MT: Is your FMA Blade-based, Stick-Based or...

Discussion in 'FMA From Around the Web' started by balita, Jul 15, 2010.

1. balita

balita <B>News Bot</B>

Is your FMA Blade-based, Stick-Based or...
    By geezer - 07-14-2010 01:19 PM

====================

Regardless of whether you call it Eskrima, Arnis, Kali, or just FMA, the art you study is probably either conceptually blade-based or stick based. Moreover, it is likely either a specialized art, focusing primarily on either blade or stick... or, on the other hand it, it may be a generalized art, expanding from its conceptual basis to encompass blade, stick, empty hand... and anything else you can grab and use in a fight.

Which kind of art do you practice? And, if it is a "generalized" art, is an original basis in blade or stick reflected in your movements and "attitude" even when you are not holding blade or baston?

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

2. Raw_Prime

Raw_Prime New Member

Sorry to necro an old thread. We start off stick end heavily with empty hands...at least that's what my senoirs are always working on......
    /Latosa Eskrima

3. sjansen

sjansen New Member

We use weapons to train our hands. So, we use both. One is cannot be taken from the other without the knowledge of both. Uf you only use weapons you don't understand empty hands and if you can't understand the use of empty hands you don't understand weapons. Weapons are just and extention of technique.

4. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

SEAMOK is motion based and principal driven...everything else is merely a tool.

5. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello Everyone,
    Well the art that I do and teach "Tortal family" , is very much blade based.

Thanks,
    John

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  6. Like Mike said, Bahad Zu'bu is also "People based"....

Sticks or blades do not fly at you like in "Fantasia", they need somebody intent on hurting you.

If you have a weapon and it is dis-armed / dropped / not there can you no longer function as your "base" has been removed?

So like Geezer said, another one for "Generalized" though I question the distinction. By focusing on the micro the macro makes sense :)

Simon.

7. Raul

Raul Mananandata

My art is blade-based i.e. the sword is the foundation of all the movements. Regardless of weapon/s used, the sword principles rule all the time.

8. geezer

geezer Member

Raul, could you elaborate a bit on how the "sword principles" inform your application of baston and empty hands in your art?

9. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

The "Tortal Familt System" is blade based, but evolved from traditionally. very thick, heavy agricultural implements. For instance, the Ginunting evolved from the Binanggong(old word) or Binangon, literally used for cutting wood. That is why the footwork is so unique in Dekiti, if you use the most of the common/modern styles of "Triangle Footwork" you WILL cut your self with a traditional Ilonggo blade. By coincidence the footwork in Dekiti is intended for anything to be used as a weapon and/or empty-hand, yet the heavy blade practice also enhances you body mechanics for a heavy impact weapon. The Tortal system was not even intended to be a rattan baston, point competition art, the baston is merely used to teach the lines, proper use of the techniques and how to off-balance/manipulate your opponent. Making the first Contrada, disarm, application you feel(learn), your first Dumog lesson.

So the answer to the question is, blade but with an "It's all the same" twist to it.

I hope I conveyed this properly and elaborated enough............because describing a system that uses non-opposing force, compound-angles, merges linear and non-linear flows, and energy reversals is impossible using text.

10. free2flow

free2flow New Member

We do a lot of controlling of the weapon at close range which is risky and hard to do with a real and long blade. What we do falls primarily as a stick-based or short-blade (knife) art.

11. Geezer,

In lieu of Raul's reply this vid should be able to illustrate some finer points:

[yt]LVnx0NHnekQ[/yt]

I will preface the next bit by "I am not an Ilustrisimo Practitioner but here are my observations" (;))

The baston work is influenced by the sword in a number of ways. Most apparent are the lack of blocks in the system. Also, the movements of the strikes tend to be be circular without the stick being pulled back / chambered a great deal.

In the video you can see Tatang Ilustrisimo applying his art empty handed using the concepts / movement with the blade.

It is interesting to note that Tatang's senior students 'Topher Ricketts and Yuli Romo developed their own empty hand systems to complement the Ilustrismo system.

I am sure Raul will provide a more comprehensive reply and I too am interested in the answer.

Simon.