Motivation for training in the Filipino Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General' started by peter, May 3, 2006.

1. peter

peter New Member

Mabuhay

I am currently conducting research into motivation for starting and continuing to train within the Filipino Martial Arts as part of ongoing study towards a BA (Hons) Degree.

I have established a simple online questionnaire and would be very grateful if you could spare a few minutes to complete this. The link to the questionnaire is:

http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?p=WEB225A4B3A83D

I hope to eventually publish the findings of this research and thank you for taking the time to support my studies.

Gumagalang

Peter

2. peter

peter New Member

Mabuhay

Many thanks to all who have supported the survey so far. We are up to 50 now! Please keep up the good work and continue to complete the questionnaire. My target is at least 100 participants.

Gumagalang

Peter

3. peter

peter New Member

Mabuhay

Many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to complete the "Motivation Survey." I have now surpassed my goal of 100 participants, and the total is currently 138, which is excellent.

Maraming salamat po sa inyong lahat.

Gumagalang

Peter

4. peter

peter New Member

Mabuhay

I intend to keep the motivation survey available for at least two more weeks. Thereafter, it will be endless headaches and keyboard dyslexia for me! [​IMG] But that's ok really. [​IMG]

Maraming salamat po

Peter

5. James Miller

James Miller Member Supporting Member

What are the results like?

6. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

7. peter

peter New Member

Hi Guys

It is a little early for results yet, but certainly of the 194 participants to date (6 more please!!!) only 5% are female. Could this be that women don't train, don't surf forums, or simply that men need the FMA to defend against them? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So far approximately 62% are very motivated by self-protection, but it is the more intrinsic aspects that really motivate participants. over 75% are motivated by acquiring deeping knowledge and understanding, and similar figures are shown for mastery of techniques, personal growth and helping others to grow.

What I find very interesting is that most martial arts, as taught in the West, are driven by belts, certificates, trophies and status. The current survey indicates that these are the least motivational factors, which could be why some research (Gabelhouse) suggests that 86% of people who start training in martial arts quit. Often because of lost interest, poor curriculum, or instructor ability.

I'll keep you posted as the analysis progresses.

Gumagalang

Peter

8. Nanalo74

Nanalo74 New Member

Very interesting.

I would definitely be interested in the results.

Vic

9. Tarot

Tarot New Member

I took it so that another female can add to the stats! :D

10. peter

peter New Member

Thanks very much for complete the survey Tarot. Still running at only 5% female participants. Does this seem a realistic representation to you? So far so good, but this is really the easy part. The dreaded writing will start soon.

Best regards

Peter

11. Tarot

Tarot New Member

I would say it's probably pretty close. For some reason there just aren't very many females who do FMA. I don't know why but hopefully that will change. :D

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, the percentage is low, unfortunately.

I did do the survey, BTW!

13. DAMAG-INC

DAMAG-INC New Member

14. Roar

Roar New Member

hey y'all!

i'm a beginner in FMA AND i'm a woman.

lately i've been wondering how many women were involved in FMA and i had no idea that there were so few women involved.

i'm also wondering whether there are cultural barriers regarding filipino/asian/pacific island women being involved in martial arts. both my parents scoffed at the idea of me being involved in FMA despite the fact that its part of our ethnic/cultural heritage. [how many parents are sending their daughters to fma schools? how many adult women role models do these girls have? would there be more participation on the part of female children if more adult women were involved?]

i also wonder (1) whether lack of female sparring partners contribute to the lack of participation or loss of motivation in FMA; (2) if there are more women involved in other types of martial arts because of convenience, family memberships in other types of martial arts schools [my friend joined kenpo because her kids are in kenpo], availability of classes or schools in their area; (3) if women stop participating due to family/work related issues [for example, i had to stop classes because i was coaching my son's soccer team - children are often times a woman's priority especially for traditional filipino women who hold family life above all else - or not - i could be wrong - i'm not the most traditional filipina but its a thought.]

ummm i'm going to stop thinking now lol my brain hurts ... thanks for doing the study.

i'm really looking forward to seeing the results!

aloha,
    roar

15. Seidogirl

Seidogirl New Member

I am also female and will be starting up FMA hopefully soon. I am not Filipino, I am white, but I am drawn to the FMA because it just seems like such a comprehensive system that can be applied immediately.

I think the reason we don't see more women in the FMA is because they just don't know about it. There's a karate or TKD school on every corner, but how many FMA schools are there here in the US? It's just more convenient for a woman who has kids to take them to the local karate school. I also take karate and there are MANY women in the classes. Some have kids who also take classes there, so it's just easier for them. I personally am not put off by fewer (or no) female sparring partners. I don't see that as a bad thing, but that's just my opinion.

16. Brock

Brock Asha'man

50% of my adult class is women. I also have a good percentage of girls in my kids classes, so I think it's more of an issue of educating the public about what makes FMA different from Karate and TKD.

17. Roar

Roar New Member

exciting!

i've visited 3 escrima schools.

one was a beginner's class that was about 50% - 75% female ... mostly little girls and another class where there were just a couple women.

my current school just has a couple women who are involved in multiple martial arts.

although the numbers of women in fma and martial arts is really an interesting topic ... i thought one of the main reasons of the study was to explore motivation ... and possibly reasons why martial artists lose motivation.

i didnt intend on focusing on the numbers of women ... it was just a thought that came to mind and my personal observation.

sorry for the confusion. i tend to share too many of my thoughts and i like to mention all the possibilities not intending to imply that these are the only reasons why women do or do not participate in martial arts.

i also did not mean to imply that there were extremely few women involved either.

in any case, i just think the issue of women and sports (in general) is interesting in light of motivation and external factors that might affect motivation in sports.

18. kellygemini12

kellygemini12 -== Banned ==-