MT: Serrada Eskrima: Khalid Khan: FAST Lock & Block-Antonio

Discussion in 'Serrada' started by balita, Feb 5, 2008.

1. balita

balita <B>News Bot</B>

Serrada Eskrima: Khalid Khan: FAST Lock & Block-Antonio
    By Brian R. VanCise - Tue, 05 Feb 2008 18:07:13 GMT

====================

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Here's the clip:
    [yt]WqZ0_Emol1A[/yt]

Definitely some short sticks!

3. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

Lock and block drill. When you learn from Angel you learned that drill.
    [​IMG]

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Hmmmm, I see passing and checking but little of what I'd call locking. In arnis "lock" usually means a more jujutsu-style hold (possibly with the stick, but a true immobilization). Does "lock" refer to the brief hand traps?

5. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

Its a serrada term specific to that style which means that your hands are in a perpetual motion/set position as you see in the drill the player has his hands up in position ready for the next block & trap & strike. When we trade techniques such as in lock-and-block or numerado, the timing is several beats or moves in the counter, then maybe even a timing break to reset before a strike is returned; we have time to see the pattern creating the next incoming attack. So the lock and blok drill keeps your hands at ready to counter multiple attacks or attackers and aids in your development to see counters. GM V. Cabales , Master Khan, GM A. Davis, Guro Jeff'Stickman Finder,PG D. Tibon, PG Sultan Uddim and PG J. Hundon and GM R. Castro all know how this drill and others like it develop your counter attack skills.

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Ah, OK!

7. tsefreeflow

tsefreeflow New Member

Sorry, but thats not entirely what the name means. In this demo and all others you find on video are of the drill "Lock and Block" which is just a name for the specific demo drill and was not originally called that. There are two things locking refers to in this drill, one you barely see here in this clip and one you never see in any video of this drill.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  8. pguinto

pguinto New Member

Arnisador, in Lock & Block, the defender counters then performs a lock. This is done by using the check hand to make a dagger thrusting movement then returning to a ready stance. In a sense, a dagger thrust by the defender means he's locked a win and is now ready for whatever comes next.

Mike, actually at the beginning of this clip, the defender does lock after each block. It's so quick and slight that you could miss it entirely or forget that it actually happened. However when the feeder started feeding the next strike without waiting for the defender to lock, the defender compensated by completely disregarding to do the locking movement (dagger thrust). So what began as lock n block quickly became block n block...

Whenever i defend in this drill, i make an effort to do a pronounced (fully extended) dagger thrust after my counter so that the feeder makes an effort to wait until i have finished & locked b4 feeding the next strike/dagger strike.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Ah, OK! The term made me think of our tapi-tapi drill, which locks the arm(s) in a jujutsu-like style. That's what confused me.

10. tsefreeflow

tsefreeflow New Member

Yes I see that; this is in reference to my point "...one you barely see here in this clip..."

11. chris arena

chris arena New Member

Serrada FLorette's

From the way I learned Serrada (TSE style), the basic 12 strike defenses had to have the following florette movements done after each counterstrike. One for inside defense and one for outside defense. No matter what technique was used. The following Florrete movements were always done in the fundamental drills
    1. Inside Florette defense. Slice to stomach and stick to your right pointed to opponents stomach. Left hand checking and adusting the oponents wrist in order put it in range for underwrist hit and then a strong torquing down top wrist hit and stop in ready postition.

2. Outside defense. Much simpler. After the technicue, your live hand postions the opponent's wrist for a torquing strike to the to of his wrist with your stick and then a check to the opponent's elbow with the stick.

In lock & block, we used to start out slow. I was fed each strike at any one of the various 12 angle strikes and used any one of the defense techniques. The feeder at first allowed me time to do my florettes. The drill would accelerates to where he would strike and restrike, thus not giving me time to pull off a florette finish, slow down, give me time again and then speed up, eventually speeding up the drill until I had no time to do a florette. This was really hard to do and keep your cool!

To be honest, I feel that the Lock & block drill, done properly at speed (something that I have never been all that good at) is propably the hardest thing for me to learn when I was taught this art. In my opinion, just plain free flow give & take Sumbrada is easier than Lock & Block properly done.

Nothing esle in FMA is quite like it.

Chris A

12. ScorpioVI

ScorpioVI New Member

That Lock & Block video was supposed to be fast?

Lock & Block, as was explained to me by Guro Ward, is essentially drown-proofing. You're supposed to be overwhelmed, and it's supposed to be hard. And from what I've seen from my seniors, it never gets easier, just faster. As the receiver, you can't "win" at L&B, just "die less often". As the feeder, you learn just how devastating espada y daga is.

Nothing is as terrifyingly awesome as watching Inayan guros do L&B.

13. pahhhoul

pahhhoul New Member

I definitely agree.
    When doing L&B with a senior student as the defender, it's almost, almost damn near impossible to counter when the feeder has stick & dagger in hand.
    like ScorpioVI said, just try to "die less often" is what cha gotta do.