MT: What exactly is Modern Arnis?

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by balita, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Mr Lazo,

I had plans on attending a seminar here in Michigan to stop by and say hi and pay my respects to Dr. Remy P Presas. But, I will have to discuss this with the rest of the club now and see what they feel. If it will seem that I am now under the Good Dr. then I may not wish to attend.

You see, I have met him and talked to him and like him as a person, but I prefer to no be in a large organization.

I was told many things by GM Remy A Presas. My Senior in the art SM James Power was told many things as well. He choose to just teach what he had learned, and not worry about who was number one.

But with your comments about being Filipino and only the Family can lead, when I know multiple people the Late Remy Presas had told were his protoge to take over. I once again feel like an outsider. I feel that if one is not Filipino then they should not teach or practice a Filipino Martial Art. While I know many Filipino's and Filipina's that have no idea what the arts are about. But those of us who are interested, and trying to do the right thing and give credit, are told they are wrong.

Again, I am wrong. I hear it all day at work. I hear it all the time in the arts. Mostly from people who do not want to believe that a non Filipino could know anything about a Filipino Art.

Jeff Delaney stated I had no rank as I never tested in front him. I had rank from the Late Remy Presas before he even began to train. But, in the end I was not hungry for rank or titles, I was more worried about what worked. Now for those who wanted to make it their career then titles and Rank were and are very Important. So, since your speaking for Dr. Remy Presas, should I consider my rank null and void again or by another person/group?

I am not sure, what to believe. Maybe I will just call him and find out what he thinks on this subject. It might be the best idea in the end.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  2. James Miller

James Miller Member Supporting Member

Too Late!

3. Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson Member

My goodness! And people wonder why I petitioned Prof. Presas back in 1997 to form my own sub-system of Modern Arnis, MA-80? And got permission, by the way. I do acknowledge this young man for his loyalty and fervor. We all should have students like him in our schools.

Yours,
    Dan Anderson

PS - Did he ever say or will he ever say who acknowledged Dr. Remy as the leader of MA?

4. Alakd'an

Alakd'an New Member

2 cents

Just wanted to say something about this thread.
    There a lot of people who have been through the "ringer" on all this Modern Arnis fallout since the passing of the Professor. Some feelings have been hurt or some have taken personal offense to things that have been said.
    I am not sure who this "student" is, but I thought that forums were a place to have debates or conversations or whatever.
    Some people are not aware of the past accusations that have been thrown around. Or aware of the Political fall out from 6 years ago. (or currently)
    I personally apologize to Rich Parsons or anyone else who may have been offended by what someone who claims to be a student of Dr. Presas. I am sure he is speaking from his heart and may not be sensitive to what has happended here in the "states" since the passing of the Professor.
    I am hosting Dr. Presas August and would like to invite anyone who would like to meet and speak directly to Dr. Presas.
    I know that several Instructors over the last few years have attended these seminars with me, including Rich. The times I have hosted Dr. Presas has been informative and fun. I strongly encourage anyone that may have a question for Dr. Presas about this subject or his students to ask him.
    One thing is that those who were close to the Professor in PI felt abandoned and lost when he left. They carried on the best they could some leaving Modern Arnis to study other systems. Still, the family kept training and working without their Father there to guide them. They are still finding their way here in the States by teaching and carrying on the legacy.
    We need to be aware of what they may seem to experience as apposed to what we had with the Professor.
    Likewise, the family is learning to see what those of us who trained with their Father have experienced and what we felt when the Professor passed.
    There are open wounds still after all these years on both sides. Some have been our own fault and some the fault of others.
    I cannot and will not speak for the Presas Family. They can do very well by themselves. Again, I encourage anyone to talk to them. You can reach Dr. Presas at his website. www.modernarnis.com.
    These are just my thoughts, if you want to talk to me about anything please contact me bharrison@tdsfma.com I will do my best to answer your questions personally.
    I am hosting this upcoming seminar to allow people to meet Remy jr. and train and have fun. If you feel that you cannot for something someone says, I am sorry. I have always maintained a open line of communication to everyone who teaches or trains in Modern Arnis.
    We have a small club that fluctuates from 8 to 15 students. I have chosen to host Remy Jr. because of wanting to learn more about the development of Modern Arnis in PI. Believe me, it is very hard to get people to come out just because of all the infighting and politcal wranglings going on. Somehow, you are not being loyal to your organization if you come see Dr. Presas.
    I will guarantee that I will not "brainwash" or "Make" anyone join anything. Just come out and see for yourself if what he is teaching adds to what you are already getting or not. I will also work with anyone having financial issues or will work with groups for special discounts. Just let me know.
    Well, I hope I have not offended anyone or made this situation worse. That was not my intent.
    I do believe that forums should be a little less sensitive and be about discussions and debates. Even if someone is "wrong " or disagrees with you or me. Sometimes people may say something a little goofy or unaware of the bigger picture. Lets agree to disagree.
    Mabuhay ang Modern Arnis!
    Salamat,
    Ben.

5. The Game

The Game Pain

Nothing wrong with loyalty to one's instructor.

6. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Ben,

Others have used me in the past. They have stated that since I have gone to a seminar they hosted or taught at that I am supporting them 110%. They state that I am part of their fold. I am not. First and foremost is is false. Secondly it is an insult to those I did train with and learn from.

Lastly, I have this small chip the size on Montana on my shoulder about racism. It seems, that any Filipino who picks up a stick is considered more respectable and more knowledgeable that many others who have studied the system.

Hence, why I said I would most likely just call Dr Remy Presas. If I could get home at a reasonable hour, I would do so. Until it is a reasonable hour to call him, I guess I will just have to wait. But, my point is still very clear. People think they are doing the "RIGHT" thing but in the end they are actually causing damage to themselves and to those who are training them.

As to this being a forum, and it should be a place to post points of view, and debates, then may I ask, what is wrong with my points? How are my points any less valid than those I commented about? Your points are valid as well, I just am sorry that I seem to be someone people want to take advantage of and use to further their own motives.

7. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Rich your rank is obviously valid as it was given to you by the Professor. There is no question on that nor any need on your part to have your rank recognized as it simply just is. The long standing history of the Flint Modern Arnis practitioiners is something special and the quality that is there is something to behold!

Race should be absolutely no factor in the martial arts. Skill is what counts!

Ben I will see you in August for the Dr. Presas seminar as I enjoy training with anyone who has a Modern Arnis connection. I would be interested to learn, chat and talk about his experiences in Modern Arnis. Plus it is always interesting to see how someone else was taught, trains, teaches, etc. Personally I am looking forward to it.

Rich I hope that you can make it as well and we can chat there too! [​IMG]

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Full agreement there!

The Professor always told me he thought I could do this material despite the fact that I was obviously not of Filipino descent. He seemed to think it was about heart, not ethnicity! I do understand Filipinos taking pride in their arts--I would hope so!--but like Karate, Judo, TKD, anyone can do these systems. Learning about the culture can promote better understanding of how and why the system developed and what its goals are, but anyone can learn about that if they are dedicated enough.

9. Alakd'an

Alakd'an New Member

Hello Rich

Hi Rich. My post reply was not directed souly to you and I do know of that chip the size of montana. And I whole heartily agree with 100% about the racism. I just wanted to let people know my position. I absoluetly agree that you have the right to your opinion and your response was fine.
    I think we can miss the point someone makes that we disagree with.
    I look forward to your upcoming seminar which I will attend at Brian's. And Brian, I will be attending both Rich's and Orlando's seminar's.
    By the way, Thanks for your insight Rich. I, for one, am enlightened by MOST people's post here in FMA Talk. (Some people are just goofy).
    I do hope to see you at the seminar in August. If you plan on bringing others with you, even to just introduce them to Remy jr., I will work with you on price. If you don't make it, I'll see you at yours. Hang in there.
    Yours in Modern Arnis, Ben.

10. Alakd'an

Alakd'an New Member

Another thought

Just to let you know that I would never use anyones name to further my club. I know that was not directed at me, I just want you to know you can trust me to never play that game, this goes for anyone. I "fly or die" on my own. I have had several people who are much higher rank than I, that have supported my seminars and I would never even attempt to use them as a crutch. I can certainly understand your frustration and I will continue to support those of us here in Michigan who are teaching and training in the FMA's as best I can.
    Again, yours in Modern Arnis, Ben.

11. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Hey Ben there is no doubt about that on anyones part with you! [​IMG]

See you soon in August for Dr. Remy's seminar! [​IMG]