My real life experience with DTS

Discussion in 'Dekiti Tirsia Siradas' started by Sabraxas, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Sabraxas

Sabraxas New Member

Hello all,

I figured I'd make some sort of introduction of myself since I have been on this forum for a little while. I am a new practitioner to DTS. I've had some other martial arts training but nothing significant or in-depth. I've only been studying DTS for about 6 months now and I had thought that it would be a fun martial art to learn until I realized this style is not just meant for fun, but to save your life.

I realized this after some contemplation about my experience of being attacked and almost mugged about a month ago.

I was walking to my car after getting off the train to get home after work. It was dark out and realized I was walking in the wrong direction to my car, so I decided to get through an alley. As I was walking, I noticed that three guys appeared behind me literally out of nowhere. I continued walking and realized that they were spread out and I did not like the feeling at all. I then got a hold of my knife that Guro John gave to me as a present for Christmas and held it in my hand with my hands in my jacket pocket. All of a sudden, I hear someone running and I turn around and one of the thugs pushed me in a sorry attempt to tackle me. At this point I pulled out my knife and held it close to my hip. I did not want to show any sign of aggression to give them reason to try anything else. All they kept saying was, "Give me your ****ing money," "Represent *****," "What the **** you doin' here?!" At this time, I continued to walk backyard and repeated that I was just trying to get home and that I did not want any trouble.

After a few seconds, I realized that they were not going to back down, so I adjusted the knife in my hand and pointed the tip at them while still having it close to my hip. One of them noticed and asked, "What are you going to do, shank me with that?" I just said no and that I was just trying to get home. It was then that they started to back off a little and one of them said to forget it and he told me not to be so scared next time and then walked away. I continued to walk backyard to make sure they were not following me and then went straight to my car.

After much contemplation of that situation, I realized that if I did not have the knife nor the confidence to hold it and possibly use it, I might not have been so lucky. I was confident because I had already become somewhat familiar with the knife through the small time I had training with Guro John Bednarski.

It was after that situation that I had come to understand the reality and seriousness of my training with DTS. I plan to continue my training as well, so get to know my name. I'll be around for quite sometime, thankfully. :)

2. dekiti

dekiti DTS Guro

Knife Mugger

Glad to hear your story. Sheila Mae, GM Nene's youngest daughter had a similar experience. She was opening her car when she was mug with knife. Quickly reacting, she disarm the surprised mugger. Her training with father save her life.

3. pguinto

pguinto New Member

hey brother,

what area did this happen? u can be specific, ive been a chicagoan since i was 2.

bravo on diffusing the situation by speaking with non-confrontational words. while exposing the knife, u got lucky they were just punks who masked their intentions of doing harm by initiating a mugging. personally, i would not have exposed the knife, so that if they really meant to do me harm, i at least have the element of surprise and give a few hits to try to create an opening to run away. also, its entirely possible that they could've sent someone around to hit u from behind or pulled out guns if they were hardcore bangers. again, lucky for you they were just punks and not the gun-toting type.

btw i think u meant to write "backward" and not "backyard".

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  4. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

Hi Bernard,

Don't let anyone tell you that you respoded to your situating in a poor manner. No one can honestly say, " I would have done this or that. " It sounds like you did great, you didn't get beaten half to death and you din't stab anyone. How much better of an outcome could there possibly be? You probably showed them that since you were scared enough to show your blade, you were damn sure scared enough to use it.

Another six month of training and it surely would have become a reflex to stab your aggressor. I know that is your instructor's instinctive response.

You did a great job, don't let anyone else try to persuade you to think otherwise.

Mike

5. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Here, Here all I can say is good job. It is always better to walk away from a situation if possible. But if possible and the situation dictates that offensive actions must be taken, stand your ground and get ready to rumble.. Most of the time, these attacks are just a way to try and intimidate you, but if you show confidence in your appearance and demeanor, the aggressor will back down 90% of the time.

I have had a similar situation right after I moved to Guam.. We were riding around getting familiar with the island when we had a pickup with a bunch of guys yelling and trying to put their bumper on my car's rear bumper.. This continued for almost 15 minutes, whenever I tried to get a way from them, they would follow me.. I pulled into a parking lot to see if I could get away from the instigators, but they followed me into the parking lot and jumped out of the back of the truck and approached my car. I told the wife to lock the car doors and stay put.. I got out of the car and while getting out, I pulled one of my pocket knives out and opened it.. Hiding it by my pants leg so it wasn't visible, I turned and faced the troublemakers.. I told them that they had better think twice about pursuing the situation.. at this time I turned my arm away from my pants leg and showed the knife.. This stopped the attackers in their tracks and they retreated back to their truck, yelling and cussing back to their truck.

A little confidence and a knife can make the difference

6. pguinto

pguinto New Member

hey man, i never said he did anything poorly, reread my post.

i was just saying that i would not have exposed my knife, so that i have an extra element of surprise. i have been accosted on several occassions, and each time, i kept my weapon hidden until the last possible moment.

2 related events come to mind immediately:
    back in college a guy pulled a knife on me in the dorms for the simple reason that he believed his girlfriend was interested in me. little did he know that i had a balisong in my back pocket and snapped it out instantly. his demeanor switched from overconfidence, to a look of fear. then he booked

years later that same guy along with 6 other gangbangers (including a couple burmese fellas, a few chinese dragons, and an italian wiseguy) jumped my brother and me outside a nightclub. my brother immediately started beating the tar out of their biggest, baddest dude, even while another one of them jumped on his back, it was left to me to fend off 5 dudes who were advancing until i pulled out a beer bottle from my inner pocket. and then they turned into wussies. 5 on 1 and they were the ones keeping their distance until a squad car came by and broke it up....

i believe that if u expose your weapon early, they will adjust their plan of attack. having that element of surprise confused them enough that they backed off instantly, giving me the advantage....

on another occassion i went to a suburban party that a "love" interest invited me to. while was i there, her ex-boyfriend managed to get like 15-20 guys to tell me to leave. once i was outside, they started advancing towards me, i put my hand in my jacket to pretend i had a gun, which they believed i would bc i was a city flip. in my younger days in chicago, the suburban flips would try to war with the city flips. i never even had a gun, or anything. but the situation dffused itself because they perceived that i had a dangerous weapon. they gave the possibility enough respect and me a wide berth which allowed me to walk away, not run, walk away.

so yeah, i can honestly say, "i woulda done this and done that" because ive been there before on more than a few occassions. im not saying im right, im just relating my experiences from similar encounters and what i did and what i still do when i think there might be trouble.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  7. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

You did good! As I have gotten older I have found that all events in my life and the close calls, have made me the person that I am today. You did what you had to do to survive, period. Next time you will find that you will be looking for them, long before they see you.

I would have pulled my knife if I was scared, too! AND, I would have had the fingers of my other hand wrapped around the butt of the gun in my waist band. Fact of life. I am licanced to carry and I do.

I am a man of God, and I TRY to live by His the law (we all fall short). I will turn one cheek. I will help people when I can. I will protect myself, my loved ones, my friends and the helpless. I will not pull any weapon unless I have the strength to use it, and I better be right. We all must answer to the law of the land. I certenly do not want to go to jail over a situation that could have been avoided.

God Bless,
    Stephen

8. Sabraxas

Sabraxas New Member

Thank you everyone for your feedback and support. I truly appreciate it. To answer your question pguinto; this was around the 35/archer train station in the southside. Also, I would like to mention that my knife was hidden until one of them charged at me. It was at this point that I thought I was going to have to rumble so I brought out my knife. That was not the case and I am very lucky for that. Also, yes, I meant backward. I type too fast for my own good sometimes. lol.

I'm very grateful for everyone sharing their own stories as well. It's comforting in an odd way.

9. pguinto

pguinto New Member

yep, the train stations are always scary, bro
    not one of the best neighborhoods either, so id probly be carrying a knife too if i had to be in that area frequently

10. Mas Judt

Mas Judt New Member

I know the neighborhood.

Years ago the neighborhood was fine, peaceful, full of honest hardworking folks. It has since filled up with gangbanging trash, with regular shootings, arson, drug dealing and prostitution.

The new folks living there have no self respect.

11. R. Mike Snow

Wow,

You guys make me feel very greatful that I no longer live up there. I also live in an extremely violent are, but we don't have the urbanization, gabling, gangs and prostitution to put up with. Ours are bikers and rednecks....meth instead of crack. I am not going to bother to post any of mine, there are far too many. I think I am a magnet for altercations like "pguinto" seems to be too......... Unfortunately I remember living up there in the early 70's and my father moved us out because the South Chicagoland area was nothing short of a war zone at that time.

Again, you did great................. God Bless, Mike

12. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

The BadLands are everywhere!

13. dekiti

dekiti DTS Guro

What are...

Excuse my ignorance but what are rednecks?

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Poor and uneducated people from rural areas, especially in the Appalachians and the Southern states. It's a disparaging term (somewhat similar to "hillbilly") though it's often meant in good humor.

15. dekiti

dekiti DTS Guro

Rednecks means Promdi?

Sort of like "Promdi" here in the Philippines. Promdi mean From The Province.

16. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I'm a redneck and damn proud of it.. My parents are from arkansas and I spent a few years in arkansas and alabama while growing up... I picked my share of cotton, hauled hay, cut timber, hauled livestock and feed in my youth..

Because, white socks, red necks and blue ribbon beer are what made america great

:Eyecrazy::party::party::party:

17. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

No no no, you've got it backwards...

its RED SOX... ;)

18. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I for one am glad that you are okay and came through that situation. (that is what really counts) [​IMG]

19. pguinto

pguinto New Member

Bill, think of it this way...

When i was in high school, i had a group of Italian guys i would party with.
    When the Italian jokes started to roll around, there were always a few guys who would say, "I may be a deigo, but i aint no greaseball..."

In your case, maybe u could say, "I may be a redneck, but i aint no klansman..."

20. R. Mike Snow

Hey Guys,

The context I was using "redneck" as has nothing to do with geographical or income level classification.

I am talking about the @$$holes that buz past your neice and nepew at 70 miles an hour in their 4-wheel drives, while they are riding their bicycles. You know the same ones that probably should have bought mufflers instead of beer. The same beer they decided to throw on someone that is riding a Trek 30 miles a days to prepare for a tournament. The same people that swerve at you and scream, "get the hell of the road" when you are already breaking the speed limit on your Trek. Boy, their tune sure changes when the signal light turns red and you catch 3 minutes later. The same people that spit chewing tobacco on the grocery store floor and laugh about it.

My uncle, that saved my life by giving me a kdiney was born in Bluefield, West Virginia, the very southern tip of WV. A true Apalacian American. Had not ever been to the doctor before stepping up the the plate to becoming a live donor. Most tallented with his hands and knows no strangers, an extremely hard worker but easy going guy. But I remember when a half-dozen bikers where yelling obscenities at my aunt down at Willow Slews while we were fishing when I was just a kid. I never knew grown men would cry for their mommies like those guys did. You'd think they pissed off Crocodile Dunde.

Literally everyone moved off the mountain, the entire family and relocated to Crete, IL. To go to work at Calumet Steel in Chicago Heights. Then sent money home to their elders to keep the land and homes up. My uncles grandmother has not ever been off of their mountain, she had no desire to. She got married and started having children at the age of twleve. Sounds like ancient times doesn't it?

Needless to say, I have the utmost respect for them, how could I not, master hunters, woodworker, agriculturists, musicians, artsist. They still have a culture, unlike us. Ours has seemed to become television, commerciailism and materialish. Sorry, but I don't call people like those rednecks......... And people like Bill, I call "Good Ole Boys"...........

Guess everyone has their own version of what a redneck is......... Or maybe those people I am speaking negatively of are just wannabees....

God Bless, Mike