MT: Your favorite Ernesto Presas book

Discussion in 'Kombatan' started by timagua, Dec 9, 2008.

1. timagua

timagua New Member

[FONT=&quot]GGM Ernesto Presas is without a doubt one of the most-published Filipino martial arts teachers. Followers of his older method of Modern Arnis, later called Presas Arnis and ultimately Kombatan, have a wealth of written information at their disposal. Some of the books are collector’s items and as such may be hard to find, but definitely worth the effort if you can get your hands on them. Ryukyu Books out of Kansas has in the past carried many of GGM’s books. The titles, all written by GGM Presas but the last, include:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Art of Arnis. [/FONT][FONT=&quot] Manila, 1981. Published by Ernesto A. Presas & Associates and the Arjuken Karate Association, this rare book features a unique glimpse into GGM’s art as it was taught in the 1970s and ‘80s. It includes photographs of a younger GGM with some of the earliest Arjuken pioneers: Roberto Presas, Pepe Yap, Willie Madla, Rey Yatsu, Jose G. Paman and Jackson Cui Brocka.

Arnis Presas Style and Balisong. Manila, 1988. An elaboration of the prior book, this volume illustrates many techniques from the three main categories of stickfighting: solo baston, doble baston and espada y daga. The anyo, forms, of Kombatan are described in great detail, as are numerous fighting applications of the techniques. Empty-hand defenses against weapons are presented at length. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Filipino Armas de Mano Presas Style[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Manila, 1996. This book presents information on the previously lesser-known technical categories of GGM Presas’ art such as the dulo dulo, bangkaw and kris. Translations from weapon to weapon are highly evident in this volume.

Filipino Modern Mano-Mano. Manila, 1996. This manual reveals in detail the art’s empty-hand strikes and kicks. Of equal importance to Kombatan’s armed techniques, mano mano techniques provide the self-protection skills in the event that the practitioner is forced to engage in combat without his stick or blade.

Filipino Police Combative Technique. Manila, 1996. Arnis techniques remain strong in the combative curriculum of police and military units in the Philippines and elsewhere. This book presents restraining and releasing methods, as well as the more serious and deadly aspects of armed conflict.

Filipino Knife Fighting Presas Style. Manila, 1998. The essence of Kombatan knife fighting is taught in this manual. Grips, blocks, cuts, thrusts and combinations are fully described, as are many practical applications.

Dumog Presas Style. Manila, 2002. Dumog (alternately called buno) is the grappling component of Kombatan allowing one to effectively deal with an attacker at extremely close quarters. Throws, takedowns, locks and groundfighting techniques and applications are presented.

Arnis Self-Defense: Stick, Blade, and Empty-Hand Combat Techniques of the Philippines. Jose G. Paman. New York City: Random House, 2007. Recently elevated to lakan walo by IPMAF Headquarters, Jose G. Paman is an original Arjuken instructor graduate who earned his black belt under GGM Presas at the old Quiapo gym. This landmark volume, authorized and endorsed by GGM, provides a sober account of FMA history and development, and demonstrates the theories, fundamentals and applications of Kombatan techniques.

With this veritable treasure trove of resources, which is your favorite book on GGM Ernesto Presas’ art? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

2. maliksi77

maliksi77 New Member

Hi Everyone,

Just joining in. I am a transplant from Quezon City, Greater Manila in the PI. I had the opportunity to train with some Arjuken boys in the 1970s and '80s and actually remember seeing Joey Paman around back then - didn't know he was the same guy who would become a writer.

Anyway, I think all of GM Presas's books are very good for the information they contain, each one about a different section of his art. The one that stands out, I think, is the book Arnis Presas Style and Balisong because it has loads of combat applications and two-man drills. It also shows the solo baston and espada y daga anyos that you would not find anywhere else, plus many pics of the old-timers.

Maraming salamat po at kumusta sa lahat ng mga kabayan.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Good to see you here, maliksi77! Please introduce yourself in the Meet and Greet forum!

Unfortunately I've only ever seen a couple of these books.

4. maliksi77

maliksi77 New Member

Yes, thank you, arnisador. I just finished doing this. Sorry, I am new at this and didn't know the protocol.

It doesn't look like too many people are aware of GM Ernesto Presas's books. They are regularly sold back home. I guess they could be better advertised and distributed in the U.S. and elsewhere.

5. citom

citom New Member

I used to see GM Ernesto Presas' books all the time in the branches of National Bookstore in Metro Manila (my favorite branch was on Quezon Avenue corner Scout Borromeo). I have a copy of Arnis: Presas Style and Balisong, and I gave copies of Filipino Armas de Mano and Filipino Mano Mano to a friend of mine in the UK.

6. johnzag

johnzag Junior Member

I have nearly every one of the titles above in my collection but I bought them directly from GGM in the Philippines. The main one Arnis: Presas Style and Balisong has actually been reprinted a few times.. I have a copy of the second printing personally signed by GGM and have only seen an original copy once.
    Its a shame that these books are not more accesible as they are some of the best on Arnis that I have seen.