MT: FMA Questions for beginner

Discussion in 'FMA From Around the Web' started by balita, Jan 5, 2011.

1. balita

balita <B>News Bot</B>

FMA Questions for beginner
    By revfidel - 01-05-2011 12:33 AM

====================

Hello, I am new around here and looking into studying Wing Chun or Kali.
    I have noticed that many of the FMA empty hand techniques and Wing Chun look simular in some ways. I have learned that Wing Chun has forms and that the system is based on knowing the forms well. I was wondering if Kali has forms? Also, how is Kali taught? Are there forms, excercises, ect.?

thank you for your time.

Revfidel

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

2. billc

billc New Member

Some Kali styles have forms, but it is not necassarily a trademark of kali styles. The style of Kali that I am working on right now is Dekiti Tirsia Sirada kali, and we have basics which we work and we will start with drills but then as quickly as possible get away from the drills. Why are you looking to train in Kali or wing chun? The answer to that will help people answer your questions and it will spead things up for you.

3. WuLord187

WuLord187 Albo Kali Silat Student

It all depends were you train some schools wont teach you forms until you get the basics down and understanding of application, and others are vice versa. And then there are schools that allow you to create your own forms based on the techniques you learned.

4. sjansen

sjansen New Member

Neither kali nor wing chun aare really form based. They have concepts that are taught and sometimes linked together and trained in a pattern form, but not really as a form. They usually have few steps and can go as high as 12 in both, but much more than that is discouraged as it will take away from the opportunities or oppenings that you are given. Kali trains in many drills usually three to twelve steps. Most are three to five. Wing chun has chi sao drills, punching, and hand drills that are used to teach feeling. Most are done with a partner, but are also practiced on a dummy as well. When you feel an opening you take it. Again these are usually only three to five steps. Linking can be done for practice, but forms for both are few and far between. Both teach concepts like keeping a center line in Wing Chun and flowing with the attack in Kali. You will usually find Wing Chun in forms of Kali and boith are taught together with JKD (which had a Wing Chun starting point) and are not always distinguished which form you are learning from.