MT: Brief Analysis of Heaven Six

Discussion in 'General' started by balita, Apr 5, 2010.

1. balita

balita <B>News Bot</B>

Brief Analysis of Heaven Six
    By Hawke - 04-05-2010 04:07 AM

====================

Analysis of Heaven Six by Michael Janich

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

2. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I like that he links everything together. I think that is pretty important.

Out of curiosity, what are people's thoughts on Michael Janich around here? He seems like a competent practitioner and teacher from what I can tell, but there are a bench of those out there. I know his background is Serrada and Silat Serak via Joe Simonet and he has some Arnis de Mano experience as well so that part seems legit enough. I guess I have never been particularly blown away by what I have seen from him enough to justify the recognition he has gotten in my own mind. I rented several of his DVD's from Goldstar and have watched a bunch of his stuff on youtube because I was curious. Some good stuff in there to be sure but nothing earth shattering either.

Having said that, Mr. Janich hardly needs my approval to do what he does, so this is all purely academic as far as a discussion goes. From what I hear he is a good guy and a good instructor so I hope that this doesn't come across as me bashing him. Just curious I guess.

3. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Hey Jwinch2 I think he is okay. Not great, nothing earth shattering in his repertoire but okay for a very basic level approach. This is all based of his dvd's and videos and I am confident that in person he would be a lot better but I have not met him yet. So for me the jury is out until I meet and train with him!

4. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Thanks Brian,

My exposure is similar to yours in that I have seen him on DVD and video online but that is it. Hard to really know until you see them in action in person or even better, touch hands with them.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've never doen any of Michael Janich's material in person but like what I've seen on TV and read about. I do sometimes wonder if it's too simplified.

6. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Interesting observation. Sometimes I hear people talk about simplicity and when I watch what they are doing it comes across as a lack of depth. I have no way of knowing whether or not Janich's material falls into that category but I did get that feeling watching his videos.

7. sjansen

sjansen New Member

Janich seems to know what he is talking about and although his videos are simplistic, you have to think about his audience. He is probably trying to teach those not in the know. Heaven six is hard to learn. It takes practice to get muscle memory. Once you know it, you can do it in your sleep and I find myself talking while I'm doing it because it is so automatic. This seems to come out in the video. He seems to know what he is talking about, but does not want to go too in depth like reverse heaven, heaven and earth, double tap heaven, or excelerted heaven. I throw them in when teahing beacuse I find people getting too ingrained in the pattern. He is trying to teach the simple principle and that is what you usally get from most videos.

I always like the principle to learn the drill and then use the skill freestyle. For a video I am not sure that I would do much different.

8. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

I've seen FMA practitioners use Heaven Six as naturally as they'd use a knife and fork, and they do so with power, precision, timing, and footwork. On the other hand I've seen some noted "names" demonstrate Heaven Six and they're just dreadful. Mr. Janich's clip doesn't really fall under (or between) either extreme because his purpose is merely to show the foundational structure of the movement. I liked the clarity and conciseness of the clip and I think the value therein lies in the way he is structuring the Heaven Six sequence for beginners. The first thing you might want to add to the foundation (after you've built it) is a consideration of why you ended up in the over/under chamber in the first place. After all, you had to get there from somewhere. Then you might follow-up with considerations of how you can build power, precision, timing, and footwork while you're practicing applications from the chamber. After that, you might want to look at where the movement takes you after your counter.

Best,

Steve

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

There's some interesting perspectives in here on teaching it and on making connections! On the other hand, I would consider his arm motion to be far too abbreviated in those strikes while actually doing the drill:

[yt]DxVAR4zM6bg[/yt]

As others have said, though, it seems to suit his purposes, so good for him!

10. 5thprofession47

5thprofession47 New Member

I have known and trained with Mr. Janich for six years now. He is without a doubt one of the most knowledgeable and professional instructors I have had the pleasure to train with. I consider him a good friend and would encourage anyone to train with him if they have the opportunity.

Here is his bio from his website, http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/index.htm

11. Pitboss 306

Pitboss 306 New Member

I just realized watching this video that I am a rattan snob. It looks all fine and well, but I cringed with every snap. I do like it though.