MT: Themed seminars?

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by balita, Dec 16, 2009.

1. balita

balita <B>News Bot</B>

Themed seminars?
    By Stan - 12-16-2009 10:56 AM

====================

Most of the Modern Arnis seminars I've either seen or been to are billed as "general" seminars. Attendees don't really know what's going to be taught until they get there. While I can see that this is a legacy of Professor Presas, who was a genius and didn't want to be constrained in his own art by a narrow curriculum, I think that for where the art is now, we would benefit from having more seminars, with more focus or theme. For example; an intro seminar, one on advanced left-vs-right Tapi-Tapi, one on joint locks, knife defense, etc. I have seen these occasionally, but more often Modern Arnis events are just general Modern Arnis.

Even within the camps, I would like to see more options. I'm thinking maybe three tracks at the larger camps; beginners, skills development and instructor development. We have to realize that some intermediate to advanced practitioners are interested in developing themselves as teachers, while others are just interested in pushing their individual skills as far as possible.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

2. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Actually, I do themed seminars all of the time. I will teach my modules (EDT, Solo Baston, PSC, Balintawak Concepts, etc.). On the website I usually just say Presas Arnis concepts. If I go to a new school I with use my generic single stick template. If it’s a repeat performance I will get more topic specific. When we go our WMAA camps I will have specific topics and times for all of the sessions. Of course I’m always ready to change topics based on the knowledge and experience of the seminar attendees.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thread moved.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

4. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I like themed seminars as well and go out of my way to teach a variety of intensives in this manner. People I have found in general
    really like this approach!

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I agree! It's nice to get an overview of an art that I am absolutely not familiar with, but generally I'd rather come away with a technique or drill I can use. Getting just one take-away technique out of a seminar is pretty good in my book!