Navadisha Seminar at Midway Kodenkan in Chicago!

Discussion in 'Seminars & Camps' started by NAGA, Jan 23, 2008.

1. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello All,
    Midway Kodenkan will be hosting Guro Steve Van Harn and Senoir Guro Mushtaq Ali al Ansari for a very rare one day seminar on Southern Filipino Martial Arts. This will be the first ever public introduction of Navadisha Asika Naipunya, a classical form of battlefield Kali that has remained unchanged since the 1930'S. Guro Steve is only the 3rd person in the United States to train in this unique style. Its primary weapon in the Moro Kris and it has footwork and concepts not often seen in other styles. The art also covers empty hand, knife as well as sword and shield/scabbard.

The Seminar will be held Sunday March 30, 2008 at Midway Kodenkan 5159 S. Archer Ave. Chicago, Il. 60632. The hours will be from 10:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. and the cost will be $40. For further information you can call Midway Kodenkan @ (773) 284-8818 or visit WWW.Midwaykodenkan.com .

Thanks,
    John

2. silat1

silat1 Active Member

What a great way to get over winter cabin fever.. Steve and Mushtaq are serious practitioners of the southeast asian and filipino martial arts.. If you are suffering from the dreaded midwest brain freeze, what better way to get thawed out both mentally and physically than by going and learning from two of the three people in Chicago and the midwest I call friends..

3. pguinto

pguinto New Member

who are your other friends? im assuming nate defensor is one of them...
    one of my closest friends just started with nate last week.

if i can get my friends to go, i might be able to do this one.

I didnt do the northshore one as i dint get a reply to my inquiry....

4. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I lived in Chicago for two years after being away for more than 30.. I never met Nate Defensor because I had found Dekiti Tirsia in the area.. I also met the guys at the Libertyville schools, but didn't spend much time with them even though they were 10 minutes from the house..

Mushtaq and Steve V invited me to their gathering of the tribes in September 05 right after I moved to Chicago.. The gathering was in Grand Rapids and I was wanting to see what was out there before I started testing the waters with the other FMA instructors due to some comments made about my military back ground by one of the other instructors in Chicago when he invited me to his seminar.

John Bednarski aka Sulong on this forum invited me to train at his school because we shared a common background with training philosophies. John teaches Dekiti Tirsia, Penchak silat and works with a couple of other systems that I won't go into in this thread..

The majority of FMA instructors I met in the chicago land area showed me an arrogant attitude when I asked them what they taught and who they trained with or they wouldn't even give me the time of day when asked simple questions.. But that is water under the bridge.

Even when I took part as a guest instructor for a knife seminar that was given by another acquaintance in chicago, we had one instructor who showed up and thought he was hot stuff, needless to say, his attitude was changed rather quickly when we started sparring with training knives.

But that is another thread. All I can say is the Sulong association and John Bednarski who is sponsoring this seminar is trying to create a hub of FMA events in the midwest because there isn't any real coordination between the instructors of the area..

Sulong means pushing forward, so if you are really interested in networking with the other FMA people in the midwest and who are part of this organization, support this seminar by coming and learning some of the things that Mushtaq and Steve offer..

I did and I haven't looked back since as the materiel that I was taught by Mushtaq, John and Steve V are major tools in my tool box of survival.

5. pguinto

pguinto New Member

$40 is pretty cheap, the only drawback is that i may not be able to get my friends to go or that they might be tied up (i'll have talk their wives about that). I really would rather not go by me lonesome....

If one does go, does one need to bring gear or just a sando and chinelas?

6. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I highly recommend attending this seminar. Guru's Mushtaq and Steve are world class and down right good folks. Take the time, open your heart and mind and you will have a great time. salaam

7. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Just sticks are all that is necessary. If you have a long (kris size) wooden practice sword that you favor, you can bring it for the solo work.
    I would welcome you to come alone. I try to make all my classes relaxed and very fun. No worries being alone. Come make some new friends.

8. rogerclf1

rogerclf1 New Member

Hey Sulong. I am going to PM you about training.

9. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Sure thing!

10. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Take my advice, go to this training and learn from some of the best guys I consider my friends and high caliber instructors..

11. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

Hey pguinto!

I only knew three people the first time I went up there and they were so busy taking care of business that I didn't see much of them for the first couple of hours. But they did introduce me Guro Steve, Guro Mushtaq and Bill Bednarick as soon as I walked in and they treated me like family right off the bat. I guarantee you will be treated the same. They are a great group of people. And I will even buy you lunch!

See ya there!

God Bless and Sulong! Mike

12. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Dang,
    I guess I will have to miss this seminar as I am enrolled in college as well as working full time and teaching privately.. Oh well, there is the summer gathering and mosquito fighting in Indiana in June with GM Tortal and Mike Snow. I am most definitely going to try and make it, but it depends on the job as we have a big military transfer coming up and that might put the ringer in the wash cycle as far as plans.

:kicknuts:

13. pguinto

pguinto New Member

Well, at least one of my friends is interested. However, the only issue now is whether or not i should (or even can) take the day off from work. It might be tuff considering this is the busiest time of year for me; accounting firm + income tax season = extremely busy weekends.

Anyway, my buddy was really interested so he may still go even if i may not be able to.

14. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Well, the more the merrier. We're doing this seminar with John as he's just plain very interested in the style. As the announcement says, the style is unchanged since the '30s and is really quite a time capsule. The movements are not often seen but after you play with them, you start to see some of it in other styles. But this one builds them all together and the movements interrelate to form a formidible style of attack and defense.

15. NAGA

NAGA Member

One Month Away!

Hello Everyone,
    The First ever public seminar for the art of Navadisha is one month away! It will be at Midway Kodenkan 5159 S. Archer Ave. in Chicago, on Sunday March 30th.... Do not mis the chance to train in this rare art!

Thanks,
    John

16. R. Mike Snow

All this talk about another method of "Old Scholl Footwork" has me all excited. I can't wait to check it out. I even went to Menard's today to scan on just the right wood to rig up a home made replica of a Maranao shield.[​IMG]I heard a rumor Brother John was going to demonstrate a few of the traditional dances that teach combative footwork too. Now who in their right mid could possible pass up that opportunity??????????

See ya'll there...........

17. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Remember the fat old bald guy from the island of gilligan that brought all you guys together and send me a video of this seminar if you wouldn't mind.. I am lost out here in the sunny south pacific and suffering from exposure to the 85 degree weather is burning my arms with the tan..

18. NAGA

NAGA Member

No Worries!

Hello Bill,
    That would really be up to Steve, and Mushtaq if I can video tape the seminar Bill... Nevertheless, I think everyone can benefit from traing with Steve and Mushtaq!
    Thanks,
    John

19. R. Mike Snow

Since I feel so bad for you Bill, suffering away in that tropical paradise and being forced to go on patrols with a M-16 in one hand and a pina colada in the other. I will make sure you get video of us doing footwork paterns just to stay warm, while paying close attention to Pendakar Mushtaq's Nanadisha lessons. We will surely keep you in mind......
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I am not authorized to carry a M16 due to the local law against hunting iwth rifles, so I carry a 12 gauge pump with slugs to keep the intruders from from crashing the fences on their way back from the beaches.. Recently we have been having trouble with the jet powered birds falling out of the sky and landing on parts of our airbase here.. It reminds me of the time when there was open season on the BUFFS that flew wild and in great flocks until some one shot one down with a 30/30 and punctured one of the hydraulic arteries.. The bird landed ok, but it was a hairy ride for the passengers who guided it back, landing a piece of flying machinery with no brakes on a runway who's far end drops off for 400 feet and then off into a 400 ft deep part of the ocean is enought to make any person's sphincter pucker.. The pilots made it back ok and were glad to retire that Buff to the duty of standing vigil on one of the national park services monuments here on base....

enjoy the seminar