Modern Arnis as a complete system.

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by James Miller, Feb 14, 2010.

1. James Miller

James Miller Member Supporting Member

How many people teach Modern Arnis as a complete system versus as an ad on?

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I think of it and present it that way, but I still find that most people are interested in it only as a weapons add-on!

3. Datu Dieter

Datu Dieter Junior Member

complete system

Well, here in Europe we teach it as a complete system and are quite successful with that.

Datu Dieter

4. Epa

Epa Member

I'm curious about what people mean when they say a complete system. It's kind of a vague term and could mean different things like

1.) I teach the complete system that Remy Presas taught, including all forms, techniques, training methods and so on.

2.) I teach Modern Arnis as a system that covers all aspects of fighting.

In the second case, how do you supplement the art to cover aspects of fighting that Remy Presas didn't teach? For example, Modern Arnis as taught by Remy Presas did not have a position based ground system (like what you see in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo, Wrestling, etc) which is necessary to actually apply a lot of the ground fighting joint locks taught in the art.

5. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I took it as number 2. Epa. Good comments!

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I don't do this, although it's principally just the forms that I don't do...but I also don't place nearly as much emphasis on tapi-tapi as he was doing at the end.

This is how I took the question, and I augment with elements of JKD (including the BJJ that was effectively part of it where I studied) and other FMAs to which I have been exposed.