MT: Cutting Practice and the FMA's!

Discussion in 'General' started by balita, Jun 25, 2007.

1. balita

balita <B>News Bot</B>

Cutting Practice and the FMA's!
    By Brian R. VanCise - Sun, 24 Jun 2007 17:33:46 GMT

====================

Okay I have been doing alot of cutting practice with my Barong's and Bolo's and my Kampilan. Since I also practice some other styles I have been using some really good tatami mats and they have been cutting beautifullly.

What are some of your favorite things to practice cutting on? (mats, bamboo, plastic bottles, etc.)

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I don't do enough of this--I should do more!

3. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

Banana trees and yard work,use it for trimming etc... after all those weapons were tools as well. In the old days there were not hedge trimmers or lawn mowers or pruning shears in Maharlika. To me utilitarian use of these weapons and training really helps one get intimate with your weapon. For me the goal is to be one with my stick or blade or hairbrush or umbrella or little mag flashlight.

4. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Meat!

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've always wanted to try this but never have! Pork in saran wrap is what I've been recommended to try.

6. Malapitan

Malapitan New Member

I've done this quite a few times. I've cleared an old overgrown house and property with a bolo, cleared a trail on a trip to the mountains here and a carved campsites on some expeditions.

It's very good training but I would not recommend it for new students. If the student has not practiced enough, is not aware of the edge, serious injury is a very real possibility.

And always look out for snakes. :)

7. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I buy a big piece of scrap meat from a local meat locker....they have a lot of meat from wild game they process etc. It isn't good for anything so it is pretty dang cheap..sometime free. You definetley get a feel of what your blade can do....add to it by buying some stage blood..coat your hands etc....reality sets in...that shiv is not as easy to work when the hands are coated and slippery. Perhaps for some this is over the top but it works. Also take the meat and put into clothing , jackets etc. that you don't need and see what it takes to penetrate etc. Good stuff if that's your taste.

8. Bill Bednarick

Bill Bednarick Junior Member

Some of the last people you want facing you with a knife are butchers and meat cutters.

Sure they won't have fancy methods only their style knows.[​IMG]

But they will have allot of experience killing and cutting up mammals in some pretty rough conditions.

I read somewhere the Bolo Fighters in WWII mostly had very few techniques.
    What they did have is years of cutting with that bolo on various things like dinner, firewood, etc.

Same thing for the Gurkha...
    Years and years of living with the blade in everyday use.

9. seobeglobal

seobeglobal New Member

yes, i've heard about this too, is it true?