MT: FMA Division in MI Tournament in May 2008

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by balita, Nov 5, 2007.

1. balita

balita <B>News Bot</B>

FMA Division in MI Tournament in May 2008
    By Dalum - Mon, 05 Nov 2007 13:26:01 GMT

====================

Hi all, I hate making a plug (especially since I've been away for so long and I hope it's not in the wrong forum) but the studio that I am teaching out of now holds an annual tournament. 2008's is coming up in May and we are kicking around the idea of officially having an escrima division. I don't have the specific date but it's going to be in May. I'll get more info as things develop. One thing for sure, we are using a modified version of the WEKAF rules as they seem to be quite complete and most safe.

My big questions is: If we were to continue in the development of this section of the tournament, who is willing to show and who is willing to come from out of Michigan to compete? I want to make sure that it's worth it to everyone involved.

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thread moved; original thread is on [ur]MartialTalk.com[/url].

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

3. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

FMA Michigan tournament

Why yes, we might be interested. We're on the West side.
    Padded or live, we're game.

4. Dalum

Dalum New Member

Thank you Arnisador for cross posting my original info from MT!

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I knew it was here somewhere but when I saw the newsbot had caught it I figured another mention couldn't hurt!

6. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

I really enjoyed the "first blood " rules that they used at the Sulong tourney. To me it made a lot more sense than the go for broke slam and jam , give and take Wekaf rules took a bit more finesse to make it work.
    Just my 2 centavos

7. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Is the school open? I've left a message and made several follow up calls and all I get is the answering machine.

8. Bill Bednarick

Bill Bednarick Junior Member

Like I said on MartialTalk I'm interested.

One thing that I really liked about Sulong was the prizes.
    They gave away weapons.

We can all use more weapons. :sword2:

Contact me via PM and I'll donate some trainers for your event too.

9. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

In your case Bill, they gave away "toys" to play with.

The "toys" were very nice. The eapada daga from Nene Tortals was beautiful and well made. The Practice trainers from Combative Customs were sweet.

I have too many plastic dust magnets ( trophies) I'd rather win "TOYS!"

10. Dalum

Dalum New Member

Been thinking more...

I believe we are going to not go with WEKAF rules now. What it seems like we are going to go with is a point match. 1 - 2 Minute round points race. I've watched more videos and talked to a few people and I really don't like to keep a boxing style rule set. As time goes on, i'll have the final rules down for how weare goign to run it. There's plenty of time to go as the tournament is set for Saturday, May 10th.

MANY thanks to Datu Hartman! Thank you for allowing me to bend your ear the other night. I'm feeling much better now that I'm over the flu and I'll try to give you a call tomorrow night as my night is booked with my daughter's events tonight.

11. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

When you say "point match", do you mean stop point or continuous fighting with corner judges keeping count tally?
    Are you still planning to use live or padded?

12. Dalum

Dalum New Member

Stop on a completed/commited strike.

I want to get the scoring down before making decisions on how much padding vs live/padded stick.

13. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

I would really like to suggest going to continuous from an art/fun perspective.
    Stop point really tends to drive negative habits, suicide shots and removes the art from the competition and doesn't simulate a real fight. And it's a heck of a lot more fun to keep going. You get a groove going, footwork comes into play, ect.
    Just some thoughts. Have you seen this clip?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0SBF2hW5ec
    Again, it is your tournament, just sharing a perspective.

14. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Then you get matches like this.

[yt]hHI3Q68L3TU[/yt]

15. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

I've actually fought several of the Upakan guys, this one included.
    They are very skilled practitioners and Guro Rafael is a great guy.
    They are simply adapting to the rules and scoring used at hand to win the competition on that day.
    Same as in stop point. In any competition someone is going to find a way to skirt the rules and make them work for them to win rather than fight in the spirit of the rules. Eventually a sort of evolution takes place and you adapt to what works in the scoring.
    If you do continuous with the right set of rules it can be quite fun (and much more entertaining for spectators). At the Sulong we had guys start bashing and ignoring shots. We told them, they're not scoring by doing that and all they're doing is burning calories. They both continued to do it equally so we I let them continue and eventually they slowed down and stopped doing it because they could no longer breathe! Had only one been doing it, that would not have been allowed to continue at all.
    It is the responsibility of the officials and the center to make sure the fight is carried out in the spirit of the rules.

Don't get me wrong here, all competition is good. It helps you improve some differing aspect of your skills. Any form will cause negative habits to develop and we need to be sure to round things out.
    I do actually feel that stop point is worse in this regard than most other forms.
    But again, I'm merely sharing my view with Dalum and I fully repect his choice.

16. Dalum

Dalum New Member

It's discussion like this that helps me make decisions. Datu Tim has given me some great insight (as well as other people) but the big problem is that we are running this to get people to participate from other styles. Keeping a similar ruleset to point sparring will help keep everyone on the same page as well as the issue of having to pull someone from another ring will help as well. We won't have to tell them to watch for a million different things with no experience.

17. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Thanks Fred, that sounds like a very logical decision and makes great sense.
    Hope you all the best success with your tournament. We need more opportunities like this.
    Keep us updated.

18. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

This is an important point. It's a competition, and you must play to win! The question then becomes, what rules will lead to the most useful/interesting/realistic matches as people try to win under them.

19. Dalum

Dalum New Member

OK, first off... I DEEEEPLY apologize for dropping off the face of the earth. I got jacked with work and was left to fend for myself in a mass layoff. I had to make priority changes and getting this division of the tournament up and running had to go down. I'm back and working again and I can dedicate more time to this. The only problem is that now the tournament is very close, like next month close. :( Is everyone still on board that has shown interest or is there not enough lead time to get registered and prepare? We are having the event on May 10th.

I want this to fly but understand that it might not with this type of time frame. I'm at work right now on lunch so I can't post the final set of rules till I get home from teaching my kids class tonight.

My question to everyone that has given me support this whole time is will you still be coming? If so, call my studio and leave a message as an RSVP. I'll assess the situation with how many want to come and then I'll post back here to say if it's still on or not.

I want this to be beneficial to our community of FMA'ers my local community as well as the studio and tournament.

Leave a message for us at 989-399-9925.

(I posted this in the general FMA section of MT earlier...)

20. Dalum

Dalum New Member