG]

Any thoughts here? The Spyderco Manix 2 with a FFG is the perfect EDC folder for me, and I am disappointed that I cannot carry it legally here. I have been told by a local LEO that he has never even heard of one of his colleagues issuing a citation for it, but in the event (again, God forbid) that I have to use it, I don't want it to be something that I was not supposed to be carrying in the first place.

Cheers,

Jason

2. blindside

blindside student

I am going to plug Jeff Crowner knives, he is a custom maker but he has a number of lines set up with different companies. I would put his blade quality against anyone in the business. The Troika doesn't have a choil but it does have a guard. Take a look at his other offerings as well.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

3. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Thanks for that. they look like great knives overall, and the EDC blade is almost exactly like what I am looking for.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  4. jezah81

jezah81 Member

I would recommend you check out fallkniven or bark river knives. Great steel and great options. Fallkniven F1 or Bark river bravo 1 LT maybe be suitable for you.

Cheers

Jeremy

5. silat1

silat1 Active Member

6. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Thanks, both of you. I will take a look at your suggestions.

Best regards,

7. odalisay

odalisay Member

jwinch2,

I will put my vote in for ESEE Knives. You can't go wrong with ESEE. They stand behind there product and have a no questions asked warranty. Here are pics of my ESEE 3 in hand and in kydex sheathe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Have you had any issues with corrosion on your ESEE knife? They state on their website that they need to be kept protected due to not using stainless steel.

Thanks for the input!

9. odalisay

odalisay Member

jwinch2,

No corrosion or rust. I make sure after every use I clean and oil as needed. If it has been used in a wet environment I make sure to wipe down real good and let dry then oil. 1095 carbon is prone to rust and corrosion but is tuff as nails. It is easy to sharpen and will hold an edge for awhile(under normal use without abuse). Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

It does. Thank you.