MT: New Book on Balintawak System of Arnis

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by balita, Sep 6, 2007.

1. balita

balita <B>News Bot</B>

New Book on Balintawak System of Arnis
    By melmiel - Thu, 06 Sep 2007 14:29:50 GMT

====================

Hi , I am Mel and I am from the Philippines and I new in this forum. A friend is selling the latest book on Balintawak Arnis by John Russell. If you are interested click on the link below to order:

http://akingtindahan.multiply.com/photos/photo/4/1

Thanks!

Mel

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

2. 408kali

408kali Member

Looks interesting. Over 1300 photographs? Wow... that's alot! $35. is a steal...

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The price is good, and I was going to buy it, but the cost of shipping to the U.S. put me off. Has anyone reviewed it yet?

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Well, I went ahead and bought it. It arrived promptly and in fine shape. I'll review it when time permits!

5. Far Walkers Moon

Far Walkers Moon New Member

It looks like a good book I await the review

6. Scott Brailey

Scott Brailey New Member

Hey Arnisador,
    Hows the review coming? I'd post one myself but since I am a student of the author I might be considered a little bit biased!!
    The book is also available for sale now in Australia through Visayan Martial Arts. Keen to read your thoughts!

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

It's coming slowly! Sorry, work is keeping me quite busy.

8. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I was wondering if this book will ever be available through some major sellers, or a least offered in a way that would make it easier for people that do not live in PayPal approved countries to order it?

9. Scott Brailey

Scott Brailey New Member

You can email John Russell directly through vmajr@hotmail.com and pay directly into bank details he can provide you then he will ship it to you or you can hold off until ....
    We update our wesite to sell the book in PDF format allowing you to purchase either the entire book or sections of the book as desired through direct bank deposit.
    The website upgrades to www.visayanmartialarts.com should be complete within the next 3 weeks.

Ta mate,

Scott

10. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Oh, that's great news! do you have even a ballpark estimation of when it will be available in PDF?
    Thoug, after all, I might even try sending cash...

11. Scott Brailey

Scott Brailey New Member

Yeah dude, as I said in the last message about 3 weeks till the website is set up for it.

Ta,

Scott

12. deke

deke New Member

This book has been in the pipeline for over ten years and is the product of extensive research. He was working on it when I was training with him.

It is more of a technical manual than a book. Lots and lots of photos with indepth description of techniques. Simple summary follows.

Short History, characteristics, basic stances and footwork working through 12 basic strikes and counters, at random, pak gang, group 1 to 5, end plays, push and pull, pok pok, hitting point, palakaw and give and take.

My precis

Never seen a MA book in such detail which goes through the full syllabus (as I was taught). Cacoys book printed in the late 80's is the only book that comes close. The way the book is constructed demonstrates Johns
    understanding of Balintawak in general showcasing his indepth knowledge and research.

However difficult the book is to get hold of buy it!

13. Mono

Mono Member

I recieved the Book while training in the PI in November last year.

It is devided in 4 Sections.

1. Covers some Basic Principals of FMA and some History about FMA and Balintawak.

Section 2 is on the Basics of Balintawak; Stances, Footwork, Holding the Stick, 12 Basic Strikes, Defense and Counter, Training Method etc

Section three is about the Groupings 1-5, showing various different Variations withing the Groups

Section four touches the subjects of end plays, push an pull, butting, disarms, semi hitting, mor details on teaching method and progression.

After all, one of the best books on the Subject I have seen so far. (Of course, there are not too many others to compare it with; as far as I know there is only the Digital Book by Sam Buot (wich I have not seen yet) and the Book by GM Atillos Student Dieter Roser (wich will be published this April (in Germany) - so I have not seen this one either)

As for the negative Points: Yes there are tons of Pictures - unfortunately, they are rather small and its sometimes hard to see some of the finer Points of Hand Positiopns etc. Also, there are no lines, arrows or other Graphic elemnts added to indicate or further explain motion. so ist not easy to grasp some of the rather complex motions without going over it many times. The rather short descriptions below each picture (wich are sometimes hard to understand as well) do not help a whole lot...

But besides this its a good addition to my library and it shows some nice variations to the groupings to work with (once you take the time to work your way through the pictures etc).

Hope this helps a little.

Yours,
    Philipp "Mono" Wolf
    Germany
    www.fmabc.de

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I finally got a chance to review the book this past week and had a similar opinion. I enjoyed the initial text part and am glad to have this item on my shelf; but, it says there are over 1300 (B&W) pictures in its 217 numbered pages, and it just doesn't work. There are usually 9 pictures on each page, which is smaller than the page of a typical martial arts book on my shelf. With small, B&W pictures with no additional graphics and only brief explanations, it's hard to get much out of the photos.

A reprint with three times as many pages and some graphics, or color, or multiple-angle shots, etc., could really make the difference here. Thanks for trying to capture this subtle art in this static medium, and don't be discouraged! It's appreciated.

15. Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson Member

Hi Scott,

How's the pdf download coming? I'd love to get the book. Haven't received an answer from John Russell yet.

Yours,
    Dan Anderson