Navadisha Seminar at Midway Kodenkan in Chicago!

Discussion in 'Seminars & Camps' started by NAGA, Jan 23, 2008.

1. NAGA

NAGA Member

One week away for this historic Seminar!

Hello Everyone,
    Just a reminder we are one week away before this "historic" seminar takes place. If you come you will have a cherished memory, if you do not make it you will be kicking yourself for it! Just for the record and the history books this is the first public seminar for this rare art. The Seminar will be this coming Sunday March 30th 2008. The location will be Midway Kodenkan 5159 S. Archer Ave. Chicago Illinois. For further information please go too www.Midwaykodenkan.com or give the school a call.

Thanks,
    John

2. NAGA

NAGA Member

Sunday It is Here!

Hello Everyone,
    My last and final update! This Sunday, March 30th 2008 ay Midway Kodenkan History will be made. Ok Ok enough Hyperbole, but we will be hosting the first public seminar for this rare and amazing style starting at 10:00 A.M. get there a little early as construction is happening on Archer ave.... For further details read the rest of this thread of visit www.MidwayKodekan.com !

Thanks,
    John

3. pguinto

pguinto New Member

Im sorry i dont thhink i can make it this time as there are only 3 weekends left for income tax season. Had this event been held after April 15th then for sure i wouldve made this landmark event. it would have been fun to meet and get to know people from the other systems.

the next time this seminar is held in chicago, hopefully i will be able to attend

peter

4. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello Peter,
    No problem check out the website for upcoming seminars. Remember we will also be hosting Grand Tuhon Jerson "Nene" Tortal in June.

Thanks,
    John

5. silat1

silat1 Active Member

The Navadisha seminar should be a good exposure to the system as I have seen it a couple of times while training with Steve and Mushtaq in Michigan.. It rocks, it is old school fma as we were taught back in the day out in the provinces. If you can get there for this seminar, go for it and if not, make sure that you get to the weeklong seminar with Grand Tuhon Jerson "Nene" Tortal in June for the best in seminars for the chicago area, oh hell, make it the whole midwest and get over the winter mind freeze..

6. NAGA

NAGA Member

[​IMG]

The seminar was an immense success. Thanks everyone for attending. We all had a great time and learned a great deal.
    Thanks,
    John

7. silat1

silat1 Active Member

That's great news John.. As we talked when I was stateside, Sulong was developed to get the midwest FMA community recognized and get things going to battle the inactivity of the FMA/IMA practitioners out from their mushroom closets and expose them to the networking opportunities offered by this organization..
    Steve , Mushtaq, Buzz, and the rest of the Michigan troupe are great people to be affiliated with as they are willing to take homeless FMA/IMA practitioners out from the frigid wastelands of the midwest and bring them into the warmth of what they teach respectively.. It seems that the Fighting Illini FMA practitioners of the Chicago area along with the fat old bald guy from the island of Gilligan had a good plan for Sulong was first given birth in the last couple of years..

So far since the Sulong organization was conceived, The Chicago DTS group along with some limited participation from the bald guy from Gilligan's island has hosted seminars for major practitioners from such systems of FMA as Grand Tuhon Jerson "Nene" Tortal, Punong Guro Mike Blackgrave from Bahad Zubu, Guro Mushtaq Ali and Guro Steve Van Harn from the Navadishi escrima system which made it's first public showing in Chicago by this event.

In the immediate future, Sulong and the DTS group will be sponsoring the training camps with GrandTuhon Jerson "Nene" Tortal at the locations of Terre Haute Indiana and Chicago.. In October, the annual Sulong tourney will be held at the VFW hall in New Lenox, Illinois..

For more information concerning the events sponsored by the Sulong organization, It will be posted on the FMATalk.com forum and on the DTSkali website and other FMA information outlets.

8. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Congrats John..Job well done...glad to see the Navadisha seminar was such a success. Look forward to getting abck their soon..my best to all..keep it going. Salaam

PG MB
    BZ SATX

9. southsider

southsider New Member

The seminar was a great time. Thank you to Mushtaq, Steve, and Mariah for being so open with sharing this unique system. You gave us all a lot of material to work on and think about. I look forward to the opportunity to work with you again in the future.

Also thanks to John for hosting the shinding.

Marc

10. NAGA

NAGA Member

A lot of fun!

Hello All,
    It really was a watershed moment for Fma in Chicago! Everyone had a great time and I do believe we will be doing this again in the near future. Best of all Mariah gave me a black eye as a sovenier......My very special thanks to Mushtaq and Steve for allowing us at the school to host them and for sharing this very special art with the rest of us!

Thanks and well done,
    John

11. Mushtaq Ali

Mushtaq Ali New Member

I have to say, I had loads of fun. You have a great group of people and it was a pleasure working with them.

BTW Maria's dad told me he saw her carving another notch on her stick yesterday. :coolyello

I am sure that I can speak for Steve, Mariah and Randy when I say that this was the best possible way to kick off the seminar season.

12. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Cool! I am glad everyone had a good time. [​IMG]

13. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

Now I know I sould have been there. I have not EVER witnessed Brother John get hit by anyone before.[​IMG]And I would not dare rub it in................

14. Sabraxas

Sabraxas New Member

Hello all,

Here are some more pictures from Navadisha. Just as a comparison I have posted some Mariano tribe from way back when.

Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Sabraxas,

What gave you the impression that the people in those postcards are "Mariano"?

The ethnic group you've posted are pagan, eat pork and are no where near Mindanao, let alone Lanao.

They're not dressed in tubao's, wearing malong's, there's no torogan, no kriss, kampilan, ect....

The spears are not Maranao, the sheild is not Maranao, for the time period of the photo it would've beem haram for a Maranao male to be exposed from their navel to their knee, and if you read the post card itself it states that the people are "Bontoc Igorot".

Many Bangsamoro would be offended.

16. Mushtaq Ali

Mushtaq Ali New Member

Actually Maranao people looked more like this
    [​IMG]

And this
    [​IMG]

and this as well

[​IMG]

17. NAGA

NAGA Member

Wrong pictures posted.

Hello All,
    Yep wrong identification on pictures.......Though, I think his heart was in the right place.

thanks,
    John

18. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Kamusta...John love that T-shirt brother..lol...did you see similarities between the Navadisha and BaHad ZuBu?.....Once again great job on another seminar..I look forward to my return in the fall.

19. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello PG Michael Blackgrave!

Hello Mike,
    For those of you not in on it I am wearing a Bahad Zubu T-shirt while training Navadisha (Go Figure). The footwork is very similar in it one floats. Nevertheless, I am far from an expert in this art so maybe Mushtaq could elaborate a little more on this subject. Unfortanetly I still "Lutang" Like a Bahad Zubu kalista.....

Thanks,
    John

20. silat1

silat1 Active Member

What's the saying "Lutang" like a butterfly, sting like a Bee. It is nice to see that the midwest eskrimadors are getting the winter rust knocked off by Mariah.. I would love to have seen John get tagged. I can imagine with the Navadisha training, John might have gotten tagged old school style where the stick leaves an impression of the nodes in the middle of his head. Now that is old school.

:sword2::lsabre: