MT: What style of FMA do you study?

Discussion in 'General' started by balita, Aug 20, 2009.

1. balita

balita <B>News Bot</B>

What style of FMA do you study?
    By MattB - 08-20-2009 06:02 PM

====================

Not much else is going on here, so what styles of FMA do you guys study?

I picked up some basic FMA as a kid from family members, and later through my martial arts trianing in Wing Chun & JKD/ Insonto FMA.

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

2. Raw_Prime

Raw_Prime New Member

Studying Latosa Concepts under Guro Edgar Rotger.....

3. billc

billc New Member

I am currently training in Dekiti Tirsia Sirada Kali, with John Bednarski in chicago. So far it has been great. I have only been training in DTS since June but it is endlessly fascinating to me. I have dabbled in Modern arnis, with Roland Roemer and Dan Pauly, I have practised with Nate Defensor in Pekiti Tirsia and serrada, and I was introduced to Lameco escrima at the Degerberg academy. I have to say that Punong Guru Edgar Sulite was a great man and a great teacher. The arts lost a great fencer when he passed away. With this background I have to say that DTS is really great. I had never really percieved a real difference between stick arts and blade arts until now. I had always thought they could be interchanged, which in a way they can, but the blade as taught in Dts really highlights the differences between the two. Please, before anyone jumps on this as offending other arts, I am not offending the other arts. I love all of these stick, sword and knife fighting arts. In fact, I find it hard to believe that other martial artists don't flock to the FMA's for the weapons knowledge they provide. I have studied other martial arts and it just seems to me that most other arts do not quite know how to teach fighting with weapons. I think the Japanese arts may come closest to this but the others seem to have lost this aspect of their training. Sure, swinging any hard object with force into muscle and bone will hurt or kill someone. But the art of doing this is what seems to have been lost. Most of the non-FMA arts seem absorbed with individual kata. That is just my thought on that subject.

4. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

I train with a bunch of guys at the park...

5. Raul

Raul Mananandata

Filipino Ilustrisimo Escrima at the park.

6. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Started off about 18 months ago in Modern Arnis with some Sayoc Kali thrown in the mix with an instructor under Datu Hartman's organization. My Arnis instructor stopped teaching so I recently (2 months ago) made a switch to Inosanto-Lacoste Kali with Pat Tray who is a full instructor under Guro Dan Inosanto. I am really enjoying the I-L Kali and am consistently fired up about training and learning more about FMA in general and my current style specifically.

7. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

Kali Arnis de Mano - Guro Regie Aviles and Paclibar Bicol Arnis System - Punong Guro Rogelio Paclibar.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

Doce Pares Eskrima (Cacoy Style) with the Patalinghug family

Inosanto Kali with Guro Pat Finley

Modern Arnis with Guro Roman Picardo

9. sjansen

sjansen New Member

Progressive Kali Silat is what I study under Mike Tabor. It is a blend of many systems.

10. lameco_alex

lameco_alex New Member

Hi guys

i´m training lameco eskrima orehenal under guro dave gould and doce pares eskrima under gm cacoy cañete y gm richard bustillo

11. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

Dog Brothers Martial Arts under DBMA Elder Mike "Dogzilla" Tibbits... With a few of the other guys in the group who contribute their own experiences into the mix including Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu...

It is a very well-rounded bunch if I say so myself...

12. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Study Sinko Tiros and Balintawak eskrima under GM Rafael Reston.. Modern Arnis (Kombatan) under Edward Velasquez (Mabalacat Pampanga). Kalintaw under Galo Lalic (Malabanas Pampanga) Comjuka (baraw defensa aka knife defense) under Oscar Muriel and Rafael Reston (Angeles city Pampanga) Maharlika Kuntaw Kungfu (old system) under Conrado Turla (Dau Pampanga), Dekiti Tirsia Siradas under GM Jerson "Nene" Tortal and Guro John Bednarski.

13. Bahad Zu'bu ("The threat of stick and knife") with GM Yuli Romo.

14. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Started off GM Bob Breen where we had a major influence of Latosa Escrima via people such as GM Brian Jones, GM Bill Newman and Master Jay Dobrin at that thim we where moving over to the Inosanto / Lacoste Blend. At Bob's Academy where I became one of the small select group of FMA practioners we where also introduced to Pekiti Tirsia with Tuhon Bill McGrath (Bob had been training in Pekiti Tirsia from the mid 80's), Inayan Serrada Eskrima with Suro Mike Inay, Doce Pares with GM Dionisio Canete (whom I still train with to this day).

I also study San Miguel Eskrima with GM Kano Canete, and had the unique oppertunity to train with the late Great GM Momoy Canete. I have also studied Lapunti Arnis De Abanico under GM Ondo Caburnay and various Masters in Balintawak including GM Borin Heyrosa and GM Nick Elizar.

I done a little Modern Arnis with GM Remy Presas too and over the years have had the luck and oppertunity to meet, expeariance and/or train a little with some other greats such as GM Tatang Ilustrisimo, GM Benhamin Luna Lima, GM Jose Mena and many more besides.

One person who had a great influence on me even though I have never trained with him, is the late great GM Roland Dantes, we became freinds in the mid 90's and his appraoch and devotion to the FMA as a whole has had one hell of a major influence on me and my family.

I have been lucky in that I have had the oppertunity to meet, exchange ideas and train with (even if only for a short time) a lot of great Masters of the FMA and this has had a great influence on how I teach and share my knowledge with others.

Bestr regards

Pat

15. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Pat,
    I had the opportunity to meet GM Dantes at an event that was held at Clark Airbase in Pampanga when I was stationed there.. The event was the full contact martial arts show that he guest hosted on.. We were having out annual Fil/Am friendship tourney in 1980 when we met.. He was a very cordial individual and had a personna that was hard to believe due to his status as a Filipino action star.. His stick work was phenomenal

He is surely missed..

Bill

16. wes tasker

wes tasker New Member

My first 'formal' training in the FMA was under Guro Bruce Juchnik in four different systems:

Serrada Eskrima
    De Kadena Arnis
    Largo Mano Eskrima
    Numerado Arnis

Then I was lucky enough to train under Tuhon Roberto Torres who taught Kalasag Kuntao Silat which had some elements of different FMA systems including Pananandata, Ilustrisimo, and Uno Dos Tres De Campo Orehenal.

I've had some exposure to San Miguel Eskrima under Steve Lamade, a full instructor under Tom Bisio.

But for the last almost 10 years I've found my home in Pekiti Tirsia as a student of Tuhon Bill McGrath...

-wes tasker

17. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I started ball room dancing in 1979...I found it to be the best excercise there was..err, wait..different hobby...

FMA?..hmm..not sure..I just swing a stick every once in awhile.

18. NJMMADude

NJMMADude New Member

Amara Arkanis and Atienza Kali.

I have also been exposed to some Inosanto Kali and a bit of the Senkotiros system.

19. kali-rand

kali-rand New Member

rand here... Lontayao martial arts Organization in Hawaii, Ewa Beach KALI class.

Aloha, rand.